mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Helius CC bearing play

Hi
    I've just had a high mileage week of riding at Coed Y Brenin, Brechfa and my local Afan area.

Washing the bike this evening I've noticed that I've got some play in the frame bearings. At first I thought it was the rear shock bushings , but on closer inspection its definately the bottom main bearing and possibly the top one as well.

I know that the bearings can be slightly adjusted with the small allen bolt screw that secures the bearings.

Does anyone have any torque settings for these bolts?

Am I better off getting a full set of replacement bearings anyway?

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolap99
    Hi
    I've just had a high mileage week of riding at Coed Y Brenin, Brechfa and my local Afan area.

Washing the bike this evening I've noticed that I've got some play in the frame bearings. At first I thought it was the rear shock bushings , but on closer inspection its definately the bottom main bearing and possibly the top one as well.

I know that the bearings can be slightly adjusted with the small allen bolt screw that secures the bearings.

Does anyone have any torque settings for these bolts?

Am I better off getting a full set of replacement bearings anyway?
    If you go to Nicolai's site, you can download instructions for this. They are in German though, so I will give a short translation: they must be just tight enough that the back end won't move under its own weight (so remove the wheel and shock). If you open them up and fill them with grease, another way to see when you've reached correct torque is that when tightening them again, a ring of grease appears around the bolt cap. You should be able to remove the play by adjusting it like this

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Cheers Boozzz

I found the instructions on the Nicolai site, but I can't speak German

Took my bike up to my local bike shop (Skyline Cycles at Glyncorrwg - Nicolai dealer), they showed me how to take up the play in all the bearings - really simple when you know how.

Kevin the mechanic took up the play and its as good as new.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet to hear it is fully sorted. I too looked on the Nicolai site, my German is, well sucks.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"