mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Helius ST with E-Type front mech

Anyone running a Helius ST successfully with an E-Type front mech (& E.13 DRS)?

Just finished building up my ST and was wondering about running it without the front mech tower, trying an E-type mech and retaining the full 200mm of rear travel.

Thanks

'All over it!'
    I have also wondered about the fitting of an E-Type Front mech. I was going for the ST prior to ordering my FR, but couldn't see the point in the ST when limited to 180mm of travel, hence the FR. I would imagine Err, Whafe or Boone will give us an answer as the subject matter experts.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I haven't tried this, it might be worth a shot.

Although, I have to say, that my Helius-ST felt best to me at the 180mm setting, even when hitting the biggest jumps/drops that I've done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by floki

Just finished building up my ST and was wondering about running it without the front mech tower, trying an E-type mech and retaining the full 200mm of rear travel.

Thanks
    I'm running my ST on full travel with a dual ring setup no probs. I've made my own shorter post to mount the front mech and running a low mount, never had any clearence issues at all, might be more of an issue with larger than 2.5 tyres though.

morgs

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by floki

Thanks
    Some of us pondered on this in a thread about a completely different frame. Read the whole thing...

Where is the IONs?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Some of us pondered on this in a thread about a completely different frame. Read the whole thing...

Where is the IONs?
    Wow, that derailleur tower is huge, no wonder it fouls the wheel on full compression. My mount is made from a cut off piece of steerer tube, the top cap finishes it off nicely and with a bottom swing mech you can make the tower much shoter than the standard one by the look of it. Which explains why I haven't had any clearence issues.

The photo shows is reasonably well. This is not long after the first assembly, the head angle has been slackened and the front end dropped a little bit since, but they do seem tall at the front end. Soon forgotten once you get rolling though.
    Attached Images Attached Images