mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Helius FR tech questions...

Hello from Spain.

Iím thinking in a Nicolai Helius FR as my next bike and there is some things Iíd like to know before deciding...letís see the level of the Nicolai gurus...

Does anybody know the real BB height of a Helius with a 545 a2c fork (36, Lyric,etc...), in the Nicolai website they say itís 20mm but I donít know what does it mean.

Which is the frame weight? the website says 3.9kg...but this is with or without shock? if itís with shock, with which shock air or coil?

Iíve read that a kit with bolts, links, etc...made of titanium and magnesium is available, do you which weight can you sav with it?

And the last question, is the Helius FR a rising rate design, a falling rate or a mix of both?

Thanks for the answers

bye

Meduix

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by meduix
    Does anybody know the real BB height of a Helius with a 545 a2c fork (36, Lyric,etc...), in the Nicolai website they say itís 20mm but I donít know what does it mean.
    That means the difference between BB and rear hub heights.
    (obviously sag and tyre size affect the "real" BB height)

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Hello from Spain.

I’m thinking in a Nicolai Helius FR as my next bike and there is some things I’d like to know before deciding...let’s see the level of the Nicolai gurus...

Does anybody know the real BB height of a Helius with a 545 a2c fork (36, Lyric,etc...), in the Nicolai website they say it’s 20mm but I don’t know what does it mean.

Which is the frame weight? the website says 3.9kg...but this is with or without shock? if it’s with shock, with which shock air or coil?

I’ve read that a kit with bolts, links, etc...made of titanium and magnesium is available, do you which weight can you sav with it?

And the last question, is the Helius FR a rising rate design, a falling rate or a mix of both?
    Hola amigo!

I own an '07 FR which differs quite a lot from the current model, so my answers might not be 100% correct, but I hope it'll help you anyway.

1. BB height: perttime got it correct. Nicolai indicates the BB height above an imaginary line between the rear and front axles. Real BB height depends on tires etc.

2. Weight: my custom 07 ('Small' seat tube with almost 'Large' top tube, anodized, ISCG mounts, 1 1/8 headtube) weighed 3390 grams without shock. Your weight may vary, depending on size, custom options and whether you go with anodized finish or powdercoat.

3. I don't think the ti-mag kit is for the FR is available any longer, but I may be mistaken - check with your local Nicolai dealer.

4. I read somewhere that the suspension is regressive in the first 30% of travel and then becomes progressive. If that's what you were asking about

Suerte!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    Hola amigo!

I own an '07 FR which differs quite a lot from the current model, so my answers might not be 100% correct, but I hope it'll help you anyway.

1. BB height: perttime got it correct. Nicolai indicates the BB height above an imaginary line between the rear and front axles. Real BB height depends on tires etc.

2. Weight: my custom 07 ('Small' seat tube with almost 'Large' top tube, anodized, ISCG mounts, 1 1/8 headtube) weighed 3390 grams without shock. Your weight may vary, depending on size, custom options and whether you go with anodized finish or powdercoat.

3. I don't think the ti-mag kit is for the FR is available any longer, but I may be mistaken - check with your local Nicolai dealer.

4. I read somewhere that the suspension is regressive in the first 30% of travel and then becomes progressive. If that's what you were asking about

Suerte!
    Hola, thanks for the answers!!

Which are the diferences from 07 FR model to current?

I supose that anodized frames are lighter than powdercoated...is that right? does anybody know how much light are they?

So, if I've understood, you say that the first 1/3 of travel the suspension is falling rate and the last 2/3 of travel is rising rate...is that what you mean?
    Could you tell me where did you read it?

thanks again

meduix

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I supose that anodized frames are lighter than powdercoated...is that right? does anybody know how much light are they?
    Hi,
    depending on the frame size powdercoating adds about 200-300 grams.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Which are the diferences from 07 FR model to current?
    Let me count...
    New headtube gusset (less holes and with the N letter embossed)
    New braces between the top and seat tubes (now with 'Helius' embossed)
    Shorter seat stays, shock moved a bit to the rear
    No travel adjust
    '08 is supposed to be more compatible with air shocks
    New swing-link (the short link to which the shock is attached)
    Redesigned dropouts
    A few mm's more travel

That seems to be it.

I'm with Testmaen on this one.

So, if I've understood, you say that the first 1/3 of travel the suspension is falling rate and the last 2/3 of travel is rising rate...is that what you mean?
    Could you tell me where did you read it?
    Well you see, I'm not a suspension guru and neither do I play one on TV This is my first full-susser after all
    I read it somewhere on the dedicated Nicolai forum on mtb-news.de but it was a while ago and I don't remember which thread it was in. Besides, it's in German and I had to use an online translator since I don't speak German.