steep fast and loose :)

Helius AM - Shock Choice ?

the CCDB is away being custom-fettled.

I'm also going to buy a new air shock to replace the Monarch 4.2 which I really liked.

Recommendations ?

New Monarch / RP23 / DHX 5.0 Air ?

TIA

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you reaLy liked it why are you buying another?

Opportunity to px...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm using a DHX Air 5.0 Boostvalve on my 2011 AM.

The best air shock i've used but my experience is somewhat limited...Fox air shocks from 2006 onwards!

It seems incredibly plush but that my be down to the new longer shock levers on the AM frame. I'm still playing around with it but for the time being have settled on maximum pressure in the piggy back chamber to give me a very firm platform when climbing or on really smooth trails (my other bike is a hardtail so i prefer a firmer rear when climbing etc.) and flick the Pro-Pedal off for descents or rough trails. I'm getting full travel with-out any harsh bottom out either so the Boost-Valve part may be abit redundant really.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The 'soon to arrive' BOS air shock?

mtbr member
    Custom tune the Monarch. Why start from scratch again if you like it?

Nickegg... I'm glad I've found a dhx user... any more info please ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    What info are you after?

I think the shock is outstanding and seems to offer alot in terms of setting up just the way i like, when i like.

I do think the longer levers make a difference in how plush it feels. As i understand it that was one of the reasons Nicolai made that particular modification for the 2011 frames. Mine has the high volume air can so that also no doubt adds to the plushness. I think that for the riding i do, it offers the best compromise between weight, tuneability and performance. I use my AM for everything so having the ability to turn-on the Pro Pedal for roads or smooth stuff is perfect. I would love to try a coil shock on the AM and may well buy one for my 3 week Alps trip this summer as it would make alot of sense.

Overall, the DHX Air has been fit and forget, which is the best compliment i can give. I'm not one to spend hours faffing around with settings. I was ready to purchase a CCDB for my Helius but work had a brand new DHX lying around (i work in a bike shop) so i thought i'd give it a try....so far so good.I find the Helius suspension set-up so damn capable that i havn't felt the need to make too many adjustments.

interesting nickegg - thanks fpr the feedback.

there was always concerns over the dhx 5.0 air blowing through its stroke - perhaps the revised BV has fixed this characteristic..........?
    Last edited by The_Lecht_Rocks; 01-13-2011 at 11:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    TLR the dhx has the original boost valve that's where they developed it.

edited to "revised"..... my bad....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The DHX certainly feels very linear through the stroke compared to any other air shock i've tried in the past. That may well be down to the Boostvalve or just the characteristics of the AM's suspension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was using the DahX 5.0 air, new one. I did find it blew through the stroke and the pro pedal didn't do much, it was either hard or soft for me. Switched to CCDB, my first coil, and I'm in a world of heaven in terms of grip, full use of travel without sloppy pedalling characteristics. In fact the biggest compliment I can make is I don't notice it at all, but you probably know that.

Anyway, my experience of the DHX air wasn't very good. old 160 travel levers here.

My mates DT Swiss (300?) seems very very nice on his Pace RC504,

mtbr member
    I swapped the dhx 5 air on my FR to a CCDB and TLR i really wouldn't go the other way. Big improvement so think you'd find the opposite