mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Helius ST shock leverage ratios

Does anyone have shock ratios for a 2008 Helius st?

Just need top hole and bottom hole on swing link.

Ta
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Travel in mm / shock stroke in mm = leverage ratio

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    On my own at the moment so I can't do any measurement.

Nicolai reccommend 223mm x 57mm stroke (or 70mm stroke vivid). However, I've just fitted a 241mm x 76mm stroke Dhx air shock - I've had to move the forward shock mount forward 2 holes, but it all fits nicely, without any part fouling, and best of all it seems to suit the bike.

The basis of my question about leverage ratios was, why does it seem to suit the bike so well?

I tried it on the bottom hole of the swing link (supposedly 160mm using a 57mm stroke shock), and it feels relatively slow compression damping. I'm guessing that this must be approaching 2:1. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't feel unuseable, and i think in the big hills and long descents it will be spot on. However, it feels more "normal" on the upper holes.

Basically, I'm just trying to understand why all this is happening. Anyone feel free to discuss.

Cheers,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    222mm shocks afaik all have 70mm of stroke. So, an 08 Helius ST with 200mm max. travel has a leverage ratio of (200/70=) 2,86. And in the 160mm travel mode 2,29.

Quote Originally Posted by mark2404
    However, it feels more "normal" on the upper holes.
    Maybe because it was designed for maximum travel, so it feels best/normal/natural there. Would be my guess.

With the 76mm stroke shock the ratio changes to 2,63 (200mm travel) and 2,11 (160mm travel).

mtbr member
    You have to remember that in changing the travel setting which in turn changes the leverage ratio will affect all your suspension parameters. i.e. by lowering the leverage ratio you need to lower the air pressure and lower the compression & rebound damping.

By changing your leverage ratio by approx. 20% like you have you would need to adjust the air pressure and damping by the same or it will feel like you've described.

Hope this helps.