Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 270
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm6 View Post
    Today Vincent STOYHE of NICOLAI communicated that the "Ion 16" mantadory will be available with the PINION P1.18 gearbox from around Easter 2013. That´s good news.
    Good to know, thanks Wilhelm...regardless - I just placed an order for a Helius AM...I like the looks of the Helius AM over the ION

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by irban_bike View Post
    Good to know, thanks Wilhelm...regardless - I just placed an order for a Helius AM...I like the looks of the Helius AM over the ION
    Gratz! Would be nice if your Helius AM could sport some of the innovations of the Ion 16 like ZS, PM, new sealed bearing design, new 142mm drop-outs.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kalkhoffpink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm6 View Post
    Gratz! Would be nice if your Helius AM could sport some of the innovations of the Ion 16 like ZS, PM, new sealed bearing design, new 142mm drop-outs.
    I would also choose the AM over the ION 16 just because of the variable rear suspension and overall looks. Do not need ZS, I use some spacers anyway and 135x12 suits me fine. The only thing would be the new bearing design, but the actual one of the AM is not the worst at all….

    Greez, Andy

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,379

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Dunno. Just made a research of the German forum MtB-News.de, only one hit, no suitable informations. If you are interested, you can read a current test in the magazine "World of Mountainbiking", issue 7, 2012, pp. 70-80 online for free (in German, translate it online yourself) or buy a download immediately for € 2,99 (see heading line of the linked website).

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honourablegeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    860
    Man, I'm sorely tempted. When are these available?

  7. #57
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    174
    Production plan for the Ion16 is January so will be sending mid to end of February... Vincent said they were going to build as many as they get orders. One in Raw, size L is for me!

    The aforementioned wheels have one serious drawback. Rim inside width is very small at 17mm and will probably only handle a max tire width of 2.2. I have a pair of those "cheap chinese carbon rims" coming my way that I am going to lace to my SunRingle Charger Pros with 24 spokes. I hope those do the job on my Ion 16 then...

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pfalz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16
    Latest tech sheet here

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    The Price is 2299 Euro, same as ION20

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pfalz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16
    Sure? I had a short chat with Vinc a few days ago, he said 2199 Euro...

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    got an e-mail from him yesterday

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kalkhoffpink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    141
    400 Euros+ from an Helius AM???...so we have to pay the R&D for it...

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    23
    ~3469 Euros for anodized frame with ccdbair /if shock price is the same as ion20/
    I guess pinion version will be ~5000 Euros
    That's the most expensive 160mm frame on the planet...

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drakche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    60
    Has anybody found out if the ION 16 will allow 170 mm or even 180 mm forks? I want to send them another email, but they didn't answer my first mail regarding some questions about ION 18.

    Do they even answer the info[at]nicolai . net mail?

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kalkhoffpink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by drakche View Post
    Has anybody found out if the ION 16 will allow 170 mm or even 180 mm forks? I want to send them another email, but they didn't answer my first mail regarding some questions about ION 18.

    Do they even answer the info[at]nicolai . net mail?
    Sometimes it can take a while to answer....

    As far as I know the standard ION 16 will allow 160mm forks, but you can order it with a stronger down tube for 170mm. 180mm is not allowed yet….

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drakche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by kalkhoffpink View Post
    Sometimes it can take a while to answer....

    As far as I know the standard ION 16 will allow 160mm forks, but you can order it with a stronger down tube for 170mm. 180mm is not allowed yet….
    thanks man.
    I asked for 180 since the length of x-fusion vengeance @ 170 is 565 mm, same as 180 mm fork. I hope the will allow it. I think that 160/180 mm conf would be ideal allrounder.

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kalkhoffpink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by drakche View Post
    thanks man.
    I asked for 180 since the length of x-fusion vengeance @ 170 is 565 mm, same as 180 mm fork. I hope the will allow it. I think that 160/180 mm conf would be ideal allrounder.
    I think that the idea is not to restrict the fork because of the lenght, but for the things you would do with 180mm in front. IMHO the bike is not made for stuff you normally use an ION 18 for. The lack of an 180mm option has been discussed in the german forum too and the most were disappointed about that.

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drakche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    60
    so basically the restriction isn't pn travel but on the use of the bike. Because I'd use the bike for enduro/freeride (not even half of rampage stuff.).

  19. #69
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    174
    to chime in with my fellow countryman, N is most likely trying to make sure the ion16 is not used beyond its designated spectrum. FR is a term that conjures up visions of hucking and the likes which the frame has not been designed for. Its intended use is enduro racing where alot of guys are riding 140-150mm bikes. as is typical for any Nicolai it will probably withstand quite a bit of abuse, but alas there are a lot of folks out there that will break pretty much anything...

    as mentioned above this has been the center of quite a bit of debate in geman mtb-news forum. bottom line is that most buyers will be running it with a 170mm fork seeing that that is more or less standard for that bike category. it will probably do just fine as long as you don't start "heavy hitting" with it.

    if in doubt the Ion18 is probably the bike for you and all owners I have spoken with rave about its uphill capabilities, albeit it is not a xc bike^^

    regarding your mail not getting answered; their second salesperson Moritz is off work due to a massive crash at Megavalanche and Vincent is drowning in mails (up to 400 daily...).

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drakche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    60
    I've seen the debate, but alas I don't know German. I've thought about the ION 18, but I think that it is to heavy for Enduro racing. I thought mainly because I'd like to run it with 170 X-Fusion (which is the same length as an 180 mm fork) or Marz 55 just to have a bit of reserve if the going get tough. No big hucking and rampage style riding. The most extreme will be something like Whistler or some shore-like technical riding. But it will mainly be a enduro ride and epic all-mountain travelling, with an occasional light FR. But seeing from the videos The Helius AM was more than capable for that stuff, So I'm hoping that the ION 16 will be more than up to it. I like it more because of the awesome HA.

  21. #71
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    174
    Yo, right there with you M8! the geo is what makes it so attractive^^

    I've ordered mine and will be running it with a lyrik@175mm. I'll try to stay away from the DH-tracks or better yet use my Ion20 for those. I'm pretty good at hitting my lines and staying clean so I'm not worried about stability....

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kalkhoffpink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by drakche View Post
    I've seen the debate, but alas I don't know German. I've thought about the ION 18, but I think that it is to heavy for Enduro racing. I thought mainly because I'd like to run it with 170 X-Fusion (which is the same length as an 180 mm fork) or Marz 55 just to have a bit of reserve if the going get tough. No big hucking and rampage style riding. The most extreme will be something like Whistler or some shore-like technical riding. But it will mainly be a enduro ride and epic all-mountain travelling, with an occasional light FR. But seeing from the videos The Helius AM was more than capable for that stuff, So I'm hoping that the ION 16 will be more than up to it. I like it more because of the awesome HA.
    If you expect the ION 16 to be more stable than the AM than you are wrong.
    One hint is the frame weight of the ION 16 which is 200g less than the AM.
    Next is you can order the AM with the AFR downtube which is than good for
    180mm forks. The geo of course is not new-school and the suspension is more
    linear than progeressive. The ION 16 still has no gussets in front, but might get them
    when finally released. For Enduro-races the ION 16 should be the better bike. For a
    Do-It-All-Bike I personally would prefer the AM, and I am close to pull the trigger on it.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drakche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by kalkhoffpink View Post
    If you expect the ION 16 to be more stable than the AM than you are wrong.
    One hint is the frame weight of the ION 16 which is 200g less than the AM.
    Next is you can order the AM with the AFR downtube which is than good for
    180mm forks. The geo of course is not new-school and the suspension is more
    linear than progeressive. The ION 16 still has no gussets in front, but might get them
    when finally released. For Enduro-races the ION 16 should be the better bike. For a
    Do-It-All-Bike I personally would prefer the AM, and I am close to pull the trigger on it.
    Maybe there will be an option for ION 16 with ION 18 downtube. Although it's lighter for 200g, I think it wont represent a problem, since N frames are beefier than the rest of it's class. I think it will get the gussets up front. And the seat tube gusset differs from the rest of the ION lineup. So pretty much, until February, we have no idea how will it look. It's really a tough call between the 18 and the 16, but I think that the travel in the 18 is a bit overkill, in the afr you could take the travel down to 160. I think I'm gonna wait a bit before pulling the trigger, because I really like the 16, and would like to see the difference between the ION 16 And Helius AM in some reviews. There are pros and there are cons, always.

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honourablegeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    860
    Reading Nicolai's own blurb, they talk about keeping the Helius AM in the lineup until customers accept the Ion 16 as a replacement.

    I'd prefer the updates on the Ion (12x142 & tapered HT) to the AM, and of course the 200g saving - just not sure if it'll pedal as well - it's billed as "mini DH" as opposed to AM.

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kalkhoffpink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by drakche View Post
    Maybe there will be an option for ION 16 with ION 18 downtube. Although it's lighter for 200g, I think it wont represent a problem, since N frames are beefier than the rest of it's class. I think it will get the gussets up front. And the seat tube gusset differs from the rest of the ION lineup. So pretty much, until February, we have no idea how will it look. It's really a tough call between the 18 and the 16, but I think that the travel in the 18 is a bit overkill, in the afr you could take the travel down to 160. I think I'm gonna wait a bit before pulling the trigger, because I really like the 16, and would like to see the difference between the ION 16 And Helius AM in some reviews. There are pros and there are cons, always.

    A shootout between those two would be very interesting, though they are made for different tasks. For now there will be the stronger downtube for 170mm forks, like said before. Maybe you are lucky and there will be a second option for 180mm.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •