Thread: HELIUS or UFO

Aficionated Member

HELIUS or UFO

Hello everyone!

I would like to have your help. Can someone give a hand? I'm cosidering to change my DH frame. I love Nicolai frames, but i'm in a big doubt, i like both frames, Helius ST and Ufo ST.

What do you consider the best for Local DH races? and downhill in bike parks. I ride DH basically, not extrem freeride, no big drops, etc.

Thank you so much for your help.

ZePequeno

banned
    Feb 2008
    From what I've heard the Ion is the illest DH bike on the hill right now.They(Nicolai)put alot of time and money this year into designing this Ion and into redesigning the Helius FR.I just saw my first 08 FR up close the other day and man o man did they make an all ready sick frame just that much sicker. I know right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sounds like the Ion ST is the one to have for pure DH. ST would be more of an all-rounder
    with dual. Otherwise the new, new strengthened FR with totem or 66?

Aficionated Member

Which size?

After my experience in other bikes, Yeti ASX and my actual bike, Devinci Wilson '05, I think i'll need something in between.

ASX is a FR bike, and Wilson a DH worldclass. Since i have been watching and studing geometries of many bikes, first i though the Intense Socom as the ideal bike, but since i saw the Nicolai Helius ST, it will be the one, i guess.

Now my problem is the size. In my Devinci Wilson, i feel like driving a truck, to long for DH races where there is no big drops and high speed, just corners and technical tracks. With that bike i feel very confident for jumping, but i'm looking for something more easy to move in that kind of tracks. Yeti ASX is easy to drive, but not really stable, the geo is more FR.

The both sizes are M, and i'm 5'10", but i think for the nicolai the S size will be the correct one.

Some nicolai user could help me?

Thnax so much for your comments.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Have a look at the thread "Sizing for ST" in this forum.

a tight kick sound
    Yo,
    I have a ufo st in medium. This thing rocks my socks. she is just sitting in the garage right now though. I am building a new DH rig and all time and money are going into that.

The UFO is def a great bike. I road an asx for a little while and would say this thing is similar to that asx but WAY WAY more stiff laterally. They both have geo and travel adjust, the UFO has more though Both frames were mediums, though the UFO fit a little smaller than the ASX. The chainstay length on the UFO is quite a bit shorter or at least feels like it. Makes the bike SUPER snappy in the tight stuff. The seat tube is def shorter on the UFO too.

I have yet to build mine up with a dual-crown and full 8" coil in the rear. Many folks have raced this frame in that format. They seem to like it a lot. I will say that I have never ridden any other bike that excellerates over nasty rough shiz like this thing. I just let go and it feels like it accelerates where others would just bobbles around.

I have had mine built up with a 6" air fork and air shock...came out to 36.5 lbs
    That is def versatile!!

Feel free to ask any other more specific questions

Aficionated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Yo,
    I have a ufo st in medium. This thing rocks my socks. she is just sitting in the garage right now though. I am building a new DH rig and all time and money are going into that.

The UFO is def a great bike. I road an asx for a little while and would say this thing is similar to that asx but WAY WAY more stiff laterally. They both have geo and travel adjust, the UFO has more though Both frames were mediums, though the UFO fit a little smaller than the ASX. The chainstay length on the UFO is quite a bit shorter or at least feels like it. Makes the bike SUPER snappy in the tight stuff. The seat tube is def shorter on the UFO too.

I have yet to build mine up with a dual-crown and full 8" coil in the rear. Many folks have raced this frame in that format. They seem to like it a lot. I will say that I have never ridden any other bike that excellerates over nasty rough shiz like this thing. I just let go and it feels like it accelerates where others would just bobbles around.

I have had mine built up with a 6" air fork and air shock...came out to 36.5 lbs
    That is def versatile!!

Feel free to ask any other more specific questions
    Looks really interesting bike, light and versatile. Now i have a Yeti 575 for my enduro trails, i use to ride that bike most of the times, every weekend and i use to go to the Megavalanche with that cause is really light, 13,5 kgrs, i can block rear shock (Fox RP23) and adjust fork travel (Fox 36 RC2 air) and i'm able to climb and pedaling almost as if i was riding a XC bike. When downhill arrives, i have just to change the fork travel and unblock the shock and then i have a bike that goes down really well.

So, i'm thinking maybe the Helius is a more DH bike than the UFO, maybe less versatile, but as i said, i have the Yeti 575 as a versatile bike, i'm looking for a DH frame but not a worldclass DH frame, cause they are too heavy and big for me, i'm looking for a light DH frame, like Intense Socom. I was wondering if it's correct to consider teh Helius ST a frame similar to the Socom. Maybe the ION ST would be the one.

I'm in a sea of doubts,

Thanx so much for your coments.

Jorge

a tight kick sound
    I don't know if the Helius would be more of a DH bike than the ufo. They could both be built up to a pretty competetive DH race rig. About the same weights if you are careful.

One thing to consider, the UFO is a single pivot and the Helius is a horst link. The riding charactersitics will most likely be a little bit different. For me, I really liked the geo of the UFO and was not as concerned about pivot style. Now geo is really not a big issue though with Nicolai frames as you can get pretty much anything you want

I am not sure which frame you could compare to the socom? The Socom is a VPP style bike while the Helius is horst and UFO sp. All these bikes are going to ride a bit differently. I would guess that the weight of the Socom is a little less than the two Nicolai frames as well.

I guess one good suggestion is to think about where you will be riding this rig the most. Do you have to do any pedalling at all on any of the trails? Is it mostly steep gnar gnar rock infested trails or is it most fast flat out DH with the occasional rough section?

One other thing to think about is price. The UFO is going to be a good chunk cheaper than the Helius. You could buy a UFO and stick a CCDB shock on there and be at the same price as a helius frame I might think (maybe an over-statement?)

wyrd bi ful rd
    Any chance you can demo a Helius and a UFO, then you can at least decide from there as the rear travel is all different.

As for sizing, once you have decided which frame to get, then all you need is what you feel comfortable with as you can get custom sizes from Nicolai. eg: a size S for the seat tube and M for the top tube etcetc.