Drink...sleep

Helius FR as pure FR (and DH) bike?

Hey guys, long time since I posted, but am back on my Helius FR and I'd like your advice. I'm getting more and more into gravity oriented and lift assisted riding, and I use my Totem equipped 2008 Helius FR for that. I broke the rear wheel on my last outing last week though (a DT 5.1) and since I'm using my FR solely for downhill and freeride duties, like bikeparks in Germany and the Alps, I'm debating what to do. Mind you, I'm still a relative beginner in the FR/DH scene.

Here's the two options:
    - Either I lace up a new rear wheel with a stronger rim like the Mavic 823, put that back in my Helius, and while I'm at it, go to a single ring front setup with a guide like the E13 LG1 and turn the bike as much into a FR machine as I can.

- Or, I sell the Helius now and get a new FR/DH frame, that perhaps has 150mm rear wheel spacing (since I need a new wheel anyway) and a slightly lower BB and a bit more rear suspension travel.

What would you do, do you think the Helius FR remains a compromise in the FR area, even if it's built up as a freeride bike? I know it's not a DH bike, and I like it that it feels quite playful, but also it feels a bit tall/high sometimes. Maybe all quite subjective, but I'd like to hear your thoughts

mtbr member
    Hi boozzz
    Good to see your still on the fr

If your just playing the FR will be fine and more manageable on a lot of tracks than a full on dh'er. I sold the dh bike last year as it just wasn't getting used enough and I was no faster on it than I am my afr. 180 forks and heavier wheels and the fr will be spot on.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I sold the FR brought an ION,Then sold the ION and brought an FR

The ION is faster than an FR on a proper DH course.But for 98% of the time the FR was a better bike,You can ride 20+ miles on it.have a play on some DH and then ride it home.
    I am running 40% sag on my Fr and it seems to track very well.

mtbr member
    Boozzz - I rode my FR round the alps for a week with totems on the front and the only thing it needs to turn it into a true DH weapon is an angleset - slack that front end out a couple of deg and it would rule on the steep stuff

PS thinking of doing winterberg willingen in September - are they any good.
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

Drink...sleep
    Thanks guys, I am indeed keeping the bike, and building a new wheel next week. I don't think I can do an angleset unfortunately, as my Totem has a 1,5" steerer already. Maybe someone wants to trade.. I was also thinking of stripping the paint and go for the raw finish, as I like the looks of that. Any tips on doing that?

Karve, I really like Winterberg, and I love Willingen. Although Willingen only has two tracks, a flowy freeride and a very fast and tough downhill (some insanely big stuff there if you've got the balls) compared to Winterberg's 6 or so, it's got a so much more relaxed atmosphere, and is also far less busy. You don't want to be in Winterberg in the weekend. Plus I just like Willingens two tracks better than those in Winterberg. But if you're there for more than one day, I'd do them both. If you go, let me know, we might be able to team up if you like.

Drink...sleep
    Finished work on my bike. It is all ready for the Portes du Soleil. Heading there in two weeks time, can't wait! Built myself a new rear wheel with a Mavic 823 rim, removed the granny ring, cut off the granny tabs and put on a LG1+ chainguide, drilled some holes in my saddle, installed new shock bushings and moved the shock mount as much forward as possible for a slacker headangle (65,4 degrees now according to my phone). 16,6 kg of freeride madness

mtbr member
    Looking real good Boozzz.
    My FR spends most the time in the shed with the odd trip to Wales, The AC is getting all the action !
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

mtbr member
    Nice my FR still gets loads of action. Its a wicked trail weapon. Bozzz in doing that do you get any tyre seat tube contact?
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

Drink...sleep
    Hey Karve, I do with a 2.7 Minion in the back (but only just), but it's perfect with a 2.25 Highroller, so that's what I'm rollin'

I could actually move it up two holes, here's what it looks like:

mtbr member
    ive got an FR and a Session 88 and to be honest i'm loving the FR at the moment! the sesh will always be quicker downhill and picks up speed quicker but once the FR is up to speed its not that far off!
    I do find with the FR you have to hang off the back of the bike a lot more but i can easily keep with my mates on there dh bikes when im on it. Then if you run some 2.35 maxxis rubber and have reasonably light build then you can rack the xc millage up to.
    In summary then i reckon unless you have a ski lift system or decent uplift (pushing sucks!!) and just wanna do just dh runs then get a dh bike. If however you like to do a bit of everything, smash some drops, downhill but then be able to pedal back up def keep the FR they ROCK!

mine
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/n...ase-1qpv6c.jpg