Thread: Helius RC

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Helius RC

my Helius RC (already have it a year)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looking good Dutchdriver, I've recently ordered an RC, waiting to find out when it'll be delivered.

How does it ride?

"Its All Good"
    My take on how an RC rides....

Fast, fast, oh and did I say fast, climbs up hills fast, heads down hill fast....

Lee, welcome tot he Nicolai forum, be god to post up a new thread on your soon to be Helius RC... Be great to see your build etc....

Dutchdriver - sweet looking RC, they just ooze fast....

How do you like the Rotor Cranks etc?
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Whafe - thanks for the positive reaction, I'm glad you like it.
    And like you said, it's fast.

Rotor cranks (172.5mm) are great, very stiff, oval rings ride very nice + the cranks looks nice too. Only the front derailleur is broken, cage is torn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How does an RC differ from a CC, other than the fact it's fixed travel?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It's not fixed travel, depending on who you speak to or what you read you can adjust it from either 84-100mm or 100-120mm.

Apparently Niicolai take the first measurements from a 3D CAD package when designing the frame. But, a German MTB magazine measured 125mm travel.

It's lighter by around a pound than the CC due to extra machining, Titanium/ceramic axles etc. They're a little tiny bit longer too.

I decided to go for an RCas I was looking for something that'll help me get a little faster over the rougher stuff compared to my hardtail, it was either one of these or a Helius CC or SC BlurXCc, these are a little heavier than a Blur but ligher than a CC which if I'm honest put me off the CC.

Just a quick thanks to Mike at Nicolai UK.

mtbr member
    Sweet

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Lee,

Thanks for explaining, i did wonder how it was lighter than the CC.

Makes sense now, how does it compare to the likes of a Anthem or a Superlight?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've never ridden an Anthem, and it's difficult to find the weight of the frame as I've not seen it listed anywhere - it was another option I was looking at. I guess they're pretty light though as the bikes build up pretty light. I think they were voted bike of the year by WMB once too. There's a large for sale at Wiggle, they may weigh it for you if you ask nicely.

The superlight I can comment on, I had a new shape medium sized one a few years ago. I believe the weight is around the same as the RC. I never really enjoyed riding the SL, maybe I didn't give it a chance, I'd always ridden HT's up to then and didn't realise I would have to change my riding style to get the best out of it. Glad I sold it to be honest.

I test rode a Carbon Blur in the summer, which was a blast! A real fast riding capable bike. But, there's something about the Nicolai frames...

Are you looking for a new frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Damn nice !
    It's from bikeboutique ?

From where in the netherlands are you ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No, it isn't from bikeboutique. It's from bike-components.
    I'm from Veenendaal.

Nicolai
    wow! thats a really simple and nice build! nice to see people do still appreciate short travel full suspension bikes!