Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 271
  1. #101
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    222
    Ion16 is now on N website

    NICOLAI Ion 16

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Karve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,431
    Nice looking beast with a lower COG than older Nic frames.

    However its looks waaay less burley than my Helius FR. That weighed 3.47kg with gussets everywhere and an 1.5 headtube.
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

  3. #103
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    222
    hopefully sometime mid-february I'll be doing do some "burliness" tests

  4. #104
    Living the USA dreams...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    16
    I hope news too
    lol

  5. #105
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    222
    well here's some news for you folks regarding Ion16. It has just been "leaked" that 1st production run Ion16 will come with gussets at the headtube and therefore allow 170mm travel forks. most likely same style as AM... no pictures yet but one guy did some (photo)shopping:



    obviously the pressure by potential buyers got to them and Karve gets his "burliness" ^^

    I'm not 100% convinced I wnat or need the gussets, I kinda liked the clean look without.

  6. #106
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    well here's some news for you folks regarding Ion16. It has just been "leaked" that 1st production run Ion16 will come with gussets at the headtube and therefore allow 170mm travel forks. most likely same style as AM... no pictures yet but one guy did some (photo)shopping:



    obviously the pressure by potential buyers got to them and Karve gets his "burliness" ^^

    I'm not 100% convinced I wnat or need the gussets, I kinda liked the clean look without.
    So now it is the same as Helius AM, with linkage relocated to the downtube, no reinforcement brace as on Ion18, updated frame features, and no option to relocate upper shock mount, or restrict travel for a longer ride.

    Good. No urge to upgrade my AM for longer.

  7. #107
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    222
    well, not quite. it has updated geo, tapered headtube, pm rear brake mount, stealth ready and foremost the linkage characteristic of the Ion series. but if you already call an AM your own, well, I understand that there is less "need to have" involved^^. Since I was planning to buy an AM when news of the 16 came it was a no-brainer for me. they still haven't got it all worked out just yet, because it seems unclear as to where derallieur cable routing is going to run (toptube vs. downtube) etc.etc.

  8. #108
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    tapered headtube, pm rear brake mount, stealth ready
    That is what I meant under "updated frame features". All very good, but does not really affect ride.

    Well, geometry obviously does, I see they stretched it 10mm, slackened half a degree, and lowered BB 2 to 10mm - about par for 10mm less travel. And linkage ratio does not rise until sag point. Kinda following the recent trends. Meh.. it was already pretty dialed IMHO.

    I do like High/Low option instead of travel adjust. Travel adjust kinda useless for me. But I guess I can get the same effect by ordering a different front shock mount, from -3 to -5? Should do that...

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    The AM now comes with ZS tapered head tube and is stealth ready. My custom AM also has a +10mm BB.

    I'm not sure why they felt the AM couldn't be used to devel these new technologies in the pivot hardware, but I'm sure there is a good reason.

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    89
    What custom changes did you make Geetee?

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    30
    I have ordered from 1 month with a stronger down tube for fit a 180 fork ocasionally

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    Well in the end it turned out that I ended up with an Ion 16! It was all custom geometry as follows:

    HA 66 degrees
    BB +10mm
    TT 595mm
    Reach 419mm
    SA 73.5 degrees
    ST 430mm
    CS no change
    WB 1163mm

    Then I specified the ZS44/56 head tube, stealth drilling for a Reverb, full dark green ano, white extra love, black graphics, 30.9mm seat tube (means it was compatible with the Reverb I had at the time although in the end I just swapped that out for a stealth one. The thicker ST does mean that you can lose the bracing struts between the ST and TT though, which I think looks neater).

    One other thing I asked for was a bit 'tarty' but I like it and that was to have 'GeeTee' stamped into the right hand seat stay.

    Here it is:



    I also ended up swapping the wheels out. I had so many problems with the rear Haven (twice I ended up breaking spokes and had the usual endless trouble with the freehub) that in the end I demanded a refund and got one. I've replaced them with Enve AMs on Chris King hubs with Sapim CX Ray spokes, regular 32/32 and built by an Enve specialist local to me called Strada.

    I've only managed to ride it three times before I crashed and shattered my humerus. I'm almost done healing but I broke the bone beginning of October and am not allowed to ride again until February!

  13. #113
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    Here it is:
    I am not following - that is a Helius, is not it?

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    Sorry yes, it's a Helius AM. I meant that with the geometry changes I made, I ended up with the same geometry as the Ion 16. I'm sure it's pure coincidence but I was making the specification at the same time the Ion 16 was on the drawing board. I had conversations with Vincent about the Ion so I knew it was coming and that most likely it would be very close to what I wanted but in the end decided not to wait. I ordered mind in the summer last year and got it in the middle of September.

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    Well in the end it turned out that I ended up with an Ion 16! It was all custom geometry as follows:

    HA 66 degrees
    BB +10mm
    TT 595mm
    Reach 419mm
    SA 73.5 degrees
    ST 430mm
    CS no change
    WB 1163mm

    Then I specified the ZS44/56 head tube, stealth drilling for a Reverb, full dark green ano, white extra love, black graphics, 30.9mm seat tube (means it was compatible with the Reverb I had at the time although in the end I just swapped that out for a stealth one. The thicker ST does mean that you can lose the bracing struts between the ST and TT though, which I think looks neater).

    One other thing I asked for was a bit 'tarty' but I like it and that was to have 'GeeTee' stamped into the right hand seat stay.

    Here it is:



    I also ended up swapping the wheels out. I had so many problems with the rear Haven (twice I ended up breaking spokes and had the usual endless trouble with the freehub) that in the end I demanded a refund and got one. I've replaced them with Enve AMs on Chris King hubs with Sapim CX Ray spokes, regular 32/32 and built by an Enve specialist local to me called Strada.

    I've only managed to ride it three times before I crashed and shattered my humerus. I'm almost done healing but I broke the bone beginning of October and am not allowed to ride again until February!
    I know this is a little off-topic

    Love this

    Ive seen you over on STW. Seriously thinking of going for a AM. If you dont mind me asking with that custom geo how tall are you?

    Also roughly, what sort of price are we looking at for a complete custom build frame?...So tempted to replace my s-works enduro with one.

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    881
    I suggest you contact Dipper to sort out current prices, they've gone up a bit for custom charge but he is very good. richard@gravity-sports.co.uk

    I love my Nicolaaaaiiiiii..
    Aka chainline...

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    I know this is a little off-topic

    Love this

    Ive seen you over on STW. Seriously thinking of going for a AM. If you dont mind me asking with that custom geo how tall are you?

    Also roughly, what sort of price are we looking at for a complete custom build frame?...So tempted to replace my s-works enduro with one.
    Hi there - great to be in touch and thanks for the question. Yes I am on STW, I try not to waste too much time there but I dabble every now and then. I've also met some great friends via that site so it's mostly all good

    To answer your question, I am just shy of six feet tall with a 32" inside leg. I previously had a large AM before this one, with the seat tube cut down so that it was only 15" (that wasn't quite what I had expected but it worked just fine anyway).

    I also came to the Helius AM from a 2005 Enduro (not sure which model year you have); I loved that bike and only replaced it because I eventually cracked the butress that split the seat tube where the damper went. I had a medium and the large Helius AM was the closest to that in terms of length. The bike I have now is more or less identical to the Enduro I had before.

    The large felt great in terms of length but having also owned other bikes that were shorter in the cockpit, I realised that I wanted something slightly shorter than the 605mm TT of the large but not as short as the 585mm medium. Hence I went exactly half way between them at 595mm.

    The biggest change I made was to lower the BB. This is personal preference and suits my riding style better. I went +10mm above the chainline, which more or less equates to other bike manufacturers' quoted heights of 13.3"

    The up charge for a full custom frame is now 650 (it was 500). I used to think 500 was a lot but honestly for all the additional work they have to do to make a custom frame, it doesn't surprise me that they had to increase the price.

    The price then of my frame above is a bit eye watering. With all the extras (green ano front and rear, white levers, custom geom, my name stamped on the seat stay ) I think the final price was 2740 and that doesn't include the shock

    Yes, not cheap, but I was able to liberate 900 from my old frame and this was a 40th birthday present.

    Depending on where you are, I would be very happy to let you try mine or if you're not close, I am sure that there are people nearby who would offer you the same courtesy. Tell us where you are and what you're looking for and we'll all try to help get you into the group!

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    Hi there - great to be in touch and thanks for the question. Yes I am on STW, I try not to waste too much time there but I dabble every now and then. I've also met some great friends via that site so it's mostly all good

    To answer your question, I am just shy of six feet tall with a 32" inside leg. I previously had a large AM before this one, with the seat tube cut down so that it was only 15" (that wasn't quite what I had expected but it worked just fine anyway).

    I also came to the Helius AM from a 2005 Enduro (not sure which model year you have); I loved that bike and only replaced it because I eventually cracked the butress that split the seat tube where the damper went. I had a medium and the large Helius AM was the closest to that in terms of length. The bike I have now is more or less identical to the Enduro I had before.

    The large felt great in terms of length but having also owned other bikes that were shorter in the cockpit, I realised that I wanted something slightly shorter than the 605mm TT of the large but not as short as the 585mm medium. Hence I went exactly half way between them at 595mm.

    The biggest change I made was to lower the BB. This is personal preference and suits my riding style better. I went +10mm above the chainline, which more or less equates to other bike manufacturers' quoted heights of 13.3"

    The up charge for a full custom frame is now 650 (it was 500). I used to think 500 was a lot but honestly for all the additional work they have to do to make a custom frame, it doesn't surprise me that they had to increase the price.

    The price then of my frame above is a bit eye watering. With all the extras (green ano front and rear, white levers, custom geom, my name stamped on the seat stay ) I think the final price was 2740 and that doesn't include the shock

    Yes, not cheap, but I was able to liberate 900 from my old frame and this was a 40th birthday present.

    Depending on where you are, I would be very happy to let you try mine or if you're not close, I am sure that there are people nearby who would offer you the same courtesy. Tell us where you are and what you're looking for and we'll all try to help get you into the group!

    Thanks for that much appreciated....Hope you dont mind me posting here. Dont want to ruin your thread


    Im the same height as you and was tempted with your old AM when you was selling.

    I currently ride a 2010 enduro carbon but find the large a little too long and the medium a bit too short, being inbetween sizes at a shade under 6ft.

    The top tube length of 595mm is that actual or horizontal ?

    Many thanks

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    Thanks for that much appreciated....Hope you dont mind me posting here. Dont want to ruin your thread


    Im the same height as you and was tempted with your old AM when you was selling.

    I currently ride a 2010 enduro carbon but find the large a little too long and the medium a bit too short, being inbetween sizes at a shade under 6ft.

    The top tube length of 595mm is that actual or horizontal ?

    Many thanks
    That is the horizontal measurement. If you PM me through here and send me your email address I can send you the design drawings so you can see how it all lays out.

    595mm ended up giving me a 420smm reach.

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    352
    Good day all,

    I have a question in regards to ordering an ION16. Those that have ordered one, how did you complete the order? Via email or over the phone? I have sent a couple of emails to Nicolai, but have not received responses (could be spam filter). I would like to call but do not speak German and do not want to be perceived at an "ugly American". Is calling an option?

    Additionally, for those who have ordered could you PM me on why you bought one and explain the ordering process? I have a 2012 Turner 5Spot and love it! However, I want to ride a little more aggressively and try some amateur eduro and use it at a bike park.
    Thanks for your time.

    Cheers,

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,447
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Good day all,

    I have a question in regards to ordering an ION16. Those that have ordered one, how did you complete the order? Via email or over the phone? I have sent a couple of emails to Nicolai, but have not received responses (could be spam filter). I would like to call but do not speak German and do not want to be perceived at an "ugly American". Is calling an option?

    Additionally, for those who have ordered could you PM me on why you bought one and explain the ordering process? I have a 2012 Turner 5Spot and love it! However, I want to ride a little more aggressively and try some amateur eduro and use it at a bike park.
    Thanks for your time.

    Cheers,
    No problem with speaking English to them, I've done it a number of times in the past.

  22. #122
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Good day all,

    I have a question in regards to ordering an ION16. Those that have ordered one, how did you complete the order? Via email or over the phone? I have sent a couple of emails to Nicolai, but have not received responses (could be spam filter). I would like to call but do not speak German and do not want to be perceived at an "ugly American". Is calling an option?

    Additionally, for those who have ordered could you PM me on why you bought one and explain the ordering process? I have a 2012 Turner 5Spot and love it! However, I want to ride a little more aggressively and try some amateur eduro and use it at a bike park.
    Thanks for your time.

    Cheers,
    They do not answer emails right away, but they do answer. No problem with English. Mine is worse. I have ended up placing an order through their US representative, which was slightly cheaper delivered. Mailed a deposit check, than the balance after the frame was done. I have emailed the features I wanted (color, cable routing, extra water bosses etc.)

    I bought Helius AM because I wanted a longer travel bike to replace my Kona, with better (subjectively) suspension and more modern frame features - to be run with 170mm fork. I was considering switching it to 650b, but decided against it in the end. I have a 120mm FS trail bike as well.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    352
    loamranger and Axe,

    Thanks for the replies. I just might call them next week.

    Axe, who is the US rep? Could you pass me their contact information? Is it just "usa@nicolai.net"?

    Last quesiton, do you know their production run schedule? I think they have a projected delivery for April on orders now. If I order in a month or so will it be a couple month wait or will I have to wait for another production run 6-12 months from now.

    Thanks again!

    Cheers

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    352
    Hey I want to thank everyone for their help. Just got my ION16 (lg) ordered! Going "STEALTH" black ano frame, extra love black ano on the bits, with black glossy stickers!

    Cheers,

  25. #125
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    Hey I want to thank everyone for their help. Just got my ION16 (lg) ordered! Going "STEALTH" black ano frame, extra love black ano on the bits, with black glossy stickers!

    Cheers,
    Bad choice. Very bad choice. It got to have dark red stickers.

    Any plans on the shock and kit?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •