Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ion 16 Breaks Cover

64K views 270 replies 42 participants last post by  jjkitt 
#1 ·
If you go onto the Nicolai website, there is a picture that shows the Ion 16 is being launched at Eurobike, complete with zerostack head tube.

#13 ·
Nicolai 2013

Argon AM
Frank Schneider has proven that an Argon AM is fast, aggressive and capable of
winning. In Master Class at Megavalanche race in AlpeD'huez he became first and
this is something special. The Argon AM, Gates Carbondrive ready, optimized for
150mm forks and a pleasant AllMountain geometry, leaves beside the Zero Stack
head tube and the new 12mm Thruaxle dropout no wishes unfulfilled.
A carefree Bike for the growing Trail Center community and epic alpine tours.

Helius TB
The Helius TB is the successor to the RC Helius.
A trail bike par excellence.
Travel 120-130mm, progressive kinematic flat steering angle, Zero Stack head tube
are the key features of these very easy to be accelerated Trail Center-weapon.

Helius AC 26 "2013
We have modified the geometry of the Helius AC completely
Optimized for 160mm trail forks, fitted with a newly designed shock rocker (150 and
140mm) and with much DNA of the Helius AM
An all-mountain / enduro bike for everyone who is looking for a swiss army knife
This can be both, your Everyday funride and your enduro race bike.

Helius AC 650b 2013

Although currently the choice of wheels and tires is limited, we decided for this
intermediate size between 29 and 26 inches.
The reason? Simple ... a rather small person looks a little bit lost on a 29er. A trail
bike with a lot of fun potential when running downhill and comfortable seated position
uphill.

Helius AC 29 "2013
Also in 29er AC we have set the pen again.
We can not and do not want to compete with the carbon sub 8kg bombers which start
peeing themself in front of the next curbside.
The decision to make our 29er so handy and downhill orientated as possible was just
logical. The result is a comfortable bike you can climb easyily and beeing even faster
down the hill.

ION 16 2013

The coronation of the 2013er model range
New and advanced technologies paired with a complete new formal language.
The Tapered Zero Stack head tube ensures a low front and maximeses the traction
on the front wheel
Reverb Stealth cable routing for a clean look and secured cable routing
Redesign all bearing locations, load-optimized bearings with additional sealing
elements maintenance-free and protected against corrosion.
142x12 rear with mounting guides.
160mm post mount brake mount
Geometry adjustment by ET-K (Excentric Trail Key) :)
A mini DH bike with 160mm which gives you pure downhill skills, but also brings you
comofortable up the hill.

Furthermore, the Helius AM (2013 Tapered ahead) initially remains in the program, at
least until the customers accept the Helius AC (160mm) or Ion 16 just as worthy
successor.

The geometries of the Helius AC 2012 and RC 2012 are no longer available from
All 2013 models include optional:
- Reverb Stealth
- ZS44/56 Zero Stack head tube as standard

#17 ·
So the Ion 16 will be fixed travel but variable geometry. No clues yet as to what that geometry will be but long and low is likely.

I'm going to speculate a little:

65.5 HA
74 SA
Medium at 595mm TT
Large at 610mm TT
BB +10mm
Am interested also if in fact it is going to have a really slack SA, but the final position of the saddle is in the correct spot, kind of like my AM 29er or the AFR was....

#20 · (Edited)
A few Ion16 sneak peeks

142mm Dropouts:

PM with metal inserts!!!

Quote Vincent Stohye (N- Salesman) "ION 16 Größe L raw (Prototyp) mit RS Monarch Plus 3553g (über 200g leichter als Helius AM L mit gleichem Dämpfer) "

I guess this needs no translation^^

200g lighter than an AM with same shock :eekster:

#21 ·
That would make the RS Monarch Plus 663g as a unit, which we all know is not the case.

Current AM is 3.1kg
Ion 16 with RS Monarch is 3.553kg
RS Monarch weighs 325g according to the SRAM website
Thus Ion 16 weighs 3.228kg

The only part that might not be accounted for in this is that the mounting kit for the Ion might be a lot lighter. But if the Ion looks to be 130g heavier, the mounting kit on the AM would have to be ~400g

#30 ·
I was considering a Helius AM Pinion...so much so that I had the deposit ready,...then news came out about the impending ION 16 release..

reset - so now it looks like I have to consider the ION 16 too as it seems to be a replacement of the Helius AM.

Well, I jsut got an email from Kalle himself stating that the Pinion gearbox will not be available with the ION 16 due to it not being able to fit with it's chainstays. Looks like my decision has been made for me: I'm sticking with a 2012 Helius AM Pinion

Just thought I'd pass along the info about 'no Pinions on IONs'

#40 ·
I was considering a Helius AM Pinion...so much so that I had the deposit ready,...then news came out about the impending ION 16 release..

reset - so now it looks like I have to consider the ION 16 too as it seems to be a replacement of the Helius AM.

Well, I jsut got an email from Kalle himself stating that the Pinion gearbox will not be available with the ION 16 due to it not being able to fit with it's chainstays. Looks like my decision has been made for me: I'm sticking with a 2012 Helius AM Pinion

Just thought I'd pass along the info about 'no Pinions on IONs'
Were those chainstays designed ultra-short so that they should not fit to the gearbox? Did Karlheinz clarify his argument a shade more? Perhaps you could ask him via e-mail (past EuroBike) and face a reply.

#33 ·
Hear you dude, it has been in my dreams for days.. Have spent loads of time in bed too, AND not for what you are thinking... Am trying to get over Pnuemonia before the Whistler trip on 5th September....

But yes, an ION 16 29er running XX1 if a no go with a Pinion.... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

#34 ·
Whafe you run Hadley hubs like I run king. Only issue with XX is neither manufacturer likely to be an early take up. I wrote to Chris King a month ago and they said no plans till they see if it takes off.

A lighter option is the MRP bling ring on an X0 crank with the MRP micro G2SL guide with 11-36 XX cassette and a xtr or xt clutch mech. Not quite the top and bottom range but pretty close and doable now.

#39 ·
I wouldn't rate that too high at the moment because the '13 frames Nicolai is presenting at Eurobike were most likely built in a hurry. I figure they're more like pre-production prototypes and there is porbably gonna be more or less changes to them before they are made available to the market....

there were quite a few "inconsistencies" with the '13 ACs that have been posted in the other thread, some had iscg tabs, others didn't, one had no seat tube gussets (maybe a S frame?)....

anyways, seeing that the Ion16 is part of the gravity range at N and the Ion 14 + 18 both have the "AM" Gusset I'm pretty sure the 16 will get that too.... at least I darned sure hope so ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.