mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Helius AM 2012 - dies an Update to a Rohloff speedhub makes sense?

Hi all,

Since February I own a Nicolai Helios AM and mainly use it for enduro,
    I use a fox talas 2012 36 with 160mm and a dhx air 5.0 160mm.
    At the moment I ride X0 setup and at the moment I think if a speedhub would make sense as an upgrade.
    Does anyone here has some experience with the speedhub in the helium am?
    I would like to know how the extra weight in the rear will affect the performance of the frame.
    I think the extra weight could be 900 grams and this could have some negative affects for bunny hops, drops, ...

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't. I've tried two bikes with Rohloff's out the back and didn't get on with either of them due to the weight distribution changing the "feel"... and the additional pinch flats where a pain and not something you would want if racing Enduro.

For an Enduro upgrade think about XX1 or Hammerschmidt... or start saving for a Pinion

Distributor
    I've ridden Rohloff on my Helius CC and AC for many years. It does add weight (especially over something like an XO geartrain) but the adjustment is easy to make - drops and bunny hops are not any more of a problem than they are for me on any other bike.

Pinchflats did seem more common but I've got smoother and now run tubeless so haven't had a problem for some years.

My view has always been that Rohloff is not preferable to a new, clean, conventional drivetrain. However, you don't have one of those for long. The Rohloff's have been almost maintenance free for years with much lower running costs, reliable shifting regardless of age or weather conditions, and no concern about damaging expensive mechs in crashes. Rohloff hubs also have a high second hand value - whatever their age they seem to be worth about half the original cost, whereas second hand conventional kit is near enough worthless.

HOWEVER, I'm replacing my Rohloff AC with a Pinion AC. Of course this means a completely new frame but the Pinion should solve a lot of the disadvantages of the Rohloff, with the low and central weight giving a better balance, a light back wheel (with no mech or cassette potentially almost 500g less than a conventional wheel). Total bike weight expected to be slightly more than with a Rohloff though.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com