Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I overheat. It is a nuisance to keep clean. It is heavy. It is not needed for a couple hour long ride.
    You used to be able to get small ones, you prob still can. I've got a 1.5 litre one.
    All you do to keep it clean is rinse and chuck in the freezer, job done.
    Easier to drink from too

    Poor excuses when the alternative is different bike/shock??

  2. #27
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyzeus View Post
    You used to be able to get small ones, you prob still can. I've got a 1.5 litre one.
    All you do to keep it clean is rinse and chuck in the freezer, job done.
    Easier to drink from too
    No, it is not. It is a hassle and a nuisance and a bottle gets the job done. It has weight sitting high and exacerbates stress on your back and shoulder straps interfere with breathing. Maybe you enjoy sweaty, clammy, chafed back and shoulders - I do not. I have more fun riding without it.

    I do own two backpacks that had been sold with a hydration system - larger Ultimate Direction and a smaller Salomon running. Deuter Attack with back protector also fits it. They are very nice packs - use them on hikes and running, as there are no other option to carry stuff, but still remove that hose thing and just carry a Platypus bottle and a smaller bottle in a waist pocket.

    Quote Originally Posted by Holyzeus View Post
    Poor excuses when the alternative is different bike/shock??
    I would rather get a different shock than a heatstroke and mucking around with freezing bags and sucking on a hose.

    Even if I wear a pack - long trip, or my pack with a build in back protector, I would put water in a soft Platypus pouch, and refill a frame mounted bottle on stops.
    Last edited by Axe; 06-09-2012 at 12:05 PM.

  3. #28
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,550
    Bzzt. Got a sideloading Specialized Zee bottle cage. Still no go. But it would work with Vector Air HLR.

    I am surprised the dogbone touches the air can. It is such a minor fix, millimeter at the most, they should have tested for it - and they promote CCDBA.

    Here is one picture I saw when deciding - but now I see it is at the second travel position (which clears)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Axe; 06-09-2012 at 01:48 PM.

  4. #29
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Bzzt. Got a sideloading Specialized Zee bottle cage. Still no go. But it would work with Vector Air HLR.

    I am surprised the dogbone touches the air can. It is such a minor fix, millimeter at the most, they should have tested for it - and they promote CCDBA.

    Here is one picture I saw when deciding - but now I see it is at the second travel position (which clears)




    I'm not sure. I think you will hit the piggyback. Even with a sideloading bottle, that'd be a tad difficult. The Vector has a looooong piggy.

    I'd say a small camelbak will suit you. Something small in the capacity of your bottle. Just don't overdo the thing and start doing like many of us who pack stuff that we even don't need.

    It will be one less thing to think about when riding. The bottle will use "processor" power on a frame with a piggyback shock.

    It's your call, but I think you'll be happier with a small 'bak.
    Check my Site

  5. #30
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I'd say a small camelbak will suit you. Something small in the capacity of your bottle. Just don't overdo the thing and start doing like many of us who pack stuff that we even don't need.

    It will be one less thing to think about when riding. The bottle will use "processor" power on a frame with a piggyback shock.

    It's your call, but I think you'll be happier with a small 'bak.
    I am very sure I will not be happier with a pack. Tried many times.

    I have ordered a short toolkit bottle to use in that location when shock is at full travel. It fits with a Zee cage. I often carry spare tube and stuff in my jersey rear pocket. I got a flat flask style bottle - about 200ml that I can put into that pocket, and can carry a refill on the bottom mount (with cap over the top - so as not to get contaminated with feces spraying from the front wheel.)

    For longer rides I will flip it to 150mm setting anyway. Then a normal bottle fits.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    637
    Not sure if this helps your situation, but Adam Craig's mechanic made a shim to offset the bottlecage on his Trance-X to make room for the coil shock: Gallery: Pro Bike: Adam Craig’s Giant Trance X Advanced SL - BikeRadar
    Seems like you could do the same thing to move the cage back closer to the seat tube.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    205
    How did this work out Axe? Would love to see a picture of your final setup.

  8. #33
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    How did this work out Axe? Would love to see a picture of your final setup.
    It is back in its frame form at this moment, and kit went back onto Coiler, which I will either sell or keep as a beater/park/friend loaner bike.

    But, the good news is that I finally decided on how I want it run for the next few years, and it is not 650b. As I have several bikes, I want one to be a bit longer legged, and Helius AM will be it. So I do not want to limit travel and compromise geometry.

    I have ordered Lyrik Coil DH 170mm with 1.5" steerer - will fit it with zero stack Orbit E headset to keep height the same as with 160mm fork. Got a bunch of other bits - but can't pull the trigger on a fancier wheelset. Will roll with Nukeproof AM (MTX 29 rims) for now. Got XT brakes, will reuse XTR crankset with 23-34-bash, SIXC handlebars, Gravity light 1.5" stem, will share seatpost with my Rotwild, and wait on availability and durability reports on the new Thomson (or just get Gravity Dropper).. Should set it up fairly soon, but not in a rush - rain and ski season.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    i am considering to move to the Helius AM; i have a dubt about the right size and i need your help: i am 174cm tall. normal bodytype construction....i think i am in the between of the Small size and thef Mediun size....what do oyou think about ??...thanks

  10. #35
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by pescecane View Post
    i am considering to move to the Helius AM; i have a dubt about the right size and i need your help: i am 174cm tall. normal bodytype construction....i think i am in the between of the Small size and thef Mediun size....what do oyou think about ??...thanks
    Medium. I am 174cm, fits great (50mm stem, straight seatpost)

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    53
    do you have no problem with the seat tube??..it is almost a 18" and it seems to be a little too long...

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by pescecane View Post
    do you have no problem with the seat tube??..it is almost a 18" and it seems to be a little too long...
    That is very easily fixed. When you order the frame, for a small additional charge you can specify to have the seat tube cut down to just just above the juncture with the top tube. That would make it about 15" or the same length as on a small size frame. Personally I prefer the aesthetics of this as well.

  13. #38
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by pescecane View Post
    do you have no problem with the seat tube??..it is almost a 18" and it seems to be a little too long...
    Seems fine, and I am not long legged. Enough space for an adjustable seatpost. I guess you would need to measure your existing bike.

    My medium TransAm also has 18", and my medium Rotwild R.C1 FS 120 is almost 19" (480mm) to the top of the seattube. Both also fit well. My Motobecane Fly ti hardtail i also 18" and it fits me a bit small - short top tube. I think the only limitation would be requirements on an adjustable post if you want to use longer drop. Measure.

    In any case - 22.25" top tube on size small is way too small for somebody 5'8" IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    That is very easily fixed. When you order the frame, for a small additional charge you can specify to have the seat tube cut down to just just above the juncture with the top tube. That would make it about 15" or the same length as on a small size frame. Personally I prefer the aesthetics of this as well.
    Beware that that may not work with many adjustable posts - they would need some minimal insertion length. And with regular post you would be looking at 400mm+. He really should measure his full extension, and compare with requirements for seatposts he would use.
    Last edited by Axe; 02-01-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •