mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Helius CC Shock options

I've never been that happy with the DT Swiss SSD190L shock on my CC.

The air tuning is just too sensitive: either get the sag right and blow through the mid-stroke on ascents and rolling trails such as most single track or have a firmer mid-stroke and lose small bump sensitivity and ride high in the stroke.

Any options? I run a Manitou Minute MRD fork 20mm TA which is smooth and stiff, but also light. So I wouldn't want to pack on over half a kilo of shock given the DT is ~200gms. So up to c. 450grms would be a rough limit.

How would a longer stroke shock affect the feel? So say a 57mm stroke shock run on the second (115mm travel for a 50mm stroke shock) position, to give (by my calculations) close to 130mm travel.

I'm not trying to squeeze out some extra travel, as I'm happy there. Just looking at options to widen the scope of shock choice and perhaps improve the feel of the suspension at the back.

I live in New Zealand now, so my choices are limited to the Rock Shox, Fox or Marzocchi locally, or resourcing overseas, which was a pain with the fork as it was faulty as new and I had to repair it myself (Manitou were very helpful though direct) - I'd do it again, but only on a shock I could home rebuild.

Any thoughts appreciated or experiences.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Mudson, my advice: CCDB with perhaps titanium coil; weight around 700g with ti or
    830g with steel coil. The extra weight is worth it and they are very reliable. Many people run 57mm coils on the
    second hole, no problems. Otherwise, if your prepared to sacrifice performance for weight
    advantage, then Magura air shock or Rock Shox Monarch (possible reliability problems with
    RS I here?).

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Simon from Nicolai-UK tested the RS Monarch a while ago and was quite pleased with it. But see for yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon from Nicolai-UK
    I spent Easter week riding in the Lake District with a Monarch 4.2 on my Helius CC. It’s an impressive piece of kit. Very nicely made with good solid adjusters and switchgear. The sag markings on the shaft (like the travel markings on Rock Shox forks) make getting the correct air pressure much less hit and miss than usual and the pivoting air valve means the valve is easy to get to when you need it and safely out of the way when you’re done.
    Switchable ‘floodgate’ platform damping, with a big range of adjustment, is there if you like to have a more solid suspension when climbing or on the road. I much prefer the option of platform damping to a lock out - it’s far less of a problem if you set off downhill without disabling it. Performance was excellent - I didn’t notice a change from the Fox RP23 I’d been riding recently. Weight is exactly the same as the Fox (c275g with bushings) and Rock Shox say it’s fine to use for everything except downhill. The price is keen as well - we’re recommending this for both the Helius CC and AM now.
    http://www.nicolai-uk.com/index.php/...-shox-monarch/

I especially like the sag-markings on the shock. Makes you think, why not all manufactureres have them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hi,

Thanks for the feedback so far. To be fair, I think the CCDB would be overkill for me as I don't really do the riding that would warrant a shock of that caliber. I rarely get much air and the terrain I tackle here in Wellington is not that rocky or that scary. I'm more in the XC side of things I guess.

The Monarch is a possibility. I'll look into it further.

An thoughts on whether I would notice any change to the ride by having the longer stroke shock at the lower bolt hole? Or is it all square?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    mudson, based on how you say you ride you might want to look at the Cane Creek Cloud 9. I ran one on my Turner (and ride similar to what you describe) and was really pleased with it.

wyrd bi ful rd
    I did a measurement with the rear shock top mounting holes at 143mm (200mm-57mm) apart and my tyre, Michelin Mountain Dry 2, comes really close to the seat tube.

If you decide to go with a 57mm air shock at the top mounting hole ... do check at full compression for clearance with the front derailleur as well.

Just check it as well even at the second mounting hole as the travel will be 130mm at the setup ...

"Its All Good"
    Have you considered a Fox RP23 by chance..... I know ncig's crew up Boston way were mostly running RP23's on their Helius CC's....

Anyways, welcome to NZ, good to see a fellow Nicolai rider..... If you get up to Auckland, sing out if you wish to ride, if am home in NZ at the time, will show you some trails....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Had my Fox DHX 4 coil "Pushed" and serviced with TF Tuned.

Made quite a difference, shock seems to be stable with no hint at all of any bob or wallowing. Rides like a hardtail if that makes sense, without the obvious rear end jarring.

In fact the biggest compliment I can make is that I forgot all about the rear end and just concentrated on the descent.