Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,271

    Helius AM + Fox 2011 TALAS 180mm ?

    realistic proposition ?
    thinking of running the TALAS in 140mm mode on trail, with the odd foray into 180mm mode for DH and mega-trails.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    realistic proposition ?
    thinking of running the TALAS in 140mm mode on trail, with the odd foray into 180mm mode for DH and mega-trails.
    Ask me next week, though I've gone for the floats

  3. #3
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,271
    float 180's ?

    if so, hope you've got the 174mm rear shock option [on mine @ 57mm stroker]

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    647
    I have it all custom. Though I will probably have a lighter set of forks for everyday running as you don't really need 180mm in south of england, but aways usefull fr the mega.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    I have it all custom. Though I will probably have a lighter set of forks for everyday running as you don't really need 180mm in south of england, but aways usefull fr the mega.
    The float 180's are internally adjustable in 10mm increments so could just run them in 160, 170 mode and then quick little internal fiddle when ya need the full travel, thats what im planning with my FR anyway.

    do you not think they'll be too much of a fork for the AM though? its designed as a 160 trail bike adding and extra 20mm to the front is gonna mess around with head angle, bb height etc etc?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    647
    We will see, I'm not a small or light bloke, it's only 20mm more a to c then 160, i plan to run a 150mm fork like a rev of a 32 float for the more day to day trial use. but since my dh bike has been nicked i wanted the longer fork for dh use and alps use.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    We will see, I'm not a small or light bloke, it's only 20mm more a to c then 160, i plan to run a 150mm fork like a rev of a 32 float for the more day to day trial use. but since my dh bike has been nicked i wanted the longer fork for dh use and alps use.
    personally then id just go for 160 floats which would suite the bike and be light and perfect for trail bigger stuff, then if ya wanna go huge or just want a pair of forks to bank in couple of times a year get some totem coils cheep off ebay.

    Also my condolences about havin ya bike nicked dude, i have had 2 robbed the scum need shooting! did ya have insurance? mine paid out which paid for my trek session 88 (although premier sucks now)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    647
    The insurnce are still deciding, I'm too heavy for the totem coils, the spring isn't stiff enough.

    If i still had my dh bike I would of gone for the 160, but alas, when I replace the dh bike I can always get a 160 float.

  9. #9
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    The float 180's are internally adjustable in 10mm increments so could just run them in 160, 170 mode and then quick little internal fiddle when ya need the full travel, thats what im planning with my FR anyway.

    do you not think they'll be too much of a fork for the AM though? its designed as a 160 trail bike adding and extra 20mm to the front is gonna mess around with head angle, bb height etc etc?

    my AM runs 174mm of rear travel, thanks

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    The insurnce are still deciding, I'm too heavy for the totem coils, the spring isn't stiff enough.

    If i still had my dh bike I would of gone for the 160, but alas, when I replace the dh bike I can always get a 160 float.
    then just i'd wait to hear from insurance, no point in compromising the am when you might be shopping for a shiny new dh bike soon

    what dh bike did you have? and where did it get piked from?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    my AM runs 174mm of rear travel, thanks
    how come ya added another 14mm to an AM instead of getting an FR?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    647
    Had a nicolai st, can't wait because I'm doing the mega so need it for them. It doesn't really bother me, like I said for the riding around here, a lightweight set of 150 forks will be more suited to the riding avaliable.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    Had a nicolai st, can't wait because I'm doing the mega so need it for them. It doesn't really bother me, like I said for the riding around here, a lightweight set of 150 forks will be more suited to the riding avaliable.
    if ya swapping between 180 and 150mm forks what travel shock are you running out back?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    if ya swapping between 180 and 150mm forks what travel shock are you running out back?
    Fox float for the time being. Just bought a coil dhx but i managed to buy the wrong size

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    Fox float for the time being. Just bought a coil dhx but i managed to buy the wrong size
    wounded!!!

  16. #16
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    how come ya added another 14mm to an AM instead of getting an FR?
    i had one of the first AM's in the UK.
    there was initial confusion about shock stroke requirements.
    i was advised 57mm was required [x 200 i2i].
    i bought the CCDB in 200 x 57.
    we then learned this gave 174mm of travel.


    et voila !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •