mtbr member
    Jun 2007

An interesting proposition

So need a new commuter, sick and tierd of v brakes and chains and mechs so was thinking of getting a nicolai road bike.

Was thinking of getting a custom frame, the geometery will be worked out seperatly,

I'll have the gates carbon drive with an alfien hub, and rear disc mounts on the road frame.

Does anyone have a nicolai road bike,

does anyone have or used the gates carbon drive,

and does anyone use an alfine hub,

The idea is for the bike to be total stealth, so i'm going to ask nicolai to not put any stickers, or have any names machiend into the frame, except for maybe the made in germany bit.

All the components will be un branded or unknown brands so it doesn't look pimp, tho i want a well sealed headset and .front hub.

The front hub will have to be disc break compatable with seald bearings and a small or non existant logo. does anyone have any ideas.

And i was thinking aobut a recet racing headset as noone has heard of them

local trails rider
    I don't have any of that stuff but the idea intrigues me.

Road wheels or MTB? MTB clearances would allow some big and cushy slicks. Apparently, Argon Road tends to be a pretty stiff frame...

I think there's some cyclocross forks, with disc brake attachments, that should work.

edit:
    perhaps some inspiration... Have you seen Amaro Bikes from Spain?
    http://www.amarobikes.com/supermotarden.html
    http://www.amarobikes.com/rossellinien.html

maybe not so stealth... but it could be. Belt drive might catch somebody's eye too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well I am kinda thinking that the belt drive might put people of, at least you can not steal the rear wheel easily.

Was thinking either touring forks or cyclocross forks, depends on what touring forks we can find with disc mounts.

It will road wheels, probable either strong touring rims or cyclo cross rims (probably the same) with semi fat tyers. Nicolai can always build more clearerence for a phat tyer on the back by extending the chainstay. and with some nice carbon bars should soften the front end out.

I am a big lad, so i think the stiff nicolai frame might be just what i need

I'm not sure of what bars to have, flats with bar ends so i can change position or the roadie hung down ones.

With teh roadie hung down ones i would have to have the alfine shifter on seperate ( though i need to check the clamp on the shifter to see if it will fit onto roadie bars) then run cable discs from those roadie brake shifters if they provide enough pull on the cbale to enable that.

the carbon xc bars would allow me to have a more conventional set up, but wouldnt allow me to be so low on the bike, and like i said if i have bar ends it provides me with another position

What are peoples thoughts on the whole set up

local trails rider
    BB7 mech discs also come in a "Road" variety that are designed to work with road levers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    AFAIK (Karl) Nicolai hasn't found a satisfying solution for opening the frame to insert the belt. On the other hand, if you would order one now, by the time you get it, the problem propably is solved.

I guess you know those skewers (and seatclamps), which can only be opened with a special key, that only matches that special pair of skewers. Should be a good stealing prevention.

Something like that:

Fat & Single
    Do it . I will be sweet to see that finished bike ian . Very swish
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec

Alfine

Hi mate,

Sounds interesting, i use a cannondale badboy for my commuter and its alfine equiped.
    Great hub, i've done about 450 miles so far and not even the slightest hickup.

The frame on my commuter is also super clean due to the internal cable routing, really does look like a singlespeed but with 8 gears

Heres a pick when i gotit but i've since made it even more black and shortened the stem and swapped some components like a black ano chain!!!

I'll take a pic @ the weekend.

Cheers

Derek
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That is super clean. thats something like what i want to end up having. I looked at the badboys but i couldn't get one to fit me properly.

testemna, nicolai already have several belt drive bikes awaliable, you can spec it on any of the argons, and the touring nicolai. And thanks for those dquewers, i didn't know about them as i've never looked into doing this properly....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey,

about the skewers: those above are just examples. There are ones that look "nicer", although that's may be what you don't want, if you seeking for a more stealthy look.

about the bealt-drive: yeah I know Nicolai already has some models ready. The thing is, a guy from a German forum, who owned several Nic's in the past (and still do) and as such has a good connection to Nicolai, ordered a Argon with the Gates belt drive a while back and after 3-4 months he was tired of waiting, because Karl wasn't satisfied with the current solution for opening the frame to insert the belt. That doesn't necessarily mean, that that "current solution" isn't good and won't work over the years, but it's not up to the "Nicolai standard". The guy with Argon meanwhile switched for a standard Rohloff model.

Cheers...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    hmmm thanks for the info, not going to order it until august, just trying to work out in my head how its going to work, hopefully nicolai will sort ssomething out by then, i'll check to see if they have worked it out by then and if not just go with a chain. thanks for the imput guys

"Its All Good"
    This is a great sounding concept commuter bike Ian, look forward to following this one through....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I find this a very inetresting post since I am working on a very very similar project.
    Commuter
    Custom frame
    stealth
    carbon drive
    rohloff hub
    Reset racing headset (yes I swear ;-) )
    I can not really share any experinece yet, since the bike will only be assembled in around a month I think.
    But all components have been ordered and some are in already.

Once the bike is up and running I will certainly share my experience with this board but as said, this will probably come a bit late for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    no i am not ordering the frame for 2 months then as it is custom it will take another 3 months, so i'l looking at around 5 months, very interesting to see yours

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    My tailored FR was < 8 weeks so you never know!
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    what frame are you going for surfhenk

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Well.
    I have decided to go full stealth mode and have ordered a custom frame from China
    I am curious myself how this is going to work out in the end, suspense suspense

Members who have read this thread: 0