mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Help me setup my Dhx

After a big change around I've found myself being the proud owner of a new Helius ST fitted with a Dhx5 coil shock.

My last bike was a FR fitted with CCDB & Devilles, which was a stunning combination but to fund the new project this lot has been sold.

The problem I'm having is that my feet are being bounced off the pedals on succesive big hits - I never had this issue with the CCDB, but I can't believe this is something I can't solve on the Dhx.

The ST and Dhx is a combination I've actually owned before (lord only knows why i sold that one), and I didn't have that problem then.

Can anyone give me some tips for tuning the Dhx?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Feet being bounced off suggests that there is more force coming through the bike than is ideal. That could either be because the suspension is ramping up to quickly, the spring rate is too high/too much pre-load, or the shock is packing down.

If it's the ramp up, then wind the bottom out adjuster a little. This will make the suspension less progressive, will make the travel feel more linear and ramp up less. This will make the bike more prone to bottoming out but it will feel softer through your feet until you bottom out, at which point it will clunk and you'll get the same force through your feet.

If it's the shock packing down on high speed hits, then I'm not sure whether the rebound adjuster on that unit drives the high or low speed rebound. I think it's the low speed, but you could still try speeding up the rebound, i.e. wind off some of the rebound damping, maybe three or four clicks.

If none of this works, then maybe you've got the wrong spring rate?

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The problem i had on my DHX Coil was oil flow.It seemed to lock out when it had to deal with bigger hits.It was only after i had it Pushed that it felt better,and lost this Kicking feeling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I think I've sussed it.

Its packing down. The frame is brand new but old stock, and having took the shock out and cycled the rear end its still quite stictiony (if such a word exists). I had this before on a new old stock helius from Momentum. It just needs a bit of TLC on the pivots.

When trying to set sag its not sitting into its travel properly, meaning when static it appears correct, but when riding the natural movement gradually pushes it deeper into its travel until its only using about the last 20mm of the shock.

Gonna strip the pivots and clean them up a bit from the old sticky oil, and see how it goes then.