mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Helius ST Build - Component Choice

Hi Guys

I am trying to complete an ST build on a tight budget. I need brakes and cranks. There are currently some good deals on the following:

Brakes: Avid Code 5 or Shimano Saint M810

Cranks: Shimano SLX double or Shimano Saint M810 double

What would you advise?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Shimano brakes are underated and not as fashionable as Avids/Formulas etc. But everyone that runs them swear by them - massive power, easy to bleed, absolutely no fade ever. I don't like the Juicy 5s personally (I've used them and they are prone to needing regular bleeding if you run them hot) but having tried even my mates ultra basic Shimano Deore disc brakes, I would choose the Saints in a heartbeat over the Avids.
    Cranks - either are going to be fine but the SLX would allow you to ebay the large ring if you don't need it and that would effectively reduce the overall cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey more to the point - share the rest of the details. What colour and what about the rest of the component choice?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Colour: light blue, red decals and levers

CCDB, Totem Solo Airs, DT EX1750's , Big Betty's, Sram X9, Thomson post and stem, SDG saddle, Burgtec bar and flats.

mtbr member
    CCDB, Totem Solo Airs,Thomson post and stem,Burgtec bar and flats

Tight budget - lol are you kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!

Nice color choice and spec there ryates - absolutely gagging to see that bad boy built up.

Can I ask why ur going for the solo airs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    LOL - if that's your budget build, I'd love to see what your 'money no object' approach would look like!

Sounds awesome - good for you mate! You're going to have a lot of fun. Share pictures when you can.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Love the budget pedal choice

Go for the saints for that build anything less would be a shame, would be bizzare to put cheap brakes on that build, you'd have been better with a set of V8 pedals and hope brakes imho.

Nice tho!
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey man.
    Code 5's and Saints is quite a weird choice because the price is so extreme between the to. The Sainst are apparently crazy powerful, and Avids ive tried i havent liked, ive foudn them far too graby. But the new elixers crs are supposed to be very good. So if you want to save money go for Like Louise Bat, Elixers crs. If money is not object then Saints or Formula Ones.

As for cranks, it depends on your weight. The SLX are very tough, not as tough of Saints but more than enough for most riders. So if you want to save weight without sacrificing much strength, then go for the SLX's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Karve,

I bought Totem Solo Airs on a recommendation and they keep the weight down....they weigh only 5.8lbs with axle. I can always change to coil later.

MaxBS, I'm not left with much money to spend on brakes and crank....Saint brakes are relatively inexpensive at 240.00 for the set or I can get Avid Code 5 calipers with Juicy levers for 160.00 for the set. SLX double and bash cranks are a good buy at 85.00 or Saint for 150,00. The SLX's are slightly lighter (200g).

derekr, I already have the Burgtec bars from another build and I am waiting for the new lighter and cheaper Burgtec flats to be announced.

geetee, thanks for your comments.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    why not a vivid and 66 rc3? just made some changes recently on my ST from a boxxer race. my bike now feels better.. faster, lively and stable. cleared the downtube with a Chris King.

Dont get me wrong i've run XT brakes before and the saints are suposedly better, so the saints wouldnt really be a cheap choice? They are very good brakes, just without the bling factor of some.

Btw i was on about 150 pedals not bars Anyway awesome build, looking forward to some pics

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've had two sets of Burgtec Penthouse Flats. I'm wild about the design, but not about their quality control. The second pair have since been refunded having been responsible for ruining the threads on two sets of cranks.

I've also got their ridewide bars and love the shape width etc, but man have you seen the flex? Very disconcerting. I've heard annecdotal stories of people snapping them as well.

The best Burgtec product I have is their direct mount stem for Boxxer forks. Lovely bit of kit - hard to fault.

Bars and pedals i use easton!

Easton monkeylite carbon DH bars and Easton flatboy pedals. Cant fault them and cant say i've experienced *ANY* flex with the bars. Think their 710mm wide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    there have been reports of the burgtec bars snapping, i swear by the pedals but won't touch the bars. why run the risk to save a few grams.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    geetee, what flat pedals do you recommend? Sounds like I might like the Saint brakes?

derekr, are the Fatboys better than the Culleys?

zero, why clearance issues....have not fitted my Totem yet but can't see a problem? Did you consider the Totem...interested to know what you find preferable about the RC3? Good to hear that single crowns are outperforming the Boxxers. Already bought the CCDB......how's the Vivid doing? Have you weighed with new set -up? Any Pics?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    well did some extensive research on the beast with a single crown and most of them used totem 2 step and coil with the old frame but with the new frame "slacker HA" I saw alot of 66's old and new. dont get me wrong totems are good fork but what I noticed about them is that the steertube is aligned with the stanchion compared to the 66 the stanchion is more forward gaining more slack HA if that is a concern.

now for the clearance issue. I guess the reason I saw plenty of totems on the beast is because totems are more arched "the portion of the fork the black piece that has the sticker that says (motion control) from the crown race down to where the upper stanchion is attached" its hard to explain that portion of that fork" but it will clear the downtube and also by using a thick headset "lower cups"

with the 66 its not as arched compared to the totem but the lowers are more forward gaining more slack on the HA but might not clear the downtube if used with a flushed headset. I hear a lot of people complaining about the totem 2 step of losing travel after some abuse but maybe Rock Shox fixed the bug so who knows.

my bike now weighs 41 lbs but thats because of my crankset a Raceface DH and DH tubes with a 2.7 kenda back and a maxxis DHF 2.7 front. I can replace those and shave some weight breaking the 38 lbs barrier easy! vivid is now more responsive matched with 66 its like a totally different bike, it floats on the sketchy stuff really nice.

laars had some clearance issue before with a 66 and he used Chris King steelset.

Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    geetee, what flat pedals do you recommend? Sounds like I might like the Saint brakes?

derekr, are the Fatboys better than the Culleys?

zero, why clearance issues....have not fitted my Totem yet but can't see a problem? Did you consider the Totem...interested to know what you find preferable about the RC3? Good to hear that single crowns are outperforming the Boxxers. Already bought the CCDB......how's the Vivid doing? Have you weighed with new set -up? Any Pics?