mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Helius AC29e Experience

Thought I'd set up a thread to share my experiences with this bike now its finished and I've played around with stuff and ridden it alot.

Here are some pictures. It's been a muddy mess for so long but I have a big event this weekend in Wales and needed to check it all over and add some protection so it's clean(ish)

Helius AC29e Experience-p1010994.jpg

Helius AC29e Experience-p1010995.jpg

Helius AC29e Experience-p1010996.jpg

Helius AC29e Experience-p1010997.jpg

Helius AC29e Experience-p1010998.jpg
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    and some more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helius AC29e Experience-p1010999.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020001.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020002.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020003.jpg  

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    and a few more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helius AC29e Experience-p1020006.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020007.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020008.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020010.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020011.jpg  

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    last few of the none riding shots...Shame I never seem to be taking pictures when we get light like Cyril in the South of France!

We had an ice storm today, golf ball sized hail, car windscreens, skylights, conservatory roofs smashed, flooding, unbelievable, all whilst it was 20deg C. and June...wather has gone mad.

Those are 2.0 mud tyres on it as its has been one big slither fest for over a month here..
    I was running Ardent 2.4's before that.

Its all pretty standard stuff really if kinda carefully chosen..
    Weight 27lb with pedals with those tyres, 28lb with the Ardents
    Fox F34 140 Float forks
    Fox 216x63 RP23 CTD rear shock with -7mm front mount
    Magura Storm SL 203/180 rotors
    Straightline SG chain device
    standard xtr rear mech on a Sram XX cassette, KMC SL chain
    760mm Havoc Bars with Ozrider grips on a 50mm Thomson
    Enve AM rims laced to Chris King Hubs with CX ray spokes, tubeless setup.
    Saevid S1.2 Carbon saddle
    Cane Creek Angleset

Current setup is 66.9deg HA. I've used it with 67.5 and 68 and all are good. 68 climbs better, is more responsive in the tight stuff and descents great.
    66.9 is still good, a little slower to react as you'd expect but is a monster downhill, again no surprise there really. The surprise is how quickly I got used to 66.9 and how it doesn't really feel slow to steer. I wouldn't want it any slacker though.
    I have a feeling I'll run 67.5 most of the time for what I ride.

The new CTD rear shock matches brilliantly with the F34 front which is by far the best Fox I've ever used, on a par with the BOS Devilles easily, which was a big surprise. I was expecting to have to get the fork tuned straight away.

Basically I'm just lobving it. It's exceeded my expectations by a margin, can't say more really.

Thanks to Whafe and Cyril for the inspiration and learning and Chris Thomas at Nicolai for sticking with me during our 3 figure e-mail tally!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helius AC29e Experience-p1020017.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020016.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020014.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020013.jpg  

Helius AC29e Experience-p1020012.jpg  

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That is an amazing build and bike,congratulations on it.

what are the magura brakes like??

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ah, They're M988 trail xtr brakes but on Magura Storm SL rotors. The Magura rotors are amongst the lightest out there but they are solid and 2mm thick so very strong and not too cut out that they pulse.

In the end I decided I did want the initial bite and low lever pressure of the Shimano brake for Enduro. They are plenty powerful, especially with the big discs but most important do deliver on light finger pressure for alot of braking early in the lever stroke to limit arm pump on long descents.

And thanks..

On your other question Sam, a little birdy mentioned this bike is likely to go into production, probably with tidied up seat tube/BB area (Although I quite like it, but imagine a lighter, neater Ion style BB, it means Nic need to create some new tooling which they weren't going to for the 3-4 variants built so far) 142 rear dropouts, 44/56 headtube for a slightly lower front (again they have to tool up to make the HT), Geo like this one as its very adaptable.

The biggest compliment I can pay to this bike is it feels completely normal. it neither looks nor feels like it has big wheels. It has the advantages, and some of the disadvantages of course, but not very many people have noticed its a big wheeler, the odd double take...

It has delivered what I wanted, in this guise its 147mm rear travel but pedals like a 120mm bike. It really does pedal amazingly well, as good as the standard AC29 with that CTD rear shock, set to trail and '2' compression tune but it retains its small bump and sensitivity. It has a very low leverage ratio .
    I wanted a bike that pedalled really well but could descend like my AM, boom, got it.

All we need now are some dry trails...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the write up.

142x12 is the way to go,and i will agree that inset headset top and bottom is also a good move.
    definetely be worth waiting for.lol

650b is the way for me.

That is one stunning bike though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Its all pretty standard stuff really if kinda carefully chosen..
    Did he just call a Nicolai with XTR, CK, and ENVE rims "standard stuff"?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey Midgetman, maybe I'm getting used to the builds on here. I guess I meant not as custom/bespoke/niche as my RC had to be. I should have said, off the shelf kind of stuff. The wheels are a little bit special ;-) Whafe was right.

I might be able to join you in late July in the Lakes. Let me know your plans/schedule.

Right off to ride it some more..just sen the route profile for the event I'm riding. 160km, 4000m climbing...ho hum, I'll be sore on Monday..can you say carbon saddle ;-)
    Aka chainline...

"Its All Good"
    Stunning bike and fantastic write up....

And to those that think I am saying stunning bike because it is a 29er, you are wring. Yep, I love 29ers, but am not on a crusade to change the world. Just happen to really love the way in which they ride...

the_pilot, that is a substantial event, great work.. 100 miles is decent, dam it is...

And dam straight those Enve rims are special... The spin hard out....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Whether in the UK has been so bad lately...this weekend was actually ok weather, but because of all the rain before the ground conditions were very difficult. Even my mud tyres were struggling.

I was sweeper for the event, looking after people fixing stuff(and people). In the end I only made day one in that role as I was so knackered and stiff. 60 miles took 9hrs 29min when I brought the last guy home. some people really under estimated how long it is with 2000m of climbing in muddy conditions!

The difficulty was even descending they were nervous so I was at walking speed down the supposed fun bits. It gave me arm cramps as I was on the brakes all the way.

Anyways, I still enjoyed it and could have ridden the second day but I just didn't want another 9 hrs on the hill at that speed. I really struggled 1x10 because the people at the back were all slowly grinding out a granny gear. You can't leave them when you're the sweeper so 40rpm and massive quad burn...well, I just got off and walked, it was faster!

Bike was faultless, very comfortable, the wheels are amazing in rocks, they just hold their line!

I think I will get a lighter set of 120mm German:A forks and some lighter pedals for these rides in future. I'm carrying so much kit to keep everyone else going, even 600g off the bike would be helpfull.

Bike kinda slipped under the radar mostly, a few eagle eyed people spotted it but not many amongst all the carbon bling on show, it just did its job in an awesome way, I'm happy with that.
    Last edited by the_pilot; 07-02-2012 at 06:27 AM.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    That is a beauty of a build, I keep looking back at it.

mtbr member
    Pimp, there's one exactly the same far closer to home you can look at!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    Pimp, there's one exactly the same far closer to home you can look at!
    Could be dangerous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah View Post
    Could be dangerous.
    Why look when i am sure you can Blag a ride.lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It is dangerous to try...ask Dipper..
    Aka chainline...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Midgetman View Post
    Did he just call a Nicolai with XTR, CK, and ENVE rims "standard stuff"?
    My thoughts exactly

We've gone that far that you just can't impress people with wheels worth of 2K USD.

I'm just jealous... that thing is a beauty.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry guys! It's all the other pimp kit that gets posted on here. The bike just feel's so generally sorted and effective and looks very understated/stealth I do forget there is some nice stuff on it.

I'm waiting for some pics of Dippers 'version' (The frame Nicolai made with a different head tube to the one I specified) now he's finished the build..
    Aka chainline...