Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 271
  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    If it makes you guys feel any better I ordered my Helius AC Pinion in December, was told it would be here in February. Still waiting. I'm looking forward to it though.
    You lucky man! By way of thanks for your brave waiting you have now the chance to order the all-new for 2013 PM rear and 142x12mm through-axle standard upgrades for your Helius AC PINION, formerly seen already at Eurobike 2012 (Ion 16). The overall surcharge is € 100.00. Those upgrades were unveiled at 2013 Lake Garda Bike Festival (Trentino, IT).


  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crank1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm6 View Post
    You lucky man! By way of thanks for your brave waiting you have now the chance to order the all-new for 2013 PM rear and 142x12mm through-axle standard upgrades for your Helius AC PINION, formerly seen already at Eurobike 2012 (Ion 16). The overall surcharge is € 100.00. Those upgrades were unveiled at 2013 Lake Garda Bike Festival (Trentino, IT).

    I enquired about this when I first ordered and was told "The Helius AC Pinion comes with 135x12mm by default, but we can tailor the rear end to 142mm.
    I would not recommend that, because this would cause 300€ upcharge and you don´t have any advantage out of it."

    It would have made wheel choices a little different. At least I know I can change it in the future if I decide to go that way.

  3. #203
    Distributor
    Reputation: nicolai-uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalla View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, certainly put my mind at ease. I guess I was getting attracted to all these new bikes being released and the 650b craze and wondering if i made the right decision.

    But I still think the Ion 16 is what I'm after, something that has amazing downhill performance, but can still be ridden uphill, and looking at your reports it certainly seems to be the case.

    Cheers
    Sounds like the Ion16 will be perfect for you - that's what they were aiming for. I've only had a quick spin on one at the factory but Vinc was raving about his when we were there.

    They've been running a little behind on production but more ION frames shipping very shortly. I'm told yours has been built - just needs to be coated and assembled. Should see you on the trails on it before the English summer finally arrives!
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    31
    No database yet for ION 16, what size frames have you bought?
    I'm thinking hard changing my Trek for the ION 16 to my next frame and can't even decide the frame size.

    I'm 171cm and my inseam is 81cm, my Trek Remedy's 17,5" frame is spot on with the 50mm stem, the ION 16 S-frame has shorter toptube and the M-size frame has longer toptube than the Remedy, the reach is the same with the Remedy and the S-size but the M-size frame has 15mm longer reach, which is about the maximum distance that I can move the saddle forward.

    So, if there's people with similar measures, please share some information, thanks!

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    137
    M size should be perfect for you. I'm 1,70 and have an AM in M size. ION 16 has a toptube 1cm shorter, as far as I know!!

  6. #206
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,373
    Quote Originally Posted by hmpoliveira View Post
    I'm 1,70 and have an AM in M size. ION 16 has a toptube 1cm shorter, as far as I know!!
    I think it is actually longer. 595 vs 585mm for Helius AM. And Ion has much longer reach - by 23mm. But is has 18mm shorter stack and steeper seat tube, so overall fit should be similar - just a bit more stretched. At ~174cm I ride M Helius with a 50mm slammed stem, and it is on the shorter side of my preference - but I do not ride at supersonic speeds..

    At 171cm I would think M is a better fit.

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I think it is actually longer. 595 vs 585mm for Helius AM. And Ion has much longer reach - by 23mm. But is has 18mm shorter stack and steeper seat tube, so overall fit should be similar - just a bit more stretched. At ~174cm I ride M Helius with a 50mm slammed stem, and it is on the shorter side of my preference - but I do not ride at supersonic speeds..

    At 171cm I would think M is a better fit.
    With the M-size the stretch is what worries me the most, but I don't want to be cramped either =) Nicolai help desk seems to be busy this time of year since they haven't replied to me in three days, I asked their opinion also for the frame sizing.

    It's a bummer that there's no distributor for Nicolai at Finland anymore, so testing the ION 16 frame size is more or less out of the question. Thanks for the quick replies, all help is appreciated!

  8. #208
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,373

    Ion 16 Breaks Cover

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis-FIN View Post
    With the M-size the stretch is what worries me the most, but I don't want to be cramped either =) Nicolai help desk seems to be busy this time of year since they haven't replied to me in three days, I asked their opinion also for the frame sizing.

    It's a bummer that there's no distributor for Nicolai at Finland anymore, so testing the ION 16 frame size is more or less out of the question. Thanks for the quick replies, all help is appreciated!
    If you look at the combination or increased reach and reduced stack, it kinda rotates you forward, a bit more aggressive position. If I put about 75mm reverse rize stem on my Helius and remove 10mm spacer under it (Though that is not the same for handling) instead of 50mm I have. Look like the trend nowadays. Bike with a similar geometry ideas that I tried a bunch - Yeti SB66 - feels a bit odd first, but then you get it. Obviously depends on your personal preferences, but I can't think of M being a bad fit at your height. With slacker front, and especially if used with a dropper post, no need to hang behind your seat as much.

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I think it is actually longer. 595 vs 585mm for Helius AM.
    It's longer... you're right. Sorry for that mistake

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    If you look at the combination or increased reach and reduced stack, it kinda rotates you forward, a bit more aggressive position. If I put about 75mm reverse rize stem on my Helius and remove 10mm spacer under it (Though that is not the same for handling) instead of 50mm I have. Look like the trend nowadays. Bike with a similar geometry ideas that I tried a bunch - Yeti SB66 - feels a bit odd first, but then you get it. Obviously depends on your personal preferences, but I can't think of M being a bad fit at your height. With slacker front, and especially if used with a dropper post, no need to hang behind your seat as much.
    OK, that helped a lot, it's somewhat hard to understand geometry just by looking at the numbers.

    I'm planning to use 170mm fork and KSi LEV -dropper post with the ION, so maybe it's a good thing that the top tube is longer, or do you think that it would be harder to lighten the front when top tube gets longer? (8mm compared to the Remedy).

  11. #211
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis-FIN View Post
    OK, that helped a lot, it's somewhat hard to understand geometry just by looking at the numbers.

    I'm planning to use 170mm fork and KSi LEV -dropper post with the ION, so maybe it's a good thing that the top tube is longer, or do you think that it would be harder to lighten the front when top tube gets longer? (8mm compared to the Remedy).
    I am just looking at the numbers - did not have a chance to ride those bikes back to back. Looking at Remedy's geometry - it is 1 to 2 degrees steeper head angle, and an inch shorter wheelbase. So you would not need to move back as much on Ion.

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    29
    Hi everyone , one vid of last Monday with my Ion 16


  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,415
    hi xixo, great looking bike, congratulations. Where's the trail?

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    342
    Just received an update, my ION16 frame is out of anodization and should assembled shortly with an estimated shipment date of early next week!
    Would be interested to hear from those who have built frames, what they think of their shock and fork choices, anything they would do differently or things they could not live without.

    Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  15. #215
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    206
    Lyrik RC2DH 170mm / X-Fusion Vector HLR Air
    the 170mil Fork does slacken the headangle noticeably, I ride it in the high setting at the moment. I love the shock and would buy it again with no second thoughts. What I would pay more attention to next time 'round is to not cut the steerertube as short as I did. the very low stack combined with ZS headset keeps the front waaaaay low. With the seatpost extended for "touring" my saddle is quite a bit higher than the bars and I'm having problems with my left hand fingers fallling asleep after 15-20min.

    looking forward to seeing your build!

  16. #216
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    What I would pay more attention to next time 'round is to not cut the steerertube as short as I did. the very low stack combined with ZS headset keeps the front waaaaay low. With the seatpost extended for "touring" my saddle is quite a bit higher than the bars and I'm having problems with my left hand fingers fallling asleep after 15-20min.

    looking forward to seeing your build!

    raschaa,

    Thanks for the info, especially the steer tube and stack height...I was planning to keep my steer tube longer so I can swap forks out between the ION16 and my 5Spot, but you just gave me a couple better reasons to keep them longer.

    Thanks again, look forward to seeing the frame and starting the build.

    Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    342

    My ION 16

    Hope everyone is having great start to your summer. Well, I received my ION 16 yesterday after ordering it in February. Pretty stoked to have it! I cannot say enough good things about John Fagone at Bike Medics who made this possible. It was a pleasure dealing with him (John) he truly made it easy! I would highly recommend anyone in the USA considering purchasing a Nicolai to contact and use John. PM me if you would like John's contact information.
    Cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ion 16 Breaks Cover-photo-8.jpg  

    Ion 16 Breaks Cover-photo.jpg  

    Ion 16 Breaks Cover-photo-3.jpg  

    Ion 16 Breaks Cover-photo-4.jpg  

    Ion 16 Breaks Cover-photo-5.jpg  

    Last edited by jjkitt; 06-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  18. #218
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    206
    Looooking GOOD^^

    by the way sre the pics taken at a bike shop or ist that your private "workspace"?

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    by the way sre the pics taken at a bike shop or ist that your private "workspace"?
    raschaa,

    Thanks for the comment, the pics are at my local bike shop and with my mechanic (Phil). Phil stayed late (after closing) to help me...he was pretty excited to work on the frame. Hopefully I can finish it by Sunday and go for a ride if the weather holds out.

    By the way, has anyone had any issues with the XX1 cassette? I think its one of the Hope EVO PROII XX1 freehub bearings binding when the cassette is on and mounted on the frame with the through axle fully tightened. My rear wheel will not spin freely, when I remove the cassette the wheel it does spins freely. Any suggestions would be most helpfull.

    Cheers,
    Last edited by jjkitt; 06-13-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Big black seal not sitting in its place properly... I fitted one last night.

    Looks ace

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah View Post
    Big black seal not sitting in its place properly... I fitted one last night.
    Thanks, I'll look into that!

    Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  22. #222
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,715
    New ION 16 is looking sick, cant wait to see it built up...

    I have set up a thread for ION16 builds etc Nicolai ION 16 Set-Up Database

    Keep the pictures flowing....

    Glad John has hooked you up well, have ridden and spent some time with him when i rode in his area, really cool guy...

    Enjoy the bike, then enjoy some more
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  23. #223
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    New ION 16 is looking sick, cant wait to see it built up...

    I have set up a thread for ION16 builds etc Nicolai ION 16 Set-Up Database

    Keep the pictures flowing....

    Glad John has hooked you up well, have ridden and spent some time with him when i rode in his area, really cool guy...

    Enjoy the bike, then enjoy some more
    Whafe,
    Thanks for the comments and the new ION 16 build thread. I found out my rear Hope Hub's bearingss are toast causing the issues with the XX1 set up. So these pictures are of my temporary build until I get the new hub installed. I will wait until complete before posting to the new thread.
    Initial test ride set for tomorrow morning, very excited!
    I have the CCDB air XV, set up per the Nicolai website. X-Fusion Slant up front which only comes with 203mm rotor mounts I find that a little frustrating, I would like the option to have the choice on what rotor size I want to run.

    Will post more after a few rides.

    Cheers,

    Ion 16 Breaks Cover-img_0256.jpgIon 16 Breaks Cover-img_0255.jpgIon 16 Breaks Cover-img_0254.jpgIon 16 Breaks Cover-img_0253.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ion 16 Breaks Cover-img_0252.jpg  

    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honourablegeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    861
    Loving that all black, nice one.

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    clamping the seatpost on the stanchion tisk tisk
    "When the gate drops the ******** stops"

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •