Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Helius FR - bring the bling

Ok so Dan dropped me a line to say that he had received my raw state Helius FR... MINT.. Haven't picked it up yet but being the star that he is he sent me some pics.. He says that the front end mix of the 1.5 HT and the gusseting in naked alloy looks mental. I can see what he means in the pics.. God im tempted to keep it as it is and not polish it lol.. ..

Anyway I will be picking it up this weekend and sending it to the polishers. I wont be able to get back for a couple of weeks however which should give me a chance to sort the rest of th kit. Forgive me as i go on a bit of a ramble.........

I've decided to go for a CCDB via Err's black sheep cycles so can't wait to get that mounted although I wont get it for a couple of weeks. Still umming and arring about the forks but I think it will end up being a pair of solo air totems. I wish I could get them in black but apparently that is an OEM color only. Id like to run 66 ATA but the extra half a pound might be a bit much. The solo air can be lowered to what ever height I need manually via spacers so will probably end up running it at 170? I know its designed for a 55 or a 36 or a wotan but I really want that extra travel on the front to match my riding this year. We will see how it goes anyway.

The rest of the kit will pick itself really.. haven't put too much thought into the wheels but im sure they will be hope IIs mounted to some sort of AM rim.. Running 5.1ds at the mo but not that impressed with them so will probably be something else. X9, race face cranks, Thomson stem, Easton DH carbon bars, Speedball, would love Chris King but they are twice the price of a Cane Creek in 1.5 format!

Anyway here are a couple of pics... man the detailing on the frame is just lush.

mtbr member

It's sooooo beautiful
    Congrats
    Never enough singletracks !

Drink...sleep
    Wow Jon, that looks wicked! It might be a bit high maintenance if you polish it up but keep it raw, because of the aluminium oxidizing if you don't polish it often enough, but looking at the pics, that might just be worth it Totem is pretty heavy duty on this bike, but with its massive stanchions it will match well with the raw 'I mean business' look I think.

mtbr member
    That looks the muts nuts, I would just have it laquered to allow all the top notch welding to be seen.

Polishing seems a little bling to me ! But if we where all the same the World would be boring.

Scott
    Last edited by 5c0tty; 02-01-2008 at 11:47 AM.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Dude! Looks great Karve!

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Congratulation Karve, looks good!

What´s your frame-size/geo? I think you have customized a lot, any infos?

Greetings from Cologne, Germany
    NoStyle

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    wow...that looks sweeeet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle

What´s your frame-size/geo? I think you have customized a lot, any infos?

NoStyle
    Cheers guys its with the polishers now though. I still have the linkages and stuff so will add to the pics above.

Its a small with a medium top tube. In retrospect a small might have done for me but I will see how it goes. Looking forward to getting it built up but that wont be for a good 4 weeks or so

Hey does anyone know if the facing of the BB and Disk mounts and the reaming of the headtube are done to an adequate standard in the factory or is it worth getting them done?
    Last edited by Karve; 02-02-2008 at 02:02 PM.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Hey does anyone know if the facing of the BB and Disk mounts and the reaming of the headtube are done to an adequate standard in the factory of shall or is it worth getting them done?
    As far as I know, the Nicolai folks are very scrupulous about these details, so you most probably don't have to face or ream anything on your Nicolai frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Karve nice frame make my anno black Helius look boring!
    Did you have to go the whole custom geometry route as I am just in the process of ordering a new frame and want to do the same i.e large TT and medium seat tube?

mtbr member
    If i hadn't gone shiney bling I would have gone stealth.. love all the black ninja FRs out there!

Yea I had to go the whole custom geo route.. works out pricey and despite me 'lovin' the nicolai experience so far i would criticize them for their odd sizing.. their meds have far to long seat tubes 18,7inch is maddness. Never really felt like ive had to mix and match sizes on other bikes.

However i would say that there is a nice warm feeling about having a bike built just for you

One last thing.. have a chat with the Nicolai Uk guys Simon and Mike.. there are lots of options to trim the stand over height not just custom geo.. You can order it without the third triangle I believe.. even have the seat tower cut down a bit etc. They can help suggest the most cost effective method to get what u need

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    there are lots of options to trim the stand over height not just custom geo.. You can order it without the third triangle I believe.. even have the seat tower cut down a bit etc.
    Umm... I don't think either option will effectively decrease standover height.

I had the same problem when I was ordering my frame: stadard sizing just didn't suit me well but I wanted the frame so bad I had to go custom.

At first I sent Nicolai a picture with the tube lengths and angles that I wanted. They said something like "we can't register this order because we can't guarantee that the frame will work the way it is supposed to." It meant that with different placement of the pivots the behaviour of the suspension would change and they could not predict in what way. Later they said "ok we CAN build the frame the way you want it but we won't guarantee it will work as supposed". I was frustrated somehow: I thought that the extra 300 euros I was paying for custom geo implied building a computer model of my frame and tweaking it to make the suspension function as supposed.

Well, in the end I chose to go the safe route and approached them from another direction: I asked them to build me a small frame with a long top tube, and they did so. The standover height is still a tad greater than I would've liked, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

"Its All Good"
    Karve / Looks the bomb, the areas around the 1.5 Head Tube look awesome, mine built up looks like a tank....Going with a Totem is a big fork for the FR, with what mine has been handling, it shouldnt be a problem, you will be a good test pilot.

Agree with you on the fact it sucks not being able to get a black Totem. Hence why I got mine powder coated. Err sorted that for me, the job was great. One minor downside is the fact it renders the warranty in the bin.... Of which has cost me 400 Euro, that is the price to buy a new internal fork leg in Spain, thieving pricks....

Err has got me a Fox 40 for my TFR, so I have my Totem as a spare etc. It could be something that you may like to borrow so to speak to see if it is what you want. I leave for a weeks work in Ca, USA on Friday, then heading to Spain on Friday 15th Feb... Let me know your thoughts anyway, we may be able to work something out....

Back on topic, lookign forward to seeing how she will look all raw and bombproof
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sounds interesting Whafe ill drop you a PM

a tight kick sound
    waaaahhhhhhhhhhh, soooo hot. Want to touch....

Very nice rig Karve!!

mtbr member
    This is how Niclai's look best

"Its All Good"
    Most things in life tend to look best Naked............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mmm Naked !

mtbr member
    Yea thats an interesting point actually about being naked..... in that with all the finishing options Nicolai don't offer this as one you can choose.. i wonder why? I did hear that they were not happy with the finish from the people who did it in the past but im sure that a raw and polished option would appeal to a lot of nicolai customers who love the industrial look!

I notice that santa cruz have dropped the polished option recently too

mtbr member
    Karve

I popped into the shop to see if I could get a peak at your new pile of sexy pipes but you had left the shop about 15mins before I got there !

So with the upset I bought some Easton MonkeyLite XC Bars to cheer me up. It worked and they look great. Need to update the Spec list as well.

Scotty

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here is my M-pire after I hard anodize the frame.

Military spec type II "clear" Hard anodize (you can also make it "Black" and then is very black)

the red parts were tumble on dry wallnut shells for about 30 hours to achieve a perfect mirror finish.

It cost me a lot of money to do it, even if I have some good connections in the industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5c0tty
    Karve

I popped into the shop to see if I could get a peak at your new pile of sexy pipes but you had left the shop about 15mins before I got there !

So with the upset I bought some Easton MonkeyLite XC Bars to cheer me up. It worked and they look great. Need to update the Spec list as well.

Scotty
    LOL shame... it was all bubble wrapped up by the time i got there anyway. ill make sure I give u a buzz when im out in Dorking next and it is all built up. Must be quite a few Nicolai riders near Dorking.. the chaps there say they are selling one a week.

Nice patineto i bet that is bad ass durable... looks like the knightrider of bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Nice patineto i bet that is bad ass durable... looks like the knightrider of bikes
    you bet, sometimes the surface becomes so "hardened" (Depends on the alloy) you need to de-anodize the part before you can re-machine it, or at least require you to be far more careful when drilling on the surface since the bit will tend to skip and slide..

I have motorcycles parts I made ten years ago cover with this (prep, treated, quemically alter, etc) that still looks like new when the rest of the finish on the bike is all messup. (and they are BMW's well know for their finish quality)

'All over it!'
    Hey Karve, lovely ride there my friend, looks awesome in the buff, so to speak. Let us know how the build progresses as I am very interested in your choice of fork. The Totem at 170mm is an interesting prospect. Keep us posted buddy

mtbr member
    May 2005
    what`s the weight of all this blink blink parts. I mean a frame parts without the shock?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast