Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Helius AM

mtbr member
    May 2006

Helius AM

Hey guy's haven;t been around on the forum for awile. I just ordered a AM to see what it is all about. This bike is between the CC and the FR. The AM is going to have adjustable travel. The travel setting is going to be (120 4.9 )(135 5.3 )(145 5.7 5.8 )(167 6.6 )which i think are great travel setting. This bike is giong to be a everything bike. I alway's felt that if the cc had a little more it would be the bike of all bikes. That what i hope the AM is going to be. We have been talking with nicolai alot to try to get more bikes here and hopefully it will work. I do have to say the FR is the best bike i have ever been . It is so stable climbing and decending and dropping. But like everything in life you get older and need a little less and that what the AM was geared towards . I will post pictures of the bike when it comes in and a review of the bike. cheers.

mtbr member
    Awesome.. what spec and options / color have you gone for?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just going to keep it simple black anodized.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ncig, I see that some AM builds are coming out as heavy as an FR. My older 05 FR weighs 32lb with CCDB. The way I see it, an AM build should come out 30lb or less, otherwise why bother? Like to know your spec.?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am hoping that it comes in less then 30 pounds here is the build.

MED frame
    XTR CRANKS
    ROCKSHOCK PIKE FORK
    CCDB TI SPRING
    I9 ENDURO WHEELS
    XO SHIFTERS
    X9 RDER
    THOMPSON X4 STEM

local trails rider
    The older FR frame was lighter than the beefed up '08 ... so Nicolai needed something to close the gap between CC and the current FR. The result (AM) looks good.

banned
    Is this one going to hit the classifieds as well, after months of riding, of course being advertised as new like your last one?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    As alway's you don't have your fact right! Do me a favor if you don't have anything worth saying don't say it.

banned
    We all saw the ad and commented on the used Nicolai you sold to someone as new.

Anyhow, good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    First off are you talking about the white Knolly we sold for CF? Because we have yet to sell any Nicolai on the mtbr. If CF CC sells that would be the first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncig
    I am hoping that it comes in less then 30 pounds here is the build.

MED frame
    XTR CRANKS
    ROCKSHOCK PIKE FORK
    CCDB TI SPRING
    I9 ENDURO WHEELS
    XO SHIFTERS
    X9 RDER
    THOMPSON X4 STEM
    I would look at different forks, the Pike damping system is not very sophisticated. It can be set for small stuff or big stuff... not both, and even when set for big stuff they can be easily overwhelmed and end up blowing through the travel and going clunk-clunk-clunk as they bounce between bottom out and top out. Feels and sounds horrible on the trail

Very light though... but if all your worried about is the weight of the thing why not take the internals out out of your forks? That way you can post pictures and boast about the weight of the bike on internet forums without worrying about how it rides

*pinch of salt*

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was wondering about the choosen fork myself, on the other hand a proper AM/Enduro air fork with 160mm (Fox Talas, Lyrik 2-Step) is almost twice the price of a Pike air in retail. At least that's how it is here in Germany. Magura's Wotan would come in bit cheaper though.

Anyway, I'm looking very much forward seeing that build !!!

local trails rider
    Which rear travel setting do you plan to use?
    Does that affect BB height and/or frame angles?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I will be set up at the 145mm travel. This bike will be set up as a true AM bike. I am considering the lyrik. not sure yet

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi ncig, have you considered the DT Swiss 150 with bolt-through. My dealer says that his customers love them; and they are very light! Does anybody have reports on them?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No but i will look into it sounds good. Thanks ryates

steep fast and loose :)
    DT Swiss - a'la PACE.
    I used to run the PACE equivalent RC41 Fighter on a Cove Hustler. Great fork, sh1tr reliability, and I'll be surprised if DT have amended the reliability as it's based on the PACE internals / modular design. although, i have no evidence on which to base this opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the heads up on the fork it is also very expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Same here on DT / Pace - ran an RC40 on numerous bikes - back to the factory 3 times!!
    Also had problems with Wotans which have now gone back to Magura -apparently this is more widespread than reported.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have to say I like the Wotans and they have performed really well on my FR. Because I neglected to clean under the seals, they did get gummed-up after 10 months. I sent them back to Magura UK and they serviced them and updated them with the latest damping and applied the new look decals, and did not charge a penny. How's that for service? When I got them back, they needed running in over about 6 rides. They also told me how to lower the legs in order to get out the seals to clean. This needs to be done periodically depending on how much riding/weather conditions you do.

ಠ_ಠ
    I will be set up at the 145mm travel. This bike will be set up as a true AM bike. I am considering the lyrik. not sure yet
    I have a Lyrik SoloAir set to 140mm using spacers. It was only ~100g heavier than my PIKE air u-turn.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do you like it

ಠ_ಠ
    Do you like it
    Yea, it's sweet. Pike was sweet as well. They're definitely not the same though. The Lyrik ramps up more, and does feel a bit more solid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Glad you had a better experience than me. Mine went back to Magura UK after ~5hrs riding as the travel adjust stopped working. Same happened again about 10hrs later, a week before a 2 week trip to Scotland and the Lakes. Got them back just in time to find (a) they'd forgotten to reattatch the compression adjust knob, and (b) they didn't hold any air (you could hear it hissing out). After a significant amount of pressure, the rep did try and sort me out with a brand new pair, but I decided against it and bought a pair of Lyric Coils, which I prefer anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks guys for the info i am also thinking of the marz 55 ata but i am hearing good and bad.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast