mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Helius Suitability Question!!

I'm looking for a do it all bike to replace my current XC and DH bikes, I ride trail centre, occasional DH and prefer down to up. I have a trip to Les Arcs in July , last time I was there I rode a UFO DS which coped perfectly but thats long gone. So I'm thinking 2012 Helius AM, angles are not dissimilar form the UFO, slacker than my Yeti 575 which felt like it was going to pitch me over the bars on anything pointing down and able to pedal the flat bits which my Cove didn't allow.

So have I made the right choice? Also looking at a Last Herb 160 but the spec is not so good.

mtbr member
    Perfect choice. And if its a medium you need, see a couple posts down!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Definitely interested. Full build spec and price to bsniceAThotmailDotco.uk please!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Last Herb 160 weighs quite a bit more than the Helius AM; 3.7kg versuys 3.1kg. I'm on my second AM now, having spent three years on my stock one, I went full custom with the main change being a much lower BB but the stock one is just fine.

I've ridden mine on a number of DH courses including Gawton, Cwmcarn and Forrest of Dean in the UK and the monster DH track off La Flegere in Chamonix. I've also done 10 hour days in the Lakes and Wales and in Verbier. It's chased down people on full on DH bikes in the Alps and full on XC bikes on the Surrey Hills (although it's much better at the former than the latter).

The Ion 16 would be the other choice but Dipper is selling a very lightly used one in medium at a reasonable price. There was also one on SingletrackWorld that was brand new which sold for 900 the other day!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great stuff thanks. The frame on stw was the older geometry or I would have tried to make the deal. Simon has a few mediums on the website at 1250 with full 5 year warranty but would ideally like a full lightly used build. And it is a medium I'd want.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Was it? I thought that having the longer levers also meant it was the second generation with the newer geometry. The guy had been trying to sell it for ages which was such a mystery because it is lovely. It first appeared about five months ago and sold yesterday!

mtbr member
    Geetee
    That was a frame I sold and it was the older geo. was still cheap though!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Actually, I took down the ad as it was haunting me all day selling it. Crazy I know, as I have advertised it a few times and a buyer was about to take it a month ago. But, it flung me into a dilemma the other day and I just couldn't let it go - plus a running injury means I could now really use it. The price also bothered me, rightly or wrongly. Anyway, I've still got a new (and beautiful) frame to enjoy this year. The older geometry is fine for me.

The black one above is a lovely frame btw. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks. I kick myself for selling the UFO , I must have had temporary insanity. Hopefully the purchase of a nice slack helius am will ease the pain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a1helius View Post
    Actually, I took down the ad as it was haunting me all day selling it. Crazy I know, as I have advertised it a few times and a buyer was about to take it a month ago. But, it flung me into a dilemma the other day and I just couldn't let it go - plus a running injury means I could now really use it. The price also bothered me, rightly or wrongly. Anyway, I've still got a new (and beautiful) frame to enjoy this year. The older geometry is fine for me.

The black one above is a lovely frame btw. Good luck.
    Good plan! Be a shame to sell it without riding it first. Nothing wrong with the old geo either. Maybe not aggressive enough for real steep and sketchy stuff compared to the new geo but makes a great trail bike all the same
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    i am considering to move to the Helius AM; i have a dubt about the right size and i need your help: i am 174cm tall. normal bodytype construction....i think i am in the between of the Small size and thef Mediun size....what do oyou think about ??...thanks

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingscared View Post
    So have I made the right choice? Also looking at a Last Herb 160 but the spec is not so good.
    Perfect choice IMO. I can also highly recommend CCDBA and Lyrik Coil 170 DH damper combo. (Using zero stack Orbit E headset for 1.5" steerer and 1.5" 49mm headtube - so static angles are the same as with 160mm fork and external cup)

Compared to 575 with a fox shock it is a magic carpet ride, though it does not climb as well. But well enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Pesecane, you are only 4 cm shorter than me. I would say a medium and run a nice short stem, start with a 50mm.
    Aka chainline...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Compared to 575 with a fox shock it is a magic carpet ride, though it does not climb as well. But well enough.
    I take it back that it does not climb well. Today I have cleaned a climb that is usually a problem for me on a 10lb lighter trail bike, with lockouts. I think I have finally hit the perfect LSC and HSC settings on CCDBA and Lyrik coil DH. Still soft, and smooth, but no wallowing or buckling when cranking uphill over rocks. And once it does it - traction is excellent.

The only problem is that going on to lesser shock and forks on my other bikes feels.. disturbing. I wish somebody puts similarly performing dampers in XC weight gear. I should say that Helius with those shocks is the best general purpose mountain bike (for what I like) that I have ever ridden - and I have tried a few.

And yes, medium with 50mm stem is spot on perfect for 174cm.