Thread: Ion 14 thoughts

Distributor

Ion 14 thoughts

Tech sheet now up -

http://www.nicolai.net/index.php?article_id=152&clang=0

What do people think? I'm wondering about requesting a larger size (maybe two) with a longer top tube/seat tube. Could turn it into an awesome playbike but for the UK I reckon you need the extra TT/ST to get it to the top of the hill without pushing.

Any demand?
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai-uk
    Tech sheet now up -

http://www.nicolai.net/index.php?article_id=152&clang=0

What do people think? I'm wondering about requesting a larger size (maybe two) with a longer top tube/seat tube. Could turn it into an awesome playbike but for the UK I reckon you need the extra TT/ST to get it to the top of the hill without pushing.

Any demand?
    That's a sweet looking ride. I'm noting the dual settings of 4x and Bike Park with the 4x being a shorter travel with a steeper HTA and the Bike Park being quite relaxed. That's a cool idea to have both versions. Is there a shock stroke change involved or is it all in the shuttle and link holes? I bet more people buy these as play bikes than dedicated for racing. We're seeing tons of these style frames at our local dirt jumps these days. Transition Doubles, Tazer-VP's, Killswitches, Rampants, Specy SX's, etc. About the only ones I haven't seen pop up at our local spot is the Dartmoor Shine and the Dobermann.

Sizing wise, I'm glad to see the large offering with a 403 reach. That version will make for a much more fun trail ripper and bike park setup. Besides, when you get down in the 380 reach area it's hard to x-up or bar spin with 30" bars. And this definitely looks like a bike for a rider who would be inclined towards such antics. Clearance for 2.5" tires is also a solid design decision, no one want's to run 2.1's or 2.25's in a bike park.

For reference, I've been on an Intense Tazer-VP in the med (23" TT) version since last fall as an all-around dirt jumper and trail ripper. It's light, stupid fast and a riot on the jump trails. Actually, it seems to find jumps where they don't really exist. I've got an angleset in mine to set it to 66.5* which is coincidentally the same as the ION-14 in Bike Park mode. It's bang-on for a bit more stability and even a fair bit of confidence on the steeps.

Oh and with a Reverb, I can pedal my tazer all day seeing as how I'm only 5'8"...

Distributor
    My reading of the tech sheet is that the BikePark 'setting' is actually a different build - a 40mm longer travel fork slackens the head angle by nearly 2 degrees and raises the BB height by 16mm. Switching from a 50mm stroke to 57mm stroke shock increases the rear travel without actually altering any of the geometry.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    ah, makes sense. Similar scenario with my Tazer. Angleset, longer fork travel, and set in 4" rear travel mode. Just noticed there's no frame weight posted, curios to see where it comes in at. Somewhere around 7.5lbs with shock would be nice.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread with pictures of Intense bikes. I had a UFO-DS a few years back that I used for all-around riding and quite enjoyed it. It was perhaps a bit too heavy, tall and steep as a modern bike though, so glad to see the update.

Here's a shot of my old-skool UFO-DS gettin it done in Moab->

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would have one, but would deffinatly need the extra lenght and a bit on the seat tube too. will go on the buying list for 2012 when i get back from africa....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm interested in getting one of these. As a taller guy I would also definately need a longer top tube / seat tube.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Some kinematics informations from Antonio OSUNA´s blog "Linkage Design" for the mechanical engineers lurking around here (written in Spanish):

Nicolai ION 14 2011

Una de las novedades de este año dentro de la marca Nicolai ha sido la ION 14, en teoría es un cuadro de Slopestyle y 4-Cross... pero si Nicolai quisiera podría sacar un modelo de Enduro bastante interesante con esta configuración.

En los siguientes graficos vemos el funcionamiento del sistema...

Como podéis ver la eficacia de pedaleo de la ION 14 es muy similar al de toda la gama de Helius. El punto de giro principal no está tan alto como en la ION de DH y por eso el porcentaje de Anti-Squat está un poco bajo. El pedal Kickback sin embargo está muy bien y el cuadro solo tiene 9º de retroceso con un 32-15. El Brake Squat está en un 68%, una buena cifra, como suele ser habitual en todos los cuadros con Horst Link.

En la gráfica del Leverage Ratio vemos cual es la principal diferencia entre la ION y la Helius. La ION tiene un LR progresivo totalmente uniforme, mientras que la Helius es Lineal-Progresiva, el tramo inicial de la Helius no afecta demasiado pero el LR de la ION combinado con un amortiguador de aire puede suponer una pequeña ventaja.

Un saludo.