Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    "Its All Good"
    The dropouts etc look stunning, true Nicolai quality...

Going to be a very adaptable bike..... Roll on Eurobike
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Chamois Dropper
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    How can you be sure this is the Ion 16 rather than an 18? It looks like the headset may be zerostack and i know that the top cup on this new head tube is definitely ZS44 rather than ZS56 (as that is what is coming on my frame) so that might be the give away.

Other than that, it looks pretty much like an Ion 18.
    What saddle is that?
    Last edited by Whafe; 08-23-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

yet another stupid german
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    What saddle is that?
    Specialized Phenom Pro Carbon, but the owner says it is not very durable.....

Another piece of the puzzle^^

I spy: standard iscg tabs, reverb stealth routing
    Last edited by raschaa; 08-24-2012 at 02:03 AM.

mtbr member
    I like the smaller rocker of the AM better...this one and those on the "older" IONs are so massive....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was considering a Helius AM Pinion...so much so that I had the deposit ready,...then news came out about the impending ION 16 release..

reset - so now it looks like I have to consider the ION 16 too as it seems to be a replacement of the Helius AM.

Well, I jsut got an email from Kalle himself stating that the Pinion gearbox will not be available with the ION 16 due to it not being able to fit with it's chainstays. Looks like my decision has been made for me: I'm sticking with a 2012 Helius AM Pinion

Just thought I'd pass along the info about 'no Pinions on IONs'

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pinion to Ion 16. Why not? They fitted a fugly gearbox to one already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Right that's it. I want one in 29 flavour Ion 15-29. Tonight I shall mostly be dreamIng about bike design and colour schemes...
    Aka chainline...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Right that's it. I want one in 29 flavour Ion 15-29. Tonight I shall mostly be dreamIng about bike design and colour schemes...
    Hear you dude, it has been in my dreams for days.. Have spent loads of time in bed too, AND not for what you are thinking... Am trying to get over Pnuemonia before the Whistler trip on 5th September....

But yes, an ION 16 29er running XX1 if a no go with a Pinion....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Whafe you run Hadley hubs like I run king. Only issue with XX is neither manufacturer likely to be an early take up. I wrote to Chris King a month ago and they said no plans till they see if it takes off.

A lighter option is the MRP bling ring on an X0 crank with the MRP micro G2SL guide with 11-36 XX cassette and a xtr or xt clutch mech. Not quite the top and bottom range but pretty close and doable now.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What's gonna be the weight on the ION16 frame?
    Nicolai Helius AFR frame size L for sale.

steep fast and loose :)
    never mind all that sh1t, get well soon Whafey !

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    To speed up Whafey´s pulmonary recovery - two pipe dream pics of the Ion 16 fresh from Eurobike 2012 (courtesy DRAILLE Bike Loïs, Colombe, Rhone-Alpes (FR), DrailleBike.com at FaceBook.com)

Hope you will conquer that vicious pneumonia as fast as possible!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    For me this new frame ION16 has a big problem: there are no reinforcements along top/down tube and headtube!! It looks very much like AC... and since I already bent an AC frame on that place I wouldn't buy one, sorry!!!

yet another stupid german
    I wouldn't rate that too high at the moment because the '13 frames Nicolai is presenting at Eurobike were most likely built in a hurry. I figure they're more like pre-production prototypes and there is porbably gonna be more or less changes to them before they are made available to the market....

there were quite a few "inconsistencies" with the '13 ACs that have been posted in the other thread, some had iscg tabs, others didn't, one had no seat tube gussets (maybe a S frame?)....

anyways, seeing that the Ion16 is part of the gravity range at N and the Ion 14 + 18 both have the "AM" Gusset I'm pretty sure the 16 will get that too.... at least I darned sure hope so

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by irban_bike View Post
    I was considering a Helius AM Pinion...so much so that I had the deposit ready,...then news came out about the impending ION 16 release..

reset - so now it looks like I have to consider the ION 16 too as it seems to be a replacement of the Helius AM.

Well, I jsut got an email from Kalle himself stating that the Pinion gearbox will not be available with the ION 16 due to it not being able to fit with it's chainstays. Looks like my decision has been made for me: I'm sticking with a 2012 Helius AM Pinion

Just thought I'd pass along the info about 'no Pinions on IONs'
    Were those chainstays designed ultra-short so that they should not fit to the gearbox? Did Karlheinz clarify his argument a shade more? Perhaps you could ask him via e-mail (past EuroBike) and face a reply.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Pics, pics, pics ...

Courtesy guru39

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    BTW, wouldn´t that be a nice match to the Ion 16?

X-FUSION Prototype
    • Single crown, inverted design
    • Travel: 160mm
    • Air sprung
    • Uses twin-tube HLR damper from Vengeance
    • External adjustments: rebound, separate high and low compression, air pressure
    • Weight: 4.3lbs (claimed, prototype)
    • Availability: TBA
    • MSRP: TBA

Courtesy PinkBike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm6 View Post
    Were those chainstays designed ultra-short so that they should not fit to the gearbox? Did Karlheinz clarify his argument a shade more? Perhaps you could ask him via e-mail (past EuroBike) and face a reply.
    The email came from Kalle / Karlheinz...i should however clarify my previous statement as Karl/Kalle said that the ION 16 can't work w/ a pinion due to swingarm clearance...he didn't not say that this applies to the other IONs..

"Its All Good"
    Thanks for sharing some ripping great pictures from Eurobike.... Very nice to see...

On the recovery now, again, don't get Pnuemonia, far from good.... Am on the speedy heal for a Wednesday 5th departure from NZ for Whistler... Yeah ha.... Feeling a million times better than this time last week... Thanks for the get well massages...

I cant stop steering at the ION 16!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Freudian slip Whafe? "steering"

In my mind now is would it ride any different to an AM/AC.

Thinking 29er. 150mm as on other thread but with the 'new' goodies e.g. easy geometry change, revised bearings, revised dropouts, brake mount/headtube.
    Aka chainline...

"El Whatever"
    Those Ion 16 are just way too sexy.

Get well, Whafe!!
    Rock on 5-Sept!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Has anyone ridden an Ion compared to an AM or AC, more an AM I guess.

I am very tempted to ask Nicolai to build me a 150mm 29er Ion based on the 16/18 as it has a number of features Nicolai wouldnt do for me earlier this year. However they have at least listened and begun to make them available.

So I have a great 29er AC/AM hybrid, I love it. None of the features is a compelling reason to change. So I am interested as to whether there is any discernable ride quality/character differences.
    Aka chainline...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    So I am interested as to whether there is any discernable ride quality/character differences.
    No experience, but here are some comments on the Ion 14 from Antonio Osuna (the guy behind the Jeronimo Cycles designs).

Linkage Design: Nicolai ION 14 2011

Also discussed here...

Ion 14 thoughts

Basically, what he says is that is very similar to the Helius line and has good characteristics. The main difference being the leverage ratio being linear on the Ion against the linear-progressive of the Helius.

The Ion 14 (according tho those numbers) should pedal a little firmer than the Helius and be a little less sensitive in the early travel... which is desirable on a 4X bike like the Ion 14.

The Ion 16 may be an entirely different animal, though. It's brand new, so hardly anybody has ridden it.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Finally the tech sheet:

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by irban_bike View Post
    The email came from Kalle / Karlheinz...i should however clarify my previous statement as Karl/Kalle said that the ION 16 can't work w/ a pinion due to swingarm clearance...he didn't not say that this applies to the other IONs..
    Today Vincent STOYHE of NICOLAI communicated that the "Ion 16" mantadory will be available with the PINION P1.18 gearbox from around Easter 2013. That´s good news.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast