mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Helius CC & Rohloff

If you ride a Helius CC (or another FS MTB) with a Rohloff - Do you run a chain guide & if so which one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Any excuse to show it.

Yep, run the Rohloff chain guide, had the bike since August 08 - chain hasn't come off once - highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks - looks the part and if it keeps my chain on, I'll be getting one too.

What chain are you running? I'm using the Rohloff..

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was using a SRAM 9 speed chain, but found that it didn't last that long, and don't need the shifting of an expensive 9 speed chain.

Trying a Izumi 8 speed chain at present - the one specifically without the shifting ramps. Seems ok so far.

Probably will end up with an 8 speed Rohloff chain in the near future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Was it recommended to you to use from day one?

Be interested to swap tales of our build if you're up for a ride out..

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Chain was sort of recommended, but I have to say that the 'hoff needs a simple chain, doesn't require the shifting ramps that exist on the mainstream 9 speed chains.

The Izumi chain looks much sturdier, can't say I notice any real difference, it makes a different type of whirring sound at slower speeds. Nice solid chain, feels good to use the chain rivet tool again.

Have a look at the link for detailed photo's , changed a little since the original build.

Noticeable improvements have been the Brooks Swift saddle, and the Fox Vanilla coil forks.
    In particular look at the cable routing for the Rohloff cables - I found this to be a better way of routing the cables. Wrap a Lizard skin around the fork crown - zip tie it down and use another zip tie to act as a cable guide.

Any questions , drop me an email - see my profile - I live in sunny South Wales, so I'm quite a distance away. Spoilt for riding around here, seem to know every stone at Afan / Glyncorrwg and brechfa now.

http://my.opera.com/nicolap99/albums/show.dml?id=584360