mtbr member

Helius AM 1.5 Headtube

Just a quick question for you knowledgable people...

What size headset is needed for the 1.5" headtube on the AM frame 44mm or 49mm?

I am looking at a zero stack reducer headset to run a 1.1/8th steerer.

Thanks

mtbr member
    see here

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit...p=2&lastStep=1

be careful fitting a zero stack to the lower race as you might find your crown clashes with your downtube.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    see here

http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit...p=2&lastStep=1

be careful fitting a zero stack to the lower race as you might find your crown clashes with your downtube.
    Thanks seems it is going to be a 49mm, I have heard there are some issues with the crown and down tube but I may have to live with it as my steerer is to short not to run a zero stack!

mtbr member
    be cheaper to buy a new steerer than a new frame which is what you'll have to do if you fall off and the crown twats the DT!

just how short is your steerer? you should get away with @ 170mm with just the flush mount top cup
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    be cheaper to buy a new steerer than a new frame which is what you'll have to do if you fall off and the crown twats the DT!

just how short is your steerer? you should get away with @ 170mm with just the flush mount top cup
    Steerer is 185mm I plan to take my forks in and check them on a frame at moonglu. The fork is a lyrik coil. I thought the problem was more the adjustment levers colliding than the actual crown?? If it is the levers these are very low on the lyrik anyway as it only has compression adjust.

Can anyone clarify this?

mtbr member
    you can get the adjusters touching the frame with a 'normal' headset in a 1 18th steerer. cant clarify if this will be the case with 1.5 and a flush mount headset but a 185mm should be enough to run an external lower cup
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    you can get the adjusters touching the frame with a 'normal' headset in a 1 18th steerer. cant clarify if this will be the case with 1.5 and a flush mount headset but a 185mm should be enough to run an external lower cup
    Ok well I will have to have a look into this then, the headset I wanted was the Acros AI-25 I will have to see if there is one with a lower cup and also whether you can get a mixed headset.

Was hoping someone on here might be running a 1.5" headtube with zero stack headset.
    Last edited by ichabod crane; 01-21-2011 at 09:25 AM.

chilliinleeds
    Jun 2010
    I run a Hope 1.5 to 11/8 reducer headset, my steerer is 185mm and it fits perfectly top cup is near as flush but bottom cup extends about 10mm which gives me enough clearance,i run a fox 36 and have no top tube clearance probs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chillijo1
    I run a Hope 1.5 to 11/8 reducer headset, my steerer is 185mm and it fits perfectly top cup is near as flush but bottom cup extends about 10mm which gives me enough clearance,i run a fox 36 and have no top tube clearance probs.
    Got any pictures please?

chilliinleeds
    Jun 2010

Lovely new Toy! by paul winterbottom, on Flickr
    Not the best view of the headtube,but you can see it's pretty flush on top and just about see that the bottom cup extends a bit. I like to keep my front end pretty low and i'm happy with this set up!

mtbr member
    I was more hoping a pic of the headtube

chilliinleeds
    Jun 2010
    I'll take a pic in the morning and post it up then for ya!

mtbr member
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Are you using one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=18085

Also the lower cup on the Acros AI-25 is 7.5mm would this be enough?
    Last edited by ichabod crane; 01-21-2011 at 10:36 AM.

chilliinleeds
    Jun 2010
    Hi, it is the same headset as the one in your link, I've been impressed with it and it's all serviceable.

P1010941 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/chillispic
    Not sure about the acros headset,my adjusters are pretty close to the frame but thats on a fox van. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that, it is all a bit clearer now going to see what Acros can do for me on a headset.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=chillijo1]Hi, it is the same headset as the one in your link, I've been impressed with it and it's all serviceable.

P1010941 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/chillispic
    Not sure about the acros headset,my adjusters are pretty close to the frame but thats on a fox van. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I ran the same hope headset on my FR for a short while as my fork steerer wasnt long enough to fit with the fett reducer i ordered with the frame.

*please note though that you dont have the minimum insertion on the lower cup for warranty*
    hence ended up just buying a longer steerer crown assembly for my forks.

Plan to get new forks with taper steerer now though as have a reset racing reducer headset. The lower cup has the correct insertion and isnt that big, the top cup is zero stack which gives best of both worlds in my opinion.