Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was doing a few calcs today as now the Ion29/15 is finished my brain is idle and I need something else to occupy it. I'm interested in getting a 16 ( hopefully someone will want to 'upgrade' to a 650 ;-) as a second bike at the other end of the spectrum for no other reason than I like the idea. Also this 650b thing brings back an idea I had a few years ago but a 29 wheel on the front of my Helius AM was going to make all sorts of mess with the geo..

My thought was to modify it with a 650 front and big tyre but be able to put the 26" back.

Looks like if you put it in high, run a 650b (or 26" that will take it) 160mm 555 a2c fork and a -0.5 headset it makes some nice looking numbers..

Anyone tried it just at the front. It keeps the stays 10mm shorter than a 650b is likely to be, bike will be a bit shorter too but with some of the bigger wheel thing going on out front...
    Last edited by the_pilot; 09-27-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    Aka chainline...

yet another stupid german
    yes, been kickin' that idea around myself... let us now how it goes

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    My thought was to modify it with a 650 front and big tyre but be able to put the 26" back.

Looks like if you put it in high, run a 650b (or 26" that will take it) 160mm 555 a2c fork and a -0.5 headset it makes some nice looking numbers..
    I am thinking about replacing 170mm Coil Lyrik DH(with zero stack headset) with 650b 150mm Pike on my Helius. But it rides so good as is. Though that would save me like 500g from the front.

I definitely prefer 170mm rear travel to 650b with 150mm..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks like 170mm Bos Deville would still be 555 A2c so would be fine with a 650b front.

If you run the Ion in high and use a -0.5 angleset, 650b wheel, 555mm a2c fork it should only change the SA by 0.1mm, at 73.9, place the HA at 65.5deg and the BB height slightly lower than the high setting, which looks like a really good setup to me. The SA helps climbing, as does the BB height on tech, but its still lower than the high setting.

Might have to hunt for a 16 frame next year..
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    But when is the tech sheet out for the 27.5?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Polarcherry

Imagine an Ion16 except with 10-15mm longer top tube, a slightly steeper seat tube angle, similar to the Ion15, a slightly longer CS and more BB drop...you wont be far out.

is there something you're worried about or is it sizing?
    Aka chainline...

the_pilot is probably pretty close with his assessment but I wouldn't be so sure about the longer CS (or max 5mm) and the BB "hight" is most likely gonna be around what the 26er has, more drop is because of bigger wheels. IIRC all N 2014 frames had around 10mm more TTlength than their predecessors, which I think is a good move because they were always a tad on the short side...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    which I think is a good move because they were always a tad on the short side...
    I am not sure how a bike can be on a "short" side. They have sizes? I find my Helius perfectly sized for me. If it was not, I would have bought a size bigger..

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Longer top tube is always good and def. the way the whole industry is going.

Just can't wait till everything is official and that doesn't happen till the tech sheets are out and the product becomes real :0)

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarcherry View Post
    Longer top tube is always good and def. the way the whole industry is going.
    Rather it is designing for a shorter stem and wider bars. Human body size did no change.

OK, I'll make my statement more precise...

I for one am 189cm and wind up between L/XL. The jump in TT length from L to XL at N is always much bigger than between other sizes and the XL frames always have massive wheelbase which I do not want so I always opt for L... OK custom would be an option but thats quite expensive on top of an already expensive frame. The MTB club I'm in has a co-sponsoring deal with N and we have about 70 Nics rolling. Alot of the other guys are saying the same about being between M/L. If you take a look at the geos of most other frames you will see that the pre 2013 frames tend to be on the "shorter side".

my2

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Raschaa - have to agree with everything you say. A longer front centre with a longer toptube esp. When combined with a short stem and wide handlebars. Gives you stability and sure footed descending with the added bonus that that it makes the bike more comfortable for climbing as you have more room to breath.

Bravo Nicolai

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    If you take a look at the geos of most other frames you will see that the pre 2013 frames tend to be on the "shorter side".

my2
    That is correct at least for my Helius AC 2010... I normally ride an M and anything from 23.25" to 22.75" fits me well. My 2004 Medium Titus Switchblade was 23.25" effective Top tube. The Nicolai is 22.8". My Medium Giant Warps 2003/2004 were dead on 23".

Definitively, my AC is on the short side of Medium. Not a bad thing, I can live with it as the bike is awesome and I am not very picky when it comes to lengths and such. I am very sensitive to BB height and seat/steer angles, though and my AC nails it. Those have a much greater effect to me but everyone is different.
    Check my Site

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Those have a much greater effect to me but everyone is different.
    Top tube can be tuned with stem, bar sweep, saddle setback. Steering angle an BB height - not so much..

2012 Helius AM medium is 23" ETT (585mm). 405mm reach. About average among my other medium sized bikes..

mtbr member
    My Nucleon had a custom longer top tube but when I bought my AM I decided to live with the standard medium, but I would like it longer. The Ion 16 medium has the top tube length I would have custom asked for... But I'm currently running longer on my hardtail and liking it lots... More like the 650b/Ion 15 length. I'm very tempted to go for an Ion 16 this year but the wheel size debate is making the decision harder than it should be. Ideally I want to try some more bikes before making up my mind... which will delay when I buy. It's all so difficult!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rascha, 8mm longer CS by the way...maybe 😏
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hopefully we shall see a tech sheet soon. On one of the German forums, Nicolai stated the 27.5 Ion 16 would be released officially to the world last week presumably with tech sheets.

Nothing as of yet though, but can't be long......

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi everyone , a new vid with my Ion 16 , I hope you like it
    1080p available

mtbr member

Ion 16 Breaks Cover

Happy Independence Day from the US of A. Road the Hermosa Creek trail just north of Durango CO.

Cheers,

"I like the cut of his jib."
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11