Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    steep fast and loose :)

Helius AM - Tyre Choice[s]

what rubber you running on yer AM's ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just put a set of Specialized Eskars on mine. Running them UST tubeless; they are 2.35" with a dual compound rubber so 65 durometer on the centre and 55 on the shoulders. Weight is a confirmed 720g per tyre.

Prior to this I was running Maxxis Ardent 2.35" LUST. Great tyre in soft loamy soil, but they are heavy at 880g each!

mtbr member
    cant beat minion front and high roller or crossmark back, unless its uber muddy then its all about cut spikes!

i've whacked on an old pair of big betty's with a view to converting the 5.1D's to tubeless............

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Used Maxxis Ignitors 2.35 ust on the Fr,Heavy at 800g.
    Good performer,no punctures,fast rolling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    minion front, highroller back here too!

i like a tyre that rolls into corners well [not square edged] and with progressive break-away.....

now the AM's going big hitting, the big betty's make perfect sense

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Big Betty works okay as a rear tyre, but the lack of cornering grip make them terrible as front tyre.

I would like to try Conti Mountain Kin 2.4 next time

whereas i think the big betty offers front end feedback and a progressive break-away with lots of lateral grip ....depends on set pressure of course.......

definitely want to try 2.4 rubber queen or 2.4 mountain kings sometime soon

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    TLR If you want to hurt yourself then by all means try 2.4 mountain king on front, if rather you'd like to push the boundaries of grip (well at least have some) then go Rubber Queen same as me.

ps. doesn't stop you going over the bars and smashing your hand though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    In fact you pay the postage and mountain king ust is yours gratis

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    2.4 RQ's F & R are fabulous, roll really well for size, fairly light, grip, good on roots, run 25 - 28 psi, reasonable in wet. I find better than NN's and BB's. Worth checking out 2.3 Baron for wet. Also new pattern 2.4 MK's? Mix them up?

Put BB's on the back and use MM's on the front?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    So the MK's are that bad Garry!?

Nothing ruin good rides like bad tyres!

Were they black chilli or not?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is a new MK so I understand?

RQ's with Black Chilli are the ones to go for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yep, just checked it out, the MK 2 is now out. New tread pattern. Very light 2.2 Black Chilli weighs 500g and 2.4 BC 650g. I'm getting some 2.4's to try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mikeal it was the old pattern ust black chilli the side knobs cut sideways through the dirt and give where as rubber queen bite. ps. diesel did the same as well caused me broken sturnum!

mtbr member
    I have older 3c Betties, good in the dry, pish on wet roots and rocks, also clog in the clag. Not a fan

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Should have said that I am running Rubber Queens front and rear UST. Front tyre weighs 880g and a rear tyre weighs 1185g.

pimp - you needed super glooey gooey compound for NE Scotland ! ? !

mtbr member
    Triple compound Big Betties are great in the dry, fast rolling on smooth hardpack hence an excellent dry Glentress tyre. Laggan black in the rain was lethal.

Might try gooie gluey muddy Mary... but tempted to try rubber queens in black chilli.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Have ridden for 9 months Ignitor UST rear and High Roller UST front (both 2.35) and was pretty happy. For this winter I moved the High Roller to the back and got a Minion super tacky UST 2.5 for the front. Mind you this combination was made considering the Greek rocky (wet for a few months only) terrain.

mtbr member
    H'Rollers are awesome tyres, THE most controllable drifting tyre there is. Brilliant for the back but some peeps find drifting the front wheel unnerving (sooo much fun when you get a cheeky two wheel drift on though!).
    For pure front wheel grip the minion is unmatchable, so much so that i had to take the one off the back of the dh bike!
    If you ride mainly trail centres in the uk then in the summer i'd suggest swapping the h'roller on the back to a crossmark as it rolls loads faster and still good under braking.

Super tacky's offer amazing grip on anything gravity wise but for any form of all mountain/xc then they sap your energy big time.

Nevgal's are getting on but still aren't bad tyres tbf.

Gary diesels really were shocking! almost as bad as panracer fire xc's (who ever gave them good reviews in mags needs shooting).

PS have fun putting on and taking off ust maxxis tyres, be prepared for broken tyres levers, cut knuckles and swearing lots and LOTS of swearing!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I run a mix of Maxxis rubber on my Helius.

Ignitor 2.35 LUST (Front) and Ardent 2.25 LUST (Rear) during the Autumn/Spring.
    Minion DHF 2.35 ST (Front) and Minion DHF 2.35 Maxxpro (Rear) in Winter.
    Ardent 2.25 LUST (Front) and Crossmarl 2.25 LUST (Rear) will be my Summer choice.

Although i have been trying out a demo pair of the new Mountain Kings(from the nice man at Madison) for the last few weeks and have been very impressed. They look and feel much like a narrow version of the Rubber Queen. I was using the 2.2 ProTection Black Chilli versions. They roll very well on harder surfaces and gripped well on most rocky stuff i found. Grip on wet roots was okay but they do tend to clog easily in mud but then they aren't mud specific! They actually come up pretty narrow so i would probably recommend going up to 2.4 on the front. As for weights, we had a batch of 5 through and average weight was 621g i believe.

All in all, i preferred my current Minion DHF set-up overall.

Live to ride another day.
    Have to agree about the Mountain King Mk1, they are lethal; however very quick in the dry dusty conditions. For me it's a Fat Albert ust front and Ignitor lust rear, best match i've ever had. Will be using Nobbly Nic ust 3c when the Ignitor's up though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sully43
    Have to agree about the Mountain King Mk1, they are lethal; however very quick in the dry dusty conditions. For me it's a Fat Albert ust front and Ignitor lust rear, best match i've ever had. Will be using Nobbly Nic ust 3c when the Ignitor's up though.
    Nobby Nics are good mud tyres but i found that they struggled in the summer and performance dropped drastically the more they wore down which seemed pretty quick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast