mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Helius fr 07 /08

Hi i am thinking of buying a helius fr and how can you tell the difference between an 07 and 08.I want to run a 180mm fork, so reading on here i need an 08,visually whats the difference on the headtube/gusset so i dont get the wrong one.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    From 07 to 08 the Helius FR got a major update. Other, more marketing orientated, companies would say it's a new frame.

Apart from the new head-gusset the pivot on the toptube moved back between seattube und seattube-gusset for better suspension response.

The lever has now only 2 possible mounting holes for the shock, instead of 4 like the 07 model.

The frame is now warranted up to fork like the Totem, but i don't know the exact max. a2c length. So, if you want to run a a 180mm fork, the 08 FR is your only option doing that "legally". Only restriction: the early 08 FR's weren't ready for 180mm forks. Later they used a stronger downtube to solve that issue. Unfortunately Nicolai hasn't keep record of the the exact serial-number, when they used that DT in production. So, if you already have 08 model in your sights, check the welds of the headgusset on the downtube. All 3 "partial"-welds have to be of the same length and width. If the lower (closer to the bottom bracket) weld is narrower than the other 2 welds, the frame doesn't have the reinforced DT and is not warranted with 180mm forks.

But AFAIK they changed that pretty early in production, here are quite some 08 FR's around and i mean to recall that all of them have that strengthend downtube.

What else .... if your order a new frame now, you can choose different rear-axle standards without surcharge.
    Last edited by Testmaen; 09-28-2008 at 05:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks.

I have been after a nicolai for ages but cant seem to find enough money for a new one so might have to go secondhand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What frame size would you propably need ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Frame size

Probably a large. 6ft 2" and not a light 6'2 so i need a good strong bike.I want a bike to do everything except the largest drops(6 ft+) and the fr fits that well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi norcosam, you might be interested in my 05 FR....good condition.....615mm t/t should suit 6ft 2 in rider (I'm 6ft 3in).....ano black.....not for 180 forks but ok with Fox 36 or Magura Wotan....pm me if interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a bike with 160mm lyriks at the moment and dont find them enough travel at times .If i get a helius fr it will be compatible with 180mm forks.Even if i have to buy a new frame.
    Thanks for the offer

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Spring

I was wondering what spring i would need, i weigh about 16st(225lbs)fully kitted what spring would i require on a dhx5 coil.I have to allow some cash for another spring because i am quite heavy.

Thanks

mtbr member
    You will definitely need a large norcosam. I am the same height as you and the large fits me perfectly with a 65mm stem. The 2008 FR is a great frame and the Totem is the ideal fork for it.

steep fast and loose :)
    yetiman - is yours the modded 180mm capable model ? i thought it was from the initial 08 FR batch ?
    i'm in a pickle regarding headset choice too, as i need deep cup insertion (ooh err)...what are you using with the TOTEM's ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hi, I ride a 07 model with a 180mm fork, it's perfect !

I test it with a 160fox VAN R, but I prefer stay with my 66 !

you can check photos here : http://picasaweb.google.fr/bikes.of....98498254107634

mtbr member
    TLR - we checked and it's one of the "beefed up" versions. I'm running a Diabolous headset which I think Dipper measured at just under 22mm but I can't honestly remember. I'd better check to make sure.

mtbr member
    I've got a Nicolai FET headset I picked up of the dreaded bay a few weeks back for a few sheckles.

I don't have scales strong enough to weigh it but postage was a bloody fortune for the bloke what sent it.

It was destined for my Balfa but I may just sell it to P&O for a boat anchor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Fetsets are about 500g i have heard.I would only have a chris king in mine when i get one.

And on the seat tube the gusset that goes from that to the top tube i notice in the pictures of peoples frames that some have helius wrote on them others have just HE is this year specific or another reason?

steep fast and loose :)
    if you're about to fit a chris king - be warned that only the steelset offers the deep cup > 22mm minimum required !

mtbr member
    TLR - Not sure if you've seen this thread before but might of use to you

Deep cup headsets for Nicolai bikes