Thread: Headset

mtbr member
    May 2008

Headset

Apologies for not using the search function but im short on time on the net

Cup insertion, in terms of warranty for the AM is 22mm for the bottom cup and 12mm for the top cup ok?

Cheers

wpuk

mtbr member
    Reset fitted headset from factory came with 22mm lower cup and 12mm top.

HTH

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Many thanks, helps a lot, 22mm both end in the colour I'm after are on back order for 6 weeks

Cheers

wpuk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    118HDAL then ?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yep

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ......always thought crown races were generic, anyone know if a hope one will fit a reset headset?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    http://www.reset-racing.de/reset/res...Manual_118.pdf

Anyone able to say whether item M in the link above is the crown race?

Edit: Ive tried google translate and its not really cleared it up for me

mtbr member
    Yes it is.
    L = Lower shell.
    J = Upper bearing seal.
    I = Bearing.
    H = Lower bearing seal.
    M = Crown race.

Are you getting one direct from reset? If so could you report back cost and delivery.

cheers.

mtbr member
    Also, once assembled, it's entirely normal for the bearing to make a tight fit to the race. Often when you drop the forks out the bearing will stay on the steerer/race.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cheers rpm, also had a quick reply from Reset as well

Hello Wayne,

thank you for your request.

Part 17 is the crown race. Please note: Large diameter of Part 17 must face to fork crown.

Best regards
    Originally when i enquired with Reset i mentioned the HDAL2 which were out of stock, after asking a few more questions on here found the HDAL is what gets fitted when you get it done via Nicolai,

With Reset being out of stock i was also hitting up German online sites and got good comms of one that mentioned they had the HDAL instock (bigmountaincycles.de) The headset cost 159 euro and 10 euro postage, little glitch with there site in that it didnt ask for postage when i went through paypal, but once that was sorted it only took 3 days to get to me (payed Monday, had it in hand Wednesday (UK))

Would have happily ordered from Reset direct though, they have great comms as well

if you scroll to the bottom of the Kontact/AGB link it mentions foregn shipping on request, i would imagine it would be the same as bigmountaincycles.de at 10 Euro. For the HDAL Reset also quote 159 Euro

Let me know if you need anymore info, ill help if i can

mtbr member
    May 2008
    .....nothing is ever simple

Anyone ever fitted a Reset headset, to do it properly looks like you need a special set of protectors......smashing

Two ways I'm looking at it, I can prise the seals out and pop the bearings out so I can use my headset press, or I can pop a cm of tubing on to sit on the edge and then use the press, any recommendations please

mtbr member
    Wayne, I've got some ck ones that should work(as long as it sits on the outer rim of the cup). You're welcome to a shot
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cheers dips. If i cant get it sorted over the weekend ill give you a bell, would really like to get it sorted tomorrow so i can get out on the bike on monday (dont get a tonne of days off)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got it sorted, hope bottom bracket tool and a couple of large metal washers did the job, albeit I didn't get the logos lined up (headset removal tool which wasn't the one I was after but was told by the guy it was every bit as good only seems to want to shave bits of metal off the freshly greased installed headset)

On the back of spending all day yesterday looking for my wallet to then report cards lost only to find said wallet 30 minutes later, I'm just about to send reset a shitty email wondering why it wouldn't occur to them to inform me when I enquired about their headset that it would also be a pretty good idea to buy the special tool needed to fit the ****ing thing at the same time.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone with a reset headset, do you have about 1mm of a gap under cover D (the cover that sits under your stem on top of the headset body?