mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Helius fr weight

I have been given the all clear to buy a helius fr, but the boss (missus) wants me to have only one bike.Either i have just the helius and the turner spot has to go or i keep the spot and dont have the helius.I have explained to her that they are completely different for what i want to do but i am wasting my breath.
    My spot weighs in at 29.5 and is good for 25+ mile xc rides, the fr would need to do this as well as all dh/fr duties.I dont mind a pound or 2 but i am thinking that this is about 36lbs
    I have all the build kit already sat at home waiting including Totem coils(will probably have to changed to airs or fox 36's), formula the ones(these i will keep) ,slx cranks,thomson stem,carbon dh bars. hope pro2's on ex 823 rims with marwi ti spokes,X0 shifter and mech.Chris king steelset.
    I could use the wheelset off the turner which would knock off a bit and would fit(mavic sx 2009) with a lighter tyre for xc and my high rollers for dh.
    The question is how sensibly light can i get a Helius fr remembering that i weigh 225lbs+ kitted and it will be used for dh/fr and xc?
    It looks like the forks ,wheels and rear shock are the major places for weight saving,or am i buying an excellent frame and ruining it by weight saving?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    no, you are not going tu ruin it by saving weight! the helius fr is very versatil and can be accomodate for all-mountain or downhill racing. ask 007, he ride his fr on all sort of different riding from long distance all-mountain up to dh, he will give you good advice

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    its a similar spec to what mine was and that came in at 35lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the replies.
    I personally think that 35lbs is quite high for a xc/all day bike.But its light for a fr/dh.Tyres and wheels could be a good thing here if i keep both sets i could have a dh set and a xc set with the perfect tyres on each set.
    Does the fr ride heavy or light?

steep fast and loose :)
    what's it got to do with her ?
    tell her she's only allowed one handbag, or one candle in the bath if you're only allowed one bike.
    it's time to MTFU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    what's it got to do with her ?
    tell her she's only allowed one handbag, or one candle in the bath if you're only allowed one bike.
    it's time to MTFU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats easy for you to say its not you that will have your testicles removed with a kitchen knife when asleep.

mtbr member
    Mines 35.5 with a similar spec.. but with a totem air

Area where I could save weight

XTR Cranks - 100g
    Lighter wheels - save maybe 300g for real AM wheels
    Lighter tyres - 200g
    Smaller disks = 50g

All the above would take away form its burlyness though. Couldn't trim anywhere else really.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So is 34 about as light as you can go sensibly?

mtbr member
    yea id say so... lighter could be achieved but would need one of....

• light AM wheels
    • air rear shock
    • 160mm fork

Keep it heavy then piss off all ur mates as u out climb them with its mental traction!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The wheelset i have is 1750g for the pair.I have slx or xt cranks.
    Air shock.Are they any good on a fr, was it designed to run with coil.
    Forks.Could get rid of the totems and get float 36's

mtbr member
    I think ur wheelset is a good 300g less than mine. Id stick with the coil for the FR though I hear good things about the ISX shock.

If you this worries about weight ur buying the wrong bike really. Get an AM

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just looking at fox 36 vanilla 5.2lbs 160mm travel sounds good.About a 1.25 lbs saving over the totem and still coil sprung.

I have looked at the am frame but will it handle the bigger stuff?.I will hit 10ft+ drops on it and 20ft gaps so it will get used but it will also need to be able to do a good few miles.

"Its All Good"
    Would go with the FR and be happy at 34 or 35 lbs, I ride mine all day like that.... It can take the abuse for sure...

So you doing 20ft rad gaps on your present 5 Spot? If it is handling it, the FR will p1ss it in then....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

norcosam : my AM manages 8' to transition no problem.
    i do however prefer running the CCDB on it rather than the air shock.
    2009 talas 36, dt 5.1D on nobby nic 2.4", weighs in at 32.5lbs.
    awesome traction on climbs. pedal strike is an issue though - nort always possible to ride around either
    AM could be specced with 1.5" HT and 12mm BT rear axle of course

mtbr member
    At present my FR has 36 Vans and a Monarch air shock and comes in around 35lbs with reasonably heavy tyres and Mavic 823 tubeless rims. I can also switch to a coil shock (Roco TST R) and coil Totems plus DH tyres if I want heavy duty. It's been said above already but the FR is pretty versatile and I ride it all day without issues. It's no whippet but then that's not what it's designed to be and it sounds like you can handle a bike so you will get the best out of it. I wouldn't build it any lighter than 34lbs as you'll be comprimising it somewhere and you should then be looking at the AM.
    I love mine. It feels so damn good on everything from twisty singletrack to all day hill rides.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec

FR Weight

This is a mixed build which is quite burly and its weighed @ 34.5lb.

I have swapped out the air for a coil rear shock to try for now and it does feel much more plush and nice but nothing wrong with the air either.

Thats with full on DH wheelset too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

FR Weight

Now with rear coil and full 1.5" kit on the front end but unsure of exact weight, i assume a lb heavier than before.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Would go with the FR and be happy at 34 or 35 lbs, I ride mine all day like that.... It can take the abuse for sure...

So you doing 20ft rad gaps on your present 5 Spot? If it is handling it, the FR will p1ss it in then....

I have done a few gap jumps that are about 10-15ft on the spot. but only hit about 6ft to trany on the drops on it.It seems to blow through the rear travel quite quick but it is set up for xc/trail riding. and it only has revelations on it which are more trail than fr.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    norcosam : my AM manages 8' to transition no problem.
    i do however prefer running the CCDB on it rather than the air shock.
    2009 talas 36, dt 5.1D on nobby nic 2.4", weighs in at 32.5lbs.
    awesome traction on climbs. pedal strike is an issue though - nort always possible to ride around either
    AM could be specced with 1.5" HT and 12mm BT rear axle of course

Dont like the sound of the pedal strikes i ride a lot of rocky places including a lot of old mining trails(cornwall,uk)that are littered with stones and rocks.
    I am thinking helius fr anodized black in large or extra large with my black totems and a 12mm rear end to make use of the mavic sx wheelset i have.About 34-35 lbs running 2 or 3 rings.I have also the hope/823 combo for my fr/dh riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    norcosam, my 05 FR weighed 32lbs. From 08 the FR was strengthened for Totems and gained half a pound. The SX's run tubeless would save a ton of weight compared to some of the FR builds mentioned hear and combined with other light/strong gear should mean that you could build a current FR under 33lbs I estimate. Otherwise go AM at under 32lbs. Nicolai's always ride light....my FR at 32lbs rode much lighter than my 5-spot at 29lbs.

Interested to know how you find the SX's....was thinking of some for my CC...would drop the weight by at least 1lb I think?
    Last edited by loamranger; 04-21-2009 at 12:17 PM.

norcosam - i too ride rock (living in NE Scotland, it's conditional) , but if hucking's your thing, the FR is more suitable

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The_Lecht_Rocks-
    Hucking isnt my thing all the time but i do have some sessions at some of my local places,but riding is, as long as i am riding i am happy
    I love the fact that i could and will use it for everything.It also means i will only have to teach myself to ride one bike and get to know it very well.
    Is there only a pound in weight difference between the am and fr frames.Excluding shock.

ryates-

I have had the wheels for about 6 weeks now.I used them for 2 weeks and then took them to my lbs to have them check the spoke tension.They are very light and were only a few grams heavier than advertised.The pickup is a lot better than the older freehub design.And they now run a bearing rather than a bush on the freehub.I had industry nines before these but decided i needed a change and i loved the look of the mavic sx's and a true ust rim rather than the dt 5.1 with conversion kit.I also brought them because the rear is a 12mm bolt through with adaptors to make it qr( handy for a 12mm nicolai rear end)

for trail riding, buy the AM.
    for shuttle assisted riding, buy the FR.

the AM is invincible in it's adaptable design.

the FR is compromised in everything - ask dipper - he and I had this discussion / agreement this evening

mtbr member
    AM as long as you're keeping your wheels on the ground, Fr if you take gaps and ride in stations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks everyone.

It has to be a fr due to the extra strength of the frame and me not being the smallest of people.Sod the weight if it comes in at 34ish i will be happy if its to heavy i will get rid of the totems and buy an air shock and fork.

"Its All Good"
    Yeah ha, another FR on its way..... You will not be dissapointed......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Thanks everyone.

It has to be a fr due to the extra strength of the frame and me not being the smallest of people.Sod the weight if it comes in at 34ish i will be happy if its to heavy i will get rid of the totems and buy an air shock and fork.
    Once you feel how boooooooooooooootifull a coil works with the FR frame there is no going back.... you.. like me will be saying... sod the weight

Cool stuff and cant wait for the build

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Once you feel how boooooooooooooootifull a coil works with the FR frame there is no going back.... you.. like me will be saying... sod the weight

Cool stuff and cant wait for the build

My norco six had a coil dhx on it but to reduce weight i fitted a dhx air, nice and light but no small bump response and blew through the travel.Is this a problem with air rear shocks i also had lyrik 2 step airs which were good forks and they had no small bump either.

Build will be this as i have all these parts.

Mavic sx wheelset 2009 or hope pro2 on 823's
    Thomson stem and seatpost
    Monkey light dh carbon riser bar
    Formula the one brakes 200/180
    X0 shifters and mech
    Odi grips.
    Totem 2009 coil
    Slx or xt cranks
    Chris king steelset
    Sdg grand prix seat

Need to find out how long delivery would be and if i need a large or extra large.I am 6ft 1.5"
    And several days of being nice to the boss

my helius AM inc coil CCDB.
    does everything the FR can in the UK / Alps.
    not a shuttle bike, a trail bike and without doubt, strong enough :

I love my new FR awesome peice of kit

"Its All Good"

Need to find out how long delivery would be and if i need a large or extra large.I am 6ft 1.5"
    And several days of being nice to the boss
    I 100% would go Large, do not go Extra Large, I am 6ft 3.5" and large is perfect. Mean that seriously....

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone.

I'm just under 6ft 2" and the large is perfect for me with a 50mm stem. Congrats on the decision, you won't be disappointed. It eats anything. Mine is pretty close to your spec above with Totem coils, steelset, 823's and XT stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    great bike! i am 6ft high. what size shall i order (helius fr)

'All over it!'

Go Large!

Norcosam - I totally agree with Whafe on this and that is go large. I am a little over 6ft 4 and love the XL, although I was in a quandry for a long time whether to buy a large. For your height, the large is the way ahead and don't worry about the weight. Mine, with DH tyres/tubes as seen weighs in at about 38/39lb.

Post surgery, for my first ride I completed the red route at Dalby, some 36km at this weight and although I did feel it towards the end, it wasn't too much of a drama. As my fitness increases, then I will go with a lighter tyre/tube combo and reap the benefits.

You will not believe how well the FR rides, on trails, I can still keep up with mates on air shocked nomads etc no problems and that is with totems up front.

Go for it, you won't regret it. Another photo opportunity - love it!

mtbr member
    I'm 6ft1 and I run on a Medium size (as far as the top tube)

really depends what you want from the bike. here I live in the Alps, and ride 90% of the time on small single with sharp turns, I needed a short frame even he I do pedal to the top of the mountain sometimes !

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    mostly, i want to ride tours with the bike. size l with a short stem.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Large it is.
    Thanks everyone.
    Will sort out my money over the next month and see when i can order and delivery times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Delivery has been quoted at 6-8 weeks.Will be ordering soon.

Mine was just less than 8 weeks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Guys the AM will do 50 ft gap jump at our club it's just that my club mate has to ride it! I am toooooooooo scared he is young and nuts! but the bike willl do it! no worries it's more to do with rider skill and bravery than weight. Enough!

I am Old!

i agree with Garry AM - It's the rider, not the bike

Altho the bike can inspire confidence of course but i'd agree 90% is the rider!

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    Guys the AM will do 50 ft gap jump at our club it's just that my club mate has to ride it! I am toooooooooo scared he is young and nuts! but the bike willl do it! no worries it's more to do with rider skill and bravery than weight. Enough!

I am Old!
    Totally agree ! Us oldies dont bounce when we hit the ground anymore + we dont heal the way we used to either

Norcosam , mine was 8 weeks on the button .
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am no spring chicken i was 35 at the beginning of the year.
    I will agree with you ozzybmx i dont bounce anymore.And the pain lasts longer, seems more intense and takes longer to get better.
    Confidence in your bike gives you confidence in your riding.
    garry am- i have a mate who i ride with that hits the biggest, scariest and scetchiest lines and makes them look easy and dosent crash.

"Its All Good"
    Its so all about the bike, about the rider was so 80's.................. LOL

No it is for sure about the rider....

if that was true, i'd be a World Champion.

Fat & Single
    I am no spring chicken i was 35 at the beginning of the year.
    I will agree with you ozzybmx i dont bounce anymore.And the pain lasts longer, seems more intense and takes longer to get better.
    Confidence in your bike gives you confidence in your riding.
    garry am- i have a mate who i ride with that hits the biggest, scariest and scetchiest lines and makes them look easy and dosent crash.

you have more spring in your chook than me ..... 37 this year , 3 years to go and i'll be racing in "Masters"
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

If your a world champion......... ah forget it its not worth a flame war

Fat & Single
    WTF ! are you related to Jerk Chicken ?

we ride bikes mate ! HARD !

Bloody lipo ..... wrong forum ! who gives a ..... GRRRRrrrrrrrrrr
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    lol its robot spam cos the forum has the word 'weight' in its title.

Fat & Single
    still GGRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

"Its All Good"
    No flame war, this is the Nicolai forum not the Ellsworth forum..... LOL...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Norcosam our riding friends sound similar, inspiring and irritating at the same time!

fwiw, my AM comes in at 31.5lbs inc CCDB on steel spring.
    i'll drop 3/4lb once i get my Ti spring.
    and for trail riding it's as good as the FR if not better.
    all imo of course

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    Hi Norcosam our riding friends sound similar, inspiring and irritating at the same time!
    I hate him so much words cant describe it.
    Nah not really he is a very skilled rider and is not big headed about it.I can just keep up with him on some trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0