mtbr member
    May 2008

Helius FR fork advice

Hey guy’s
    I am new for this forum and for Nicolai bike.
    I am on the way to build Helius FR medium, headtube 1.5” ,black anodized, thru-axel dropouts 12mm. The frame have to come on the end of this month. I want to ask you about the forks. I am doubting between RockShox Totem Coil 1.5” and Lyrik U-turn 115-160. Can you tell me guy’s which one is suiting better on the frame and if can give me some feed back for how the forks work on this frame. I checked some reviews about this forks but I want to hear from you guys because you are riding the same frame. I like some jumps and small drops( 2 meters) but I like also to climb not to push my bike to the top
    all advices will be apreciated
    all the best

mtbr member
    2008 Fox 36 Talis RC2's are getting some great feedback and being the lightest for with adjustable travel.
    I'm just about to order the 2008 36 Floats as I have no need to adjust the fork travel.
    I'm running on 2006 36 Talis fork at the moment but having problems with them packing down on long down hill sections.

I think Karve in on that model of Totem so will be able to comment better.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    HI Tiki, also put Magura Wotan on your list. Works well with the FR. 08 Floats are also a good bet. You might also consider Totem Solo Airs instead of the coil version since they are very light for their travel and I have heard good things about them. Just bought some for an a new ST bike. Good luck with your build.

mtbr member
    Totem is a cracking fork for alpine use.. overkill for here however... are 7ft drops (2 meter considered small these days?)

However if you are going to get a coil 160 fork you may as well get a solo air totem as they are the same weight.. with the added stiffness

off topic - apologies - ryates got any details on ur ST build im thinking I might get one!

'All over it!'
    I second that request for details on that ST!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have just gone for the 08 fox 36 talas r. didn't need the compression as i don't know what difference it makes. imo they are better then the 08 lyrics. Totems are to much, and unless your getting the 09 frame will void the warrentee on your nicolai

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    I have just gone for the 08 fox 36 talas r. didn't need the compression as i don't know what difference it makes. imo they are better then the 08 lyrics. Totems are to much, and unless your getting the 09 frame will void the warrentee on your nicolai
    I asked Falco from Nicolai factory about totem and he set “the Helius FR 08 is reinforced to handle Totem and 66”. Probably I have to clarify about warranty.
    thank you to every body for the answers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Karve and Lornibear,
    The ST frame looks amazing! Its light blue with red levers and decals. The head gusset is now more like the latest FR's. You've just got to get one of these! Just got the frame, shock and fork, so far. I'm going for a light build, which should come in around 35lbs. Its a size large. I'm 6ft 3.5ins. Probable build:
    Fork:Totem Solo Air
    Shock: CCDB 400lb steel, will change to Ti later
    Wheels: DT1750
    Brakes: Formula Ones
    Crankset: XTR with bash
    Mech. and controls: SRAM
    FMech: XTR
    Tyres: Big Betty
    Bars: Burgtec
    Pedals: Burgtec, or E13 or Funn?
    Saddle: SDG?

'All over it!'
    Hey ryates, thats the foreplay, how about some pics of that frame to satisfy us?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tiki
    I asked Falco from Nicolai factory about totem and he set “the Helius FR 08 is reinforced to handle Totem and 66”. Probably I have to clarify about warranty.
    thank you to every body for the answers.
    N6w th5 5s 5nterest5ng, as have 14st b64ght the /8 fra0e, and I believe that the 09 frame is going to be warrenteed for totems, tbh looking at the front of my bike it could easily handle a totem lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Lorni, will try to post some pics of the frame soon. Unfortunately the build will have to wait until next year when I am able to ride again after my tibia is fixed. I am also going to build up a CC first for XC, which is probably all I will be able to manage to ride for a while until the bone is fully hardened, which can take up to 2 years.

'All over it!'
    I know how breaking a tibia feels, did mine many years ago. Now, I'm sporting a ruputured ACL and meniscal tears, so it's surgery for me in eight weeks time. I am now enjoying as much riding as I can prior. I love the look of the ST but will have to wait until I am all fixed up first. Keep us posted of how both builds progress buddy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Lorni, sorry to hear about your continuing problem. Did you know you can heal these things sometimes using electrotherapy? I am going to use a device made by Smith and Nephew called Exogen which works using ultrasound and speeds up fracture healing by around 50%. The NHS have them but keep them a secret and will only use them on lengthy none unions, in order to save costs. So I will probably have to buy one privately. Cost from £1,000.00. How long did your tibia take to fix?

On the question of sizing for the ST: I bought a large ST, but XL CC. Interestingly the slope dim from centre top of headtube to centre of BB of both is about the same. I think you are about my height (6ft 3.5in) so you might like a large? If I have mine built before your are ready to buy, you could try my bike for size?

'All over it!'
    Ryates, that sounds fantastic, thankyou. My tibia took about ten weeks to fix. I was then able to start light running. It took me then about another eight weeks jogging until I could run ten miles, albiet very slow. So all in all, about eighteen weeks from break to slow jogging but up to ten miles. This was about ten years ago when bones are relatively maluable.
    I think with a high protein diet, good physiotherapy and sensible rehabilitation, it should not take that long. The best thing about cycling, is it's low impact so it shouldn't be too long. I am hoping to be back in the gym and perhaps slow stuff on the stationary bike within a month.

I would love to see both your machines when you can get some photographs. I am looking into building a road bike first, as it's that time of year and its easier on the knee for rehab purposes. Where abouts in the UK are you buddy?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    lorni, I'm in SE London but go to Cambridge regularly, so I could arrange to meet you up there or over at Thetford if you like, when I'm better.

'All over it!'
    Ryates, sounds like a great idea. Keep us informed of both the healing and building process. I am currently in Huntingdon but often visit thetford and Chicksands. I also am planning some riding in Swinney Forrest, near Bracknell but I think I will be on the slab too soon. Keep in touch buddy.

"Its All Good"
    tiki - good choice of frame to build on....

I have the 08 Talas 36 fork on my 08 FR frame, really like the fork... Myself I would look at a Totem unless you were in the Alps most of the time.... But Karve does make a good point, if you were to go a Lyric coil, a solo air Totem is virtually the same weight...

Myself, if looking again would be between the Magura Wotan, another 09 Fox 36 or a RS Lyric.......

To set the record straight, the majority of 2008 Helius FR's are under warranty for the Totem.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    tiki - good choice of frame to build on....

I have the 08 Talas 36 fork on my 08 FR frame, really like the fork... Myself I would look at a Totem unless you were in the Alps most of the time.... But Karve does make a good point, if you were to go a Lyric coil, a solo air Totem is virtually the same weight...

Myself, if looking again would be between the Magura Wotan, another 09 Fox 36 or a RS Lyric.......

To set the record straight, the majority of 2008 Helius FR's are under warranty for the Totem.
    Thank you very much for the information Whafe. Just to be clear and sure I asked the guy’s from Nicolai and I am waiting for replay. I have Fox 06 -36 Van RC – and I am happy with it on my Specialized Enduro SX Trail II but when I was looking for bike I fell in love with Nicolai bikes but I didn’t have the money that time but now I got the frame which I love ( not only like) that why I got Nicolai. But I want to try with little bit more travel that why I am asking about Totem and I was wondering with which fork travel the frame is working better ( this was the point of my question ). I prefer coil because I don’t have to worry about the air pressure. For me the weight so far is no problem. Now I am just collecting the parts because I am not in home and I hope in September to fix the bike. And in my plan is in near future to fix also rear gear box

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just for information – I got answer from Nicolai about Helius FR and Totem- if the frame is 08 the warranty is covering the frame when is used with Totem ( Whafe was right )

mtbr member
    Thank god for that lol

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by tiki
    Just for information – I got answer from Nicolai about Helius FR and Totem- if the frame is 08 the warranty is covering the frame when is used with Totem ( Whafe was right )
    All good, not so much being right, just so as we all know, and also to let Karve take a full breath again... ....................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Bugger, my lbs lied to me, lol, saying that my build is heavy enough already at 35-36 ish lbs might get a solo air second hand for alps use tho......

mtbr member
    Having just fitted a set of Totems I'm also glad to hear that [phew! smiley]