mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Help: Sourcing a ti spring for CCDB on Helius AM

Hi all
    I'm not a regular poster on here but I do know Scotty and GeeTee.
    I've had a CCDB on my AM for nearly 6 months and I'm delighted with it. I'd like to upgrade to a ti spring and am finding it impossible to source one. Having spoken to Malcolm at Cane Creek I know they recommend DSP and Renton ti springs. I've spoken to LoCo many times (he distributes DSP springs) and he's just not getting any stock, can't find anything in the UK from Renton and I'm not keen on the Nukeproof option as they seem heavier at any given size then DSP, plus I've heard the quality isn't that great. I'm after 2.25 x 500.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi Richard - I've had a renton ti spring in the past and at that stroke and weight it came out too long for the CCDB so I ended up having to compress it quite a bit to get it on (not enough free length).

Can't comment about he DSP ones but I wonder whether they make anything shorter than 2.75"?

I have a Nukeproof spring at the moment for the 155mm setting but will need to get a 500lb for my trip to Verbier in a few weeks. Probably I will end up with a Nukeproof one. THey are still about 40% lighter than a steel equivalent and they fit over the CCDB. The CRC pro DH team use them so they aren't all that bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Cheers Greg
    I've been in touch with Si Paton at Descent Gear and his reply was similar to yours ref: Nukeproof and the CRC team so that sounds like the way to go. On another note have you got any further uplift action planned over the summer? - I'm trying to get another CwmCarn day in but as ever diaries are the challenge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No uplift days planned as yet. I haven't been to Cwmcarn is such a long time but for a few years there I was riding it pretty much every other weekend so it holds less appeal now than it did. Still would be good to revisit the scene of at one time or another a shattered collar bone, broken wrist, buised kidneys, heamatomoah-omaha or however the hellomah you spell it......

Now Gawton is a different kettle of marine life. Have you been there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Touch wood I've been injury free at CC thus far....as for Gawton, well I've been looking a few videos from there and it looks rather intimidating, I'd pretty much decided it was a bit too much for me at the moment - have you clocked the woodwork road gap? - plus it's a helluva long way to go

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Finding other than Nukeproof ti-springs is hard today ...
    Diverse (DSP) seems to be out of mtb-spring business. Try this one for Renton springs - http://www.velobikestore.com/rcs.htm - mr Davide Riva is helpful guy, delivered few spings for me last summer

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The woodwork road gap is too big for me. Roger would probably do it but it is pretty substantial and you do need quite a bit of speed. Get it wrong on the landing and it's going to be a trip to the infirmary. But you can easily ride the line to the left and it's almost as fast.

The great thing about Gawton is that there are three tracks, all of increasing difficulty. HSD is easy to ride but harder to ride really fast. It's fun whatever speed you take it at and you can ride it on a hardtail.

SuperTavi, aka 'the new 1.04' in Dirt, is a pretty decent DH track. It's not that techincal but there are parts to it that are tricky. The last but one turn in particular is hard as it's off camber and quite steep. You need a certain level of commitment to get around it and then be reasonably comfortable running out with your wheels locked before you hit the berm of the right hander at the bottom.

Other than that there's nothing on there that's too bad. If Cwmcarn is a 5 our of 10 for technicality, I'd say SuperTavi is around a 7.

Then there is Egypt, which is evil and very hard in the wet, not too bad in the dry although the course has worn a lot since I last rode it and I've heard its got harder since then. That's easily the most technical course I've ever ridden and there was one section I never actually got down clean, i.e. where I didn't have to stop and manouver the bike round/pick myself up from a crash.

It is a long drive, you can't do it in a day either, but it's a good place to push the envelope. Tavi Woods are around the corner and while they don't have an uplift, the riding there is more accessible, more relaxed and loads and loads of fun. Like FOD but a bit more challenging.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So aug bank holiday, cwm carn uplift, fod uplift, then gawton uplift?

Clocked Gawton from maidstone in 3hrs

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Don't have enough free time this year for Gawton, limited to there and back in a day, it sounds good though...

steep fast and loose :)
    i use a 500# 2.25" Nukeproof Ti spring on my CCDB.

Dave at STENDEC gets them cheapish - Give him a tinkle.

mtbr member
    My CCDB arrived this AM from TF Tuned, Great service as only placed the order last Thursday and the order was confirmed Friday after I supplied some measurements. Here by 10am today :-) Just have to work the rest of the day before I'm able to get home and bolt it on the bike.

Keep us in the picture SHR as I will be looking to save some weight on Kermit as all I have done of late is add weight ! Went tubeless saved 100 grams and very happy with how the bikes rides even after a rather large rear tyre burp last week :-), Fitted Rockshox Reverb and very happy with the ease of adjustment when on the move.... Well worth the added weight.

Update on spec and total weights to follow.....
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Scott
    Got my Nukeproof ti spring at the weekend and fitted it yesterday. Weight saving isn't very dramatic - haven't weighed them back to back but can't be more than 150 grams or so, however it does look nice.
    On another note I used TFT a couple of weeks back to PUSH and service the DHX 5 on my new UFO (another story) and their service is impressive.