Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    steep fast and loose :)

Helius AM - First ride report......

...coming soon....

mtbr member
    boring!!

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Might be an idea to post when you can add some content

I'll also add some info to this after tonight's night ride and tomorrow's day ride

it's bloody stable
    it's also very stiff laterally. the wheelbase 'feels' long, and as such it's very stable in the turns.
    the damping is exceptional. hardly need lockout (i'm also a fervent hardtail rider).
    geometrically, with the TALAS at full extension (A2C = 545mm) it feels bombproof. not too slack and not too sharp.
    the head angle is blob on for manuals and drop approaches, just lipping off is SO easy.
    difficult to suggest the monarch is any better daamped than the rp23, but without doubt, the monarch has a far wider span for damping adjustment than the 2009 fox. from ridiculously slow to ridiculously fast, the rebound is so adjustable, i'm amazed fox remain so determined to provide so little span.
    the floodgate is also impresssive in its operation. i'm very impressed.
    stack height also needs to be adjusted once i get more miles in, as i'm really fussy about bar position and feel.
    to summarise after just a few hours riding, i'd repeat that it's simply very stable and geometrically spot on for trails i usually ride. i need to sell on the MOTO V2's now for the new M4's from Hope.
    it weighs in (accurately) at 30.6lbs inc pedals. i'm amazed actually, as i thought 32lbs was more realistic. i've a couple of weight saving tricks coming up, so i'm now looking to get sub 30lb without sacrificing strength or rideability.

couple of sh1t photo's, for reference as it'll never look this clean again :

banned
    You want to sell your V2's for M4's?

mtbr member
    never mind trying to get it sub 30lb. wash of the crap to get it back to 30.6 would be a start!

jerky - no - i want the Tech M4 (new M4's)...

banned
    Ahhh, what are the V2's going on?

You'll love the Tech levers.

possibly nowt at the moment - want to buy them then ? pm me.
    not sure if i made it obvious above, but the action of the linkage under load is so linear for 85% of the stroke and stable, that to keep it trail capable, i'm running sag at about 25% (~195psi in the monarch) and there is ramp up at the end of the stroke. not a problem, as it's a trail riding bike, not a DH'er of FR'er and as such benefits from the slight rising rate at the stroke end.

mtbr member
    Very nice TLR. BUT ....be a man, take the mud on the chin and get rid of that eyesore crud catcher

crud mounts cost me 22 , so i'll be using them

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yetiman why eat mud for the sake beauty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi TLR why change from V2's to Tech M4's modulation? weight?

the Tech M4's will be more than enough for the AM.
    V2's are crazily powerful for 98% of my riding time.
    i run mono m4's on my hardtails (203 front 180 rear) and they're just dandy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Finished for now!

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I'm sticking with the moto V2's on mine very happy with them over the weekend. I've still not decided to go for an adjustable seatpost or not cant make up my mind.

I feel the weight of mine is more than light enought at 31lb i'd actually be happy to go 1lb heavier if required as it rides so light! The RP23 is also working a treat very happy again and the Floats are just amazing, the first 30% is so damn plush for an air fork.

The AM rides AMAZING uphill i just cant beleive how light it rides if that makes sense, it rides uphill like a 20lb hardtail just stunning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Totally agree to riding up hill it is a revelation and I've just come from a 24lb (at its lightest) full sus cross country bike, the AM is far faster.

mtbr member
    Fwwwwwwwwar Garry AM thats a lovely looking machine.. love the blue red and silver decals

What cables u running there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Karve thanks, the cables are Gore Ride-On the sealed version they're only slightly more difficult to fit than standard but then you NEVER need to lube or adjust them. They reduce the force needed on the shifters by about half so makes gear changes very crisp.

I had a set on a Pine Mountain for 8yrs and never changed them. They stopped making them about 10 yrs ago but have just started again due to popular demand.

meow, meow.
    By the way, it looks like the sealed type Ride-On isn't compatible with SRAM rear derailers? How do you fit the grub seal on a SRAM?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Gary AM,

I have a bike in the same colour......intersested to know where you get the matching chain stay protector? Thanks.

wyrd bi ful rd
    GAM that is a lovely ride ... great combo with the fork colours

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the compliments guys, Ryates I got the Lizard skin protector from Chain Reaction it is Super Jumbo size out of interest and colour is called baby blue.

JRP I don't understand why the grub seal wont work on SRAM it just goes over the inner liner then sits over the first bit of exposed cable, by the way I didn't fit this on my really old set and they still lasted all those years.

meow, meow.
    Garry AM, okay, I'll give that housing another try... I was confused because the grub seal is a longish piece, and on my X0 and X9 there is very little space between the housing stop (the one on derailer body) and the plastic part (one attached to the inner link of the parallelogram) where the cable takes a bend just before being connected to derailer with the bolt.

From what you said, I take it that one should run inner liner slightly past the housing stop and put the grub seal on it. Then just let the seal be squeezed between the plastic part and the housing stop. The maximum squeeze will result when the derailer is in the lowest gear. The part of inner liner protruding past the housing stop should be short enough to give the squeezed seal as much room as possible over the exposed part of the cable. Is that correct?

Im' sorry for being this wordy, but fuzzy little arrangements like this one seem to produce the most confusion with me.

And yes, it's a nice Helius you've got! Even the seatpost is matched with the fork stanchions (both being tubular pieces pointing in roughly the same direction). One warning; you may soon find out that Mountain King UST wears too fast on the rear wheel (mine did, however it was a 2.2". It only took 2 weeks from new before I replaced it with a used but trusty 70a Maxxis Crossmark LUST).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You grasped it, JRP but on the tyre front I'll se what it does I've got a pair of 2.35 LUST high rollers in tacky compound on order ready for the summer so as long as they last till then!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast