mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Helius steering issues

At low speeds the steering of my 2005 Helius feels very unstable and as soon as it gets slightly off-centre actively pulls left or right - off-putting on slow, tight bends. I'm using Revelation forks and the problem persists at any fork length or rear shock setting. I've also played around with the head set (CK, appears fine) and the frame seems true. Has anyone else noticed this - is it just a function of the relatively slack head angle?

wyrd bi ful rd
    what frame do you have? based on what i can gather on your post, it would seem like it is the slack head angle ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sorry, it's a Helius CC (large)!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Does your headset have a flat spot in the centre? That might cause it to feel like it is actively pulling to either side.

wyrd bi ful rd
    make sure you keep your fork travel to below 125mm ...

20081105 nicolai 2005 cc spec MTBR FORUM.jpg

Distributor
    The fact that he says it seems to be independent of fork travel setting actually suggests something else. I'd expect a bike to steer noticably quicker at 100mm rather than 130 on a Revelation. However, the 05 CC was optimised for a 100mm fork so it should feel best at that setting on undulating singletrack.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com