mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ion 16 Gussets I think.

Ion 16 Breaks Cover-gussets.jpg

mtbr member
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Bad choice. Very bad choice. It got to have dark red stickers.

Any plans on the shock and kit?

Axe,
    I have a CCDB air on my 5spot...after riding a CCDB air its hard to use anything else. Along with the CCDB air was thinking of checking out X-Fusion's Slant 34mm stanchion 160mm fork. Kit will be a bastard..XO/X9 shifters and mechs, XT ICE brakes, E*thirteen TRS double crank (175mm w/22-36t) w/ chain retention device. I just dropped off some Hope evo2 hubs to get laced up with Sapim spokes to WTB Frequency i23 rims. Probably a KS LEV unless Thomson's seat post comes out with a stationary cable.

Looking forward to the build, have time, looks like I'm in the week 16 production slot.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance.

Cheers,
    Last edited by jjkitt; 02-02-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by samwell View Post
    Looks like everybody switched to Ion from Helius. I guess the new frame features make sense when ordering new.

Keep us updated.

yet another stupid german
    This is almost unbearable...
    I've got all the kit waiting here and the frames are probably gonna be delayed 1-2 weeks because the gussets have to be welded on now....

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Along with the CCDB air was thinking of checking out X-Fusion's Slant 34mm stanchion 160mm fork.
    I can't recommend 170mm coil Lyrik with DH damper enough. Coil is completely worth a little extra weight. Everything else feels bad in comparison now. With 1.5" (49mm) tube I was able to keep the ride height by using Orbit E low stack headset - running 1.5" straight steerer. Stiff. I guess with the new larger low cup there are more choices for zero stack low cup.

DH damper feels very balanced with CCDBA in the back. I do not want shocks without separate LSC/HSC anymore. No more "platforms" or lockouts. Hope somebody makes an equally good light trail fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just put the deposit down on a large Ion 16!

Now comes the fun part of picking components.

mtbr member
    I can't recommend 170mm coil Lyrik with DH damper enough. Coil is completely worth a little extra weight. Everything else feels bad in comparison now....DH damper feels very balanced with CCDBA in the back. I do not want shocks without separate LSC/HSC anymore. No more "platforms" or lockouts.
    Axe,
    Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of getting a used coil fork as a back-up to use as a "fork-up" when I take the ION16 to the bike park...but after your comment I will have to take another look.

Cheers,

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Axe,
    Thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking of getting a used coil fork as a back-up to use as a "fork-up" when I take the ION16 to the bike park...but after your comment I will have to take another look.
    If you worry how you will climb with no travel adjust and no lockout switch - don't, IMHO. I can clear rocky climbs that I have trouble on my 120mm, 10lb lighter trail bike - with Magura Durin (not a bad fork at all) and pushed Fox Float. Its uncanny how CCDB and DH mission control keep things wobble and bobble free... With Ion's shock rate and stretched geometry it should be even better on the way up..

mtbr member
    Just found out my order has been confirmed for production week 20 with an estimated delivery of 1 JUNE. I was expecting a spot in week 16-17...so I am a little bummed that I won’t have the ION16 for my Ashville NC trip. But still stoked I'm confirmed/slotted and that I'll have the frame for my Durango, CO trip!

Hope all is well with everyone and looking forward to seeing everyone’s frames once they receive them!

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Just found out my order has been confirmed for production week 20 with an estimated delivery of 1 JUNE. I was expecting a spot in week 16-17...so I am a little bummed that I won’t have the ION16 for my Ashville NC trip. But still stoked I'm confirmed/slotted and that I'll have the frame for my Durango, CO trip!

Hope all is well with everyone and looking forward to seeing everyone’s frames once they receive them!

Cheers,
    Just one tidbit I just learned. CCDBA made before last Septemer or so, can be upgraded to high flow inner air can - service centers can do that. Sending mine out later today. It effectively reduces internal air-flow induced damping - so you can get it back with proper HSC and LSC adjustments if needed. This can is now standard. (And that is not the high volume outer can that just came out. Cane Creek people thought it also could be a good upgrade on my Helius - do not know about Ion as it has falling rate from the start).

mtbr member
    Just one tidbit I just learned. CCDBA made before last Septemer or so, can be upgraded to high flow inner air can - service centers can do that. Sending mine out later today. It effectively reduces internal air-flow induced damping - so you can get it back with proper HSC and LSC adjustments if needed. This can is now standard. (And that is not the high volume outer can that just came out. Cane Creek people thought it also could be a good upgrade on my Helius - do not know about Ion as it has falling rate from the start).
    Axe,
    I have the new high flow inner can on my 5Spot...it is fantastic and makes a world of difference. Plan to get the same configuration for the ION16 and try NICOLAI's tune they have listed in their 2013 catalog. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

that pretty much coincides with all ion16 orderers, on an average they have all been shoved ~4weeks behind planned schedule, same for me

Name:  dsc_9013_500px.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  86.1 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm new to this forum, but thought i would add my bit.

My Ion is due for shipping in week 10 as i got my oder in early doors, can't wait...

Having spoken with Nicolai on the CCDBA they recommended I purchased it through them as the standard model would not work well with the Ion design

Qoute from Moritz at Nicolai

"Our high volume DB air is not standard, but i don´t know if or when it will be available in the aftermarket.
    The standard DB air is way too progressive for the Ion 16, so it will just work poorly."

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    don't think so... you need high direct mount
    Note that they come in double and triple, and in dual pull and top pull. My guess you would need dual-pull (for bottom routing) and double (for bike usage)

mtbr member

CCDB air HV can and ION16 leverage ratio

Quote Originally Posted by sloanranger View Post
    I'm new to this forum, but thought i would add my bit.

My Ion is due for shipping in week 10 as i got my oder in early doors, can't wait...

Having spoken with Nicolai on the CCDBA they recommended I purchased it through them as the standard model would not work well with the Ion design

Qoute from Moritz at Nicolai

"Our high volume DB air is not standard, but i don´t know if or when it will be available in the aftermarket.
    The standard DB air is way too progressive for the Ion 16, so it will just work poorly."
    Sloanranger,
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your order in early. I wish I had, but it took some time to convince my better half.

I am also looking at the high volume CCDB air. I just read Pinkbike's review of the CCDB air with the high volume canister on a 2013 Banshee Rune. Cane Creek Double Barrel Air - Tested - Pinkbike
    They state the "new high-volume air can...better suits the Rune's progressive leverage ratio".
    So my question to bounce off what NICOLAI's rep said in regards HV can, does the ION16 have "a relatively progressive rear suspension rate"?
    ION16 ratio 2013.pdf

I think the answer is "yes" but would appreciate everyone's insight.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Ion 16 update

Ion 16 Breaks Cover-dsc_4097.jpg
    The answer to your question is definetley "Yes", which is why Cane Creek have developed the DB Air XV (extra volume) to accomodate progressive suspension tunes.

I have just recieved an email today from Nicolai with a photo of my main frame which is ready for powder coating this wednesday, so should be riding the new rig early next week. I'll post some pictures once i have it built up. The dissapointing news is that CCDB Air XV will not available till early April, but Nicolai have offered me an alternative shock until one arrives.

Check out the detail on the seat gusset, i wasnt expecting the "ion" machining, so yet another nice detail.
    Last edited by sloanranger; 03-04-2013 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    sloanranger,
    Could you re-post/re-attach the pic? For some reason mtbr says it's an invalid link?

Thanks for the information as well.

Cheers,

I don't see the Ion linkage as beeing overly progressive, if compared to Devinci Hectik, Norco Range or Banshee Rune they're all pretty much in the same ball park except for the Rune which regresses beyond 100mm... see Linkage

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I agree, I'm only regurgitating stuff. I think the problem lies only with the DB air as I understand it was developed to assist regressive and neutral suspension curves and would give a poor setup on a progressive setup, therefore cane creek introduce high volume inner can, but it would seem this isn't enough for the Ion platform and therefore Nicolai recommend the Extra volume setup which has just been released. But I could be wrong

mtbr member
    raschaa,

Thanks for the info...since my orginal question I have been informed that Malcom at Cane Creek recommends the standard can for the ION16. My ION16 is not scheduled to arrive until June, so I have time to "wait and see" what other ION owners do.
    Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,

hey jj,

friend of mine ordered with me as well and is getting ccdba so I should be able to give you a "heads-up" in the next 2 weeks. I have a 2013 x-fusion vector air waiting here for my Ion16, have one in my Ion20 and it works a dream there so I've got my fingers crossed that it will do me just as good in the 16

mtbr member
    raschaa,

Thanks, I appreciate it...its all guessing until someone takes it out for some drops and jumps (at least to me). I was also thinking the X-Fusion vector air would be a good option too. Did you order it direct from X-Fusion and did you get a specific tune?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

got mine from german distributor, they don't do special tunes but the clicker range is large enough to get it dialed well (at least on my ion20). i hear x-fusion usa does individual tune for I believe it was 50usd...

the first 38 ion16 frames in the temper oven:
    Ion 16 Breaks Cover-553134_567102179975971_467184614_n.jpg

mtbr member
    AWH MAN! Great pictures! Getting very excited, man June can't come soon enough!
    Ok, thanks for the info on the XFusion...yeah, I was aware the US office did tunes, just wanted to see if you had a specific tune. I will have to touch base with them.

Thanks again for the info, look forward to you and your buddies shock set-up suggestions and keep the awesome pictures coming.

Cheers,

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast