Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Helius FR - All Mountain setup

Hi!

I am planning to build a Helius FR in a lighter way. Already have Perp for heavy duty! This is gonna be present to myself for a finished college.

Helius FR 2007, medium size, ano black
    RS Pike 454 Air U-turn
    RS Pearl 3.3 200mm ETE
    Chris King threadset
    Avid Juicy 5 brakes
    Sram X-9 rear derraileur and shifters
    some light components (seatpost, handlebar, stem)
    still haven't decided about wheelsets
    SRAM P-990 rear cogs
    SRAM PC-991 chain
    Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 tires (single ply, GG front and TripleC rear)
    FSA Afterburner crankset 22/32/FSA bash
    some flat pedals
    Fizik Gobi saddle
    Lizard Skins Steve Peaty signature grips

i thinks that's it!

I am still open for comments and prepositions...

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    A standard Chris King Threadset will void your warranty on the headtube, but if you're going to use the bike for AM exclusively you're probably not going to go big and won't ovalize the headtube.

For the wheelset, I'd go Hope Pro II + DT Competition + DT EX 5.1d, light and pretty strong. You could also go with 10 mm through bolt hub in the rear with DT RWS through bolt for added stiffness and no weight penalty.

Don't remember the weight of Big Betties but Nobby Nics are also a good choice and are probably lighter (might be wrong here).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Tnx for the comments...

Had Noby Nics in mind aswell...thankfully the Schwalbe dealer for Slovenia is dear friend of mine

local trails rider
    With post and stem, Thomson is always a solid choice.

I think Schwalbe BB is pretty FR oriented. Fat Albert might be more AM. NN will definitely be lighter but if you have sharp rocks around, you need the reinforced sidewalls. I think '08 NN 2.4 is available with "snakeskin" and some other side protection.

I like Shimano cranks, no idea about FSA.

Have you sat on a Gobi? It did not really suit me but I know many others love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    OK...the tires are not entirely an issue...as i said before I have pretty much everything from Schwalbe available! The Thomson seatpost and stem are for sure nice high-end components. Worth considering! Was thinking about Syncros aswell...(in white combo with rims)

local trails rider
    I have a Thomson Elite post on one bike and a Syncros Derived on another. Both are quality products but I far prefer the Thomson's head and the way you adjust the saddle angle.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet build. Can you look at another shock instead of the Pearl. Have ridden it, it is not great to say the least, just ok...

As Smithy mentions, I have gone with a 10mm rear bolt through, strong as, makes the rear end stiffer than a honey mooners chopper !!!! Are you on the light AM ride end or more towards the light FR, this will make a difference with spec choice.

I have built mine more for the light FR end......

Keep us updated
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    As Smithy mentions, I have gone with a 10mm rear bolt through, strong as, makes the rear end stiffer than a honey mooners chopper !!!!
    Hey Whafe, I though you had the 12 mm Maxle? I'm totally confused

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    A standard Chris King Threadset will void your warranty on the headtube,
    Headset or Threadset? I see a lot of people use Chris King on their Nicolai's...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Headset or Threadset? I see a lot of people use Chris King on their Nicolai's...
    Um, I actually meant Chris King NoThreadSet but just typed it that way after the OP's message.

The CK headset that won't void warranty on Helius FR is the SteelSet.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    The CK headset that won't void warranty on Helius FR is the SteelSet.
    Do you know if it applies to 1.5 frames as well? The new CK 1.5 headsets are aluminum AFAIK...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Drink...sleep
    Do you know if it applies to 1.5 frames as well? The new CK 1.5 headsets are aluminum AFAIK...
    No worries for 1.5. Minimum there is only 15mm insertion.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Boozzz is right, 1.5 frames do not have this requirement of a deep cup headset.
    BTW it doesn't have to be steel, it just has to have at least 22-mm deep cups. There's a number of deep cup aluminium headsets that are ok on the Nicolais.
    More on this topic here: Deep cup headsets for Nicolai bikes

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Scratch the Pearl, go for an RP23 or a DHX-A.

The 12mm Maxle like Whafe has rocks. The 10mm DT Swiss RWS is also a sweet setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    a honey mooners chopper !!!!
    hei whafe...please explain, i guess for a hundrieth time, what the hell does that mean? hahaha sounds sweet...

DT Swiss RWS is a sweet option...i'll propably go for it!

And I meant CK headset, not threadset - my mistake...

the pearl shock is already mounted on the frame, which we have in our shop!

FSA cranks are from my previous bike Canondale Prophet 2 '07

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Has anybody of you ridden the new RS Monarch yet ? I read on a german bike-forum, that there are 2 different models available, one with a smaller air volume and one with a larger air volume. The bigger one should be not only weight-wise interesting, but also price-wise.

"Its All Good"
    Smithy - My mistake buddy, yes it is 12mm, a blonde moment...

Explanation of a "honeymooners chopper" Well figuretively speaking, most of you like me, are brand new before marrige so to speak, so you would in fact be harder than a policemans batton.... So does that make sense now, be very much standing at attention.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Majmun, to go light on the FR I would recommend DTEX1750 wheelset (1750 grams the pair) very strong and light, available with 20mm bolt-through front, XTR crankset extemely light and strong, Formula Oro Puro, K24 or Bianco brakes with lots of power and feel and they are light, and shock options you might consider the Magura Hugin or new MX (available soon this shock has no seals or oil but uses a rubber bladder instead) both are around 200g or one of the DT shocks. Fork wise you should take a look at the new Manitou's that are under 4lb with bolt-through or the DT forks with bolt-through which are around 3.6lb. NN are great light all-rounders and you could use Racing Ralphs on the rear for an even lighter and faster ride.

'All over it!'
    That sounds like a lot of weight saved, but would you really want the FR, as capable as it is, that light? I suppose it all depends on rider weight and their riding intentions. Me personally, as a large lad went with the slightly muscular build at 36.4lb and have found that it climbs as well as my old 575.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    lornibear, at 32lb the FR is a great all-rounder. I am considering building an ST for the alps with either a Totem coil or Marz. 66 fork. Any advice on this build would be appreciated. Should come our about 35lb.

'All over it!'
    Ryates,

I am in no way doubting your build spec for the ST, however I do think that your plan for 35lb is a little optimistic. Saying that, I would love to see your proposed specification as I am planning an ST build with a totem late this year. I am going to aim in the region of 38-39 lb, what with having a 36lb FR.

I am thinking of going with the Saint chainsets as they are super stiff for my size. Probably saint brakes and the CCDB as in my opinion, it's the best shock in the world. Everything else is still within my thought process.

Let me know your thoughts on your ST build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    lornibear,
    I think I can get a 35/36lb build with: totem coil, EX1750 wheels, XTR double with bash, Formula The One brakes, Burgtec ridewide scandium bars, XTR tit. cassette, XTR front mech., XO rear mech., Thomson stem and post, CCDB shock with steel spring, Schwalbe Big Betty front, Nobby Nic rear. I have based my figures on the fact that my FR weighs 32lb with a very similar build except for the fork, frame and front tyre, which should add around 3.5lbs. Frame is XL size. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Im looking to stick a totem solo air on my FR build and If I get it below 35lbs, I will be stoked, so a ST build at 36 would be going some.
    Last edited by Karve; 01-29-2008 at 04:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Karve, my FR weighs 32lb with Wotan (which is approx 5.5lb), the totem air adds about .0.5lb or so. Have you considered an ST instead, the totem would be a much better match? This will be my next purchase. Otherwise for the FR I can recommend the Wotan which has performed faultlessly or the new Fox 36 Vanilla could be a good match for the FR. I also highly recommend the CCDB as a shock for either of these.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Karve, my FR weighs 32lb with Wotan (which is approx 5.5lb), .
    Wow.. whats the spec on that baby? Does it have a coil shock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast