Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Helius CC cable rub

I'm having some quite big issues with cable rub on the drive side rear mech cable routing.

Basically, the rear of the two cable guides is wearing out at an alarming rate, with the cable guide so worn that it is almost at the point where it will almost no longer hold the cable outer in place at the back of the top tube. At the same time, the cable outer is also getting rubbed to hell. I changed them 2 rides ago, and having got back from a days riding at Afan yesterday the cable outer is stripped back to the steel wires inside. That is after just two rides! In fact there was serious rub caused by the rear mech cable on the top tube below the shock mount as well, which I noticed a few months back and cured with some helicopter tape.

But getting back to the rear mech cable stops, the way things are going I'm going to need new cable guides on this frame before long as the rear mech cable will have nothing to hold it in place. Can't say I'm too stoked about this, never mind the fact that I'll be having to replace the cable outer every ride.

Any thoughts?

banned
    Pictures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here you go:

banned
    Wow, these are simply snap in guides?

That sucks. I don't think Nic would bother themselves on such a thing, but I can try and suggest to either drill into the side of the guide to zip tie, or to possibly put epoxy on to tighten the gap and make it more wear resistant. Either way, bummer on such an expensive frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Unfortuately,the way the weather is, this kind of thing (i.e. getting mud and grit on the frame...no **** it is always raining these days....) is pretty much unavoidable. I need to do something about it.

banned
    Zip tie or velcro around the TT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Have a go with either some silicone tubing or preferably some standard petrol pipe, just slit it and pop it on. I agree you shouldn't get this sort of issue, but given that you are then a sacrificial outer sleeve would be a quick fix..

Pop down to Halfords or your local motor factors and have a rummage.

You might also like to try some plastic helix wrap. I'll google it and post a link if I can find some..

On a lighter note - no mention of Rohloff up until now...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Could you build up the size of the outer with black insulation tape to make it a very tight fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What I meant is actually called spiral binding. Here you go:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ing.php#spiral

A few other possibles here also..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions - certainly may help in the interim. E-mail to the distributor Monday I think.

Distributor
    Cable rub is not a manufacturing issue - we have been using the same cable guides for around 4 years and run them ourselves in all conditions without this problem. Parts attached to the frame by the customer, and any damage resulting, is not covered by warranty - It is the customer's responsibility to protect the frame against cable rub and to ensure any issues are dealt with quickly. Once metal is worn away the only solutions become very expensive.

Please take your frame back to your Nicolai dealer and ask their advice.

You need to anchor the cable in the guide so that it flexes rather than moving through the guides as the suspension compresses. Since you have allowed the guide to become so worn the suggestion of drilling and ziptieing may be appropriate but please have it looked at by a dealer before riding it further.

i've added a piece on this to our website if anyone is looking for advice.

http://www.nicolai-uk.com/index.php/2008/11/cable-rub/
    Last edited by nicolai-uk; 11-23-2008 at 06:27 AM.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

wyrd bi ful rd
    the cable rubs against the cable guides on compression of the rear end ... what you need to do is to prevent the cable from moving back and forth when the rear linkages move up and down ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't recall suggesting it was a manufacturing issue.

Anyway, thanks for your supportive message about this damage to my expensive frame. Coupled with that fact that my Nicolai dealer has gone bankrupt, I can see I'll be getting be getting this sorted real soon. : /

Before you're in possession of all the facts, I'd rather you didn't suggest things like "you have allowed the guide to become so worn". And another thing. I didn't attach parts to this frame - one of your now ex-dealers did when I had it custom built by them at some considerable cost to me.

Oh, perhaps you can suggest something useful like how one might 'anchor' a hose through such a guide? Or rather, how exactly should one of your dealers have anchored the cable outer to a guide that has absolutely no way of doing so?? No I know, we'll just take the customers cash, and **** the consequences while getting straight on the defensive about how it isn't our fault/responsibility or whatever. Jesus, all I was hoping for was a solution, and if you wanted to chip in perhaps it could be with a genuine solution about how I might get the damn guide replaced.

banned
    There should be ziptied cable tie slots at a location where a sharp bend and suspension actuation should require it. It's odd to make an oversight like that, along with the fact that a cable guide can be soft enough to wear from cable rub? That's a first. It's not entirely inconceivable that there could be a soft or excessively porous guide could have been used, especially since they all come from a place most companies don't want to talk about.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I think someone needs some customer service lessons. Being blunt and making assumtions is not a good way to deal with the poor guy with the problem, I think being quiet would have worked so much better.

I'd contact Nicolai Germany on this as they are VERY helpful, and will sort out any problem very quickly - email (Karl) kalle@nicolai.net.

As for the guide problem i'm sure there's a simple solution to stop this, although the frame should have been routed properly in the first place by the dealer if you purchased a full build (It sound like you did).

Jesus alot of ar$e covering going on in this forum for no reason, get a grip.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai-uk
    Cable rub is not a manufacturing issue - we have been using the same cable guides for around 4 years and run them ourselves in all conditions without this problem. Parts attached to the frame by the customer, and any damage resulting, is not covered by warranty - It is the customer's responsibility to protect the frame against cable rub and to ensure any issues are dealt with quickly. Once metal is worn away the only solutions become very expensive.

Please take your frame back to your Nicolai dealer and ask their advice.

You need to anchor the cable in the guide so that it flexes rather than moving through the guides as the suspension compresses. Since you have allowed the guide to become so worn the suggestion of drilling and ziptieing may be appropriate but please have it looked at by a dealer before riding it further.

i've added a piece on this to our website if anyone is looking for advice.

I think the best thing to have done have been to contact the owner and speak on the situation.

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK-O-LAI
    I don't recall suggesting it was a manufacturing issue.

Anyway, thanks for your supportive message about this damage to my expensive frame. Coupled with that fact that my Nicolai dealer has gone bankrupt, I can see I'll be getting be getting this sorted real soon. : /

Before you're in possession of all the facts, I'd rather you didn't suggest things like "you have allowed the guide to become so worn". And another thing. I didn't attach parts to this frame - one of your now ex-dealers did when I had it custom built by them at some considerable cost to me.

Oh, perhaps you can suggest something useful like how one might 'anchor' a hose through such a guide? Or rather, how exactly should one of your dealers have anchored the cable outer to a guide that has absolutely no way of doing so?? No I know, we'll just take the customers cash, and **** the consequences while getting straight on the defensive about how it isn't our fault/responsibility or whatever. Jesus, all I was hoping for was a solution, and if you wanted to chip in perhaps it could be with a genuine solution about how I might get the damn guide replaced.
    This all sounds very familiar, I absolutely know what you're saying. Send Falco or Karl an email, at least my experiences with them have been slightly better. Great job again by Nicolai UK... The way they're going, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't last too long anymore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys. Exactly what I was thinking,

You know, I wasn't even trying to suggest this was some kind of warranty issue or not. I was just hoping for some suggestions and some decent CS and help to get my ride sorted.

I will probably e-mail them direct.

Distributor
    . I was just hoping for some suggestions
    "You should also make sure your cables are not sliding in the guides as this will quickly wear the guides away. Most cables are not a problem but some narrower ones will move. This can usually be solved with a zip tie tightly around the cable on either side of one the guide or a bit of tape."

We have taken on Trail Junkies (http://www.trailjunkies.com/) in Moulsford who are handling sales and support in the Reading area. The iBike store has reopened as a branch of Cyclezone with Dave Young as Manager. Dave previously worked as the store manager for iBike and has an extensive knowledge of Nicolai. Whilst Cyclezone are not currently a Nicolai dealer Dave's continuing to service iBike Nicolais and has access to spares and support as needed.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nick O Lai,

Suggestion: check out RS components cable tie with self-adhesive base Part No 543-484

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    FWIW I will be talking to Dave about this. And you, along with Nicolai in Germany will be hearing direct from me as well.

Oh and next time I buy a frame, i'll have to make sure I check with the distributor for any bodges that are needed to keep it running ok.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hold on a second - I can't believe you point me to a link posted on November 23rd 2008 i.e. today??!? WTF?!

I'll edit my previous comment out...
    Last edited by NICK-O-LAI; 11-23-2008 at 02:21 PM.

banned
    FWIW I will be talking to Dave about this. And you, along with Nicolai in Germany will be hearing direct from me as well.

Oh and next time I buy a frame, i'll have to make sure I check with the distributor for any bodges that are needed to keep it running ok.
    Well, if you buy again and really like the Nicolai designs, but can't deal with their distribution and CS, check out Nox. Supposedly, some guys that were at Nicolai started their own company. Startlingly similar in design and execution and costs less. I've been meaning to post shots from EB, but they are a virtual twin to Nicolai's line.

mtbr member
    The anodizing on the inside of my linkages has been rubbed off due to cable rub... so kinda the opposite you have there... no big deal but still annoying. There is no other way to route the cables as thats where the guides are. I have covered the inside of them with chopper tape to prevent it getting worse.. (ebay and designed for the tips of chopper blades) Might be an idea for all u guys out there just to check that you don't have the same issue.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    The guides on the rear chainstay to the rear mech on mine are right through the anodizing and thats in a couple of months. Never had that on a frame before as there's no real way to protect those

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast