• 11-10-2012
    crank1979
    I've been thinking about this for a long time. Unfortunately other priorities have meant a bike was on hold, but I'm almost good to go now.

The Helius AC Pinion is looking pretty good. Does anyone know the frame weight and if it includes all of the Pinion bits (crank, shifter, etc)?
  • 11-11-2012
    ianpinder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a long time. Unfortunately other priorities have meant a bike was on hold, but I'm almost good to go now.

The Helius AC Pinion is looking pretty good. Does anyone know the frame weight and if it includes all of the Pinion bits (crank, shifter, etc)?

I have a xl ac29er pinion with what looks like some extra gussets for my bulky weight....

It weighs 15lbs.

That includes shifter cranks and rear sprocket
  • 11-28-2012
    crank1979
    Now that I'm pretty well set on the Helius AC, can anyone tell me if it is available with a 142x12 rear axle set up?
  • 11-28-2012
    Midgetman
    -sorry, was wrong-
  • 11-28-2012
    nicolai-uk
    Quote:

Now that I'm pretty well set on the Helius AC, can anyone tell me if it is available with a 142x12 rear axle set up?

No - AC is not available with 142mm. At present only the Ion 16 is fitted with 142mm.
  • 11-29-2012
    crank1979
    That messes things up a bit then. :confused:
  • 11-29-2012
    Professed
    i'll have my liteville 301 built in a week or two. in sydney.
    i'll post my thoughts of how it rides in our terrain if you can wait.
  • 11-29-2012
    Midgetman
    Quote:

That messes things up a bit then. :confused:

But there's a 12x135mm rear axle option, wouldn't that do in terms of stiffness? Or are you very attached to your present rear hub? ;)
  • 11-30-2012
    crank1979
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Professed View Post

I'm happy with my Liteville 301. I'm selling my Pivot Mach 5 and Firebird though and I'm keen on the Helius AC Pinion to replace them.:thumbsup:
  • 11-30-2012
    crank1979
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Midgetman View Post
    But there's a 12x135mm rear axle option, wouldn't that do in terms of stiffness? Or are you very attached to your present rear hub? ;)

I was hoping to run XTR Trail wheels, but I guess I could go for a set of Crossmax SX instead.:)
  • 12-07-2012
    crank1979
    It might be a little way off, but I put down a deposit for a Helius AC Pinion with the local distributor yesterday. :D
  • 12-12-2012
    Axe
    Quote:

Or, how does a Helius AM compare to a Pivot Firebird?

Feels plusher and more active to me. Pivot is a tad more nervous IMHO. Pivot climbs notably better on smooth roads, but I did not try them with equivalent shocks (was RP23 on Pivot, which ain't the same as Cane Creek DB air I got, which I tuned to go down. I can handle a bit of suspension movement when pedaling. ). Same observation in the rough (up and down) - Helius was much nicer, but that is my preference in suspension and possibly shock tune. Both bike are very well made and obviously study. Appearance wise, Nicolai wins. Not sure it is really debatable (don't flame me, Pivot fans). But you can periodically snag Firebird on a really good discount (just saw ~$1400 for last year ones)

Waiting on Lyrik DH Coil 170mm for Helius, should only get better. Difficult to dial out brake dive on Wotan without flipping "Albert" platform back and forth..
  • 12-13-2012
    crank1979
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Feels plusher and more active to me. Pivot is a tad more nervous IMHO. Pivot climbs notably better on smooth roads, but I did not try them with equivalent shocks (was RP23 on Pivot, which ain't the same as Cane Creek DB air I got, which I tuned to go down. I can handle a bit of suspension movement when pedaling. ). Same observation in the rough (up and down) - Helius was much nicer, but that is my preference in suspension and possibly shock tune. Both bike are very well made and obviously study. Appearance wise, Nicolai wins. Not sure it is really debatable (don't flame me, Pivot fans). But you can periodically snag Firebird on a really good discount (just saw ~$1400 for last year ones)

Sounds like it could be an interesting comparison to how I run my Firebird with a CCDB coil. Hopefully the Helius AC is a good replacement for the Mach 5 and Firebird. :)
  • 01-04-2013
    Affe
    any update?
    im interested since i own a bird but have always been a fan of Nicolai and Liteville and hope to be able to ride those one day..
  • 01-04-2013
    crank1979
    It's proving to be a little difficult to get information or the frame in Australia. I'm still hoping for it to work out.:thumbsup:
  • 03-20-2013
    Professed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Professed View Post

Thought I would do the right thing and honour my promise here.

Completed the build with XX1, Tune/Stans/sapim cx ray wheels, Syntace Kit the best part of which are the super wide and swept Vector bars and megaforce 60mm stem.

Had some lighter rubber initially - Nobby N on the front and Racing R on the back and found the set up limited the bike enormously

The rear plates are set up for 140mm with a 150mm Revelation out front.

Bike feels mostly balanced in this setting with the Revelation still having too much initial low speed compression for my liking.

It is very plush but since it has an FSR rear end feels a lot more lively than a VPP or such. Ridden back to back with a Carbine 275 which admittedly was set up rather badly IMO the bike felt plusher, livelier but more bobby. The Carbine was tigher being shorter so more nimble and the rear end of the Carbine felt a lot firmer on smooth ground whilst climbing.

The 301 however felt more stable and more confidence inspiring due to its longer wheelbase and slacker head angle.

Take your pick or preference. Ultimately any machine of this ilk - Nicolai or Liteville - if set up correctly will make you smile every second of your ride !