Drink...sleep

... and if we just ... The Helius has landed!

Finally, some pics. Even though I've only ridden it up and down the street a couple of times (hey, I won't make this bike dirty ), it felt very smooth, and also very different from my old bike. Need to get a lighter spring for the shock though I think, looks like there's not much sag (but haven't measured it yet) and hitting the curb felt quite harsh. Good thing I didn't go for titanium right away. Anyway, enjoy

Who's your daddy?

'All over it!'
    Hey Boozzz, lovely ride there my friend, looks stunning. Could be off mine for a few weeks, had an argument with a tree whilst four feet in the air..... the tree won and an afternoon in A & E for me.

Lovely ride there, I really like the white.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    wow! nice bike and very nice pics! i really like the blue inside carrier on the rotors...a very ghey touch!

mtbr member
    Looking real good Boozzz

White is the way forwards i'm sure.

What length is the stem ? What size bike ? How tall are you ?

Sorry for all the questions but just trying to work out why mine feels alittle odd after doing some downhill work but for the 1st 15-25 miles all feels good.

5c0tty
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

Drink...sleep
    Cheers guys!

Lorni, that's some major suckage there. Nothing too bad I hope? Those trees can be mean bastards, usually appearing from out of nowhere as well.

FoShizzle, yes, too bad Hope doesn't do pink though, that would be the ultimate gheyness

Scotty, white's definitely the new black . The bike's an L, stem is 60 mm and I'm 186 cm tall. Felt good riding on the street, far more relaxed than my Prophet, but short stem will take some getting used to I think (or maybe it was the very wide handlebars), as steering felt quite direct. Going to play with the shock and fork settings tomorrow. What spring weight do you use on your DHX? And how heavy are you?

mtbr member
    I'm 11.5 stone and the spring is 550x2.25 it was what was fitted when the bike arrived.

I have been real bad as I have not even reset the air pressure in the rear shock ! Been to busy ridding.

The first time it happened I thought the handle bars had moved round but every thing was still wear it was meant to be.

Have used the stem from my old Turner 5 Spot 5deg 100mm Thomson but have a 50mm stem to test out in the morning.

Thanks for your input.

5c0tty

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    that's how Heidi Klum would look like if she was a bike

'All over it!'
    Boozzz, knee not good and in real pain, but will get over it. Nice ride mate and love it in white. I really wish I had got the large frame now, I am just over 6ft 3 with a 33 inch inside leg, how does this compare with you?

I might wait until next year and buy a large frame with the 1.5 inch headset and a set of coil totems and sell the cammo XL. For now, I will just nurse the knee and keep planning. Safe trails mate.

Drink...sleep
    Scotty, thanks for the info. Strange, I'm around 85 kg, and got the 550 spring as well. Maybe I just need to play with the settings then (and actually measure the sag, instead of just guessing it). A 100mm stem does sound quite long for a bike like this, 50mm should be better I think, though maybe a tad short again.

Lorni, I'm 186 cm, so that's 6 ft 1.2, and my inside leg is 87 cm, so that's just over 34 inch. When we meet up in Chicksands, you can test my bike out if you like (though might be a bit tough with the coil suspension setup, as you probably weigh a bit more than I do).

'All over it!'
    Sounds good Boozzz, just get the knee sorted and I'm up for it

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Superb bike, have loads of fun.

"Its All Good"
    Bozzzzz, looks fantastic, great looking Helius FR... I may be biased, but indeed feel all of our FR's are magic looking bikes....

Lorni - Sorry to hear re your crash, mmmm know crashing real well

5c0tty - Am sure you will get used to it, it took me some time, but have doen some long epics now and have got used to the short stem, jsut a different feel, btu when it comes to throwing it around in the air and pointing down hill, you will not be dissapointed...

I am thinking we may need to get a re fresher post of pictures for all our FR's... Yeah baby...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Drink...sleep
    Went out today into the city on my bike, did some drops, blasted down some stairs... Pretty cool (except that the wheel of my chainguide fell off), but the suspension could be a bit more supple. Measured the sag on the rear and with minimum preload that's just a bit under 1.5 cm (exactly 25%), so think I also need to try a 500 lbs spring. For the front I'm using the medium spring in the Vanilla (for 150-180 lbs riders, while I'm 187 lbs), no preload, and don't get enough sag either. So I'll switch it for the light spring (which is for 115-150 lbs riders supposedly). Hope that won't bottom out all the time though. What are you guys with the Vanillas and DHXs out there using, and what do you weigh?

Edit: Damn, you need a huge 32mm socket to change the spring?!
    Last edited by Boozzz; 03-02-2008 at 07:01 AM.

banned
    Feb 2008

Sweet!!!

That has got to be the best looking bike I've ever seen.I ask you is there really a better bike on the market?I say no way...

mtbr member
    You should have a look in my dinning room ! Theres one in there too

mtbr member
    just spotted this thread after I mailed you Daan. i can see about ordering a 500lb spring for you to try if you like?

If you're careful you can change the spring with an adjustable spanner as the cap is not very tight. The aluminium is very soft though so take it easy and make sure you have a good purchase on the flats.(and careful not to scratch the crown while you're at it!)

I fitted the same chainguide to my bike and the same thing happened to me the other day! more loctite needed I think.

Good pics Daan. Do you mind if I pinch a couple for my website?