mtbr member

Helius FR geometry with different forks

On the nicolai site they list the FR head angle at 67.5 with a 540 mm fork on the front (160 fox 36 or lyric)

Ive always run 180 totems and wondered what that's doing to the geo with the current FR.

There is a new app featured in mbr for your iphone which can measure angles so I downloaded it calibrated it and the head angle im running is 66.8

For comparision

Intense 6.6 - 68.5
    Nicolai FR 160 - 67.5
    Spec Enduro - 67 - 67.9
    Santa Cruz Nomad - 67
    Scott Ransom - 67
    Trek Remedy - 67
    Knolly DT - 67
    Nicolai FR 180 - 66.8
    Transition Dirtbag - 66.5
    Canfield Can Diggle - 65.5
    Spec SX trail - 66.5

* those with adj geo ive taken a mid point

I know that there is a lot more to high speed control and running steep sections than head angle but its a big player so worth some attention. The reason a lot of people think the Intense 6.6 is more trail then light Fr is that sharp head angle for sure.

Ive always thought the Nicolai FR Head Angle a little steep. Thought it weird how the Santa Cruz, Nomad,Scott Ransom, Trek Remedy were slightly more slack when the FR is more hardcore.

Now the AM has been introduced and I hope in the next incarnation is 66.75 or so, as the next bike up, the ST jumps to an uber slack 65.

steep fast and loose :)
    karve - did you calibrate with a spirit level gauge ?

mtbr member
    Nope it has an inbuilt calibration tool http://iphone.iusethis.com/app/clinometer and the general feedback is that it is very accurate in comparision to actual tools for the job. There will of course be a reasonable margin for error but it is a starting point.

'All over it!'
    Interesting info there mate, I have just taken delivery of a spanking set of totem coils. Can't wait to get them fitted and give them a good thrashing.

steep fast and loose :)
    seems incredible that 0.7 degree of difference is all that's achieved via 20mm more fork travel / a2c ! ? !
    also, incredible that anyone could discern the difference 0.7 deg makes ! ? !

'All over it!'
    I agree, when looking side on at the FR with 160's then with 180's, there is little visible difference.