mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Helius CC tyre clearance

My fave tyre at the moment is a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 stickE. I've just been to view a 2005 Helius CC (in a cool green camo paintjob, not sure its really me but it does look interesting) and wondered if anyone has tried this tyre/frame combo. The website suggests 2.3 max, are the nevegals small or large for their size and will it rub or is there plenty of clearance for a 2.3?

thanks for any help,

Ian

ps - also wondering about travel settings - has anyone run a fox float 130 up front with the travel in one of the middle settings? Can't decide if it should be balanced or if 20-30mm difference might actually be fun...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ian
    Can't comment on your actual tyre choice, but I tried a Maxxis Minion on the rear of my Helius CC earlier today in the workshop.

I didn't like the look of it, it fitted, but there was very little clearance between the tyre and the stay.

Minion is a 2.3 (that actual measures up a little narrow).

I'll stick to 2.1's on the back - but put the Minion on the front for greater security.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks nicolap, I may have to do the same, try the 2.35 when it comes and stick it on the front if it its no good. Now, should I go for the same in 2.1, or does anyone make any good 2.2999999999999999" rear tyres that will grip on the wet Helsinki granite and roots?!

Ian

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBonty
    does anyone make any good 2.2999999999999999" rear tyres that will grip on the wet Helsinki granite and roots?!
    There's no such thing, if wet Helsinki rocks and roots are anything like those around Tampere. I've been using Schwalbe RR, with the theory that more rubber in contact with the rock/root, instead of just the tops of the knobs, might help. The other way might be flying over all the wet rocks and roots...

wyrd bi ful rd
    am using a michelin mountain dry 2 which comes in a 2.3 and it is quite tight. about 5mm clearance either side from the stay.

at the next tyre replacement i think i will go for a 2.2.

i have tried running a travel of about 145mm front (have tried it at various travels from 130mm up) and it feels right even for my steep climbs ... any longer i think i will not be able to hold down the front end. have left it at about 130-135mm.

the next 2 rear travel settings reduces the travel from 129mm to about 115mm and 102mm. if you were to reduce the rear you might still be able to get away with a 130mm up front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the tyre and shock settings advice! I've got a Nokian NBX 2.3 on the back at the moment - just enough clearance to be comfortable with when it is dry, but closer than I like when wet so will probably swap out for the 2.1 Nevegal or similar in the wet... Think I'm only supposed to have 130 Max on the front cos its a 2005 frame, wish I had a talas to play about with at the same time as the frame settings! Kept it at full so far and it rides really well. I'm also getting a few pedal and crank strikes on the rockier trails, maybe cos I have long 180 cranks on it, but am worried that if I drop the travel they'll be harder and more frequent... We'll see.

Thanks again for the tips and help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm running Continental Vertical Pro's on my 2008 CC and the clearance is fine - I just completed a very muddy weekend of riding with no problems at all. I think the Conti Verts are at the small end of 2.3's though.....