mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Hammerschmidt compatibility

Getting the ICSG mounts on a new Nic AM seems like a good plan, particularly with a view to trying out the Hammerschmidt at some point. Advice on the Nic UK site suggests though that if you want to run a front mech, you're better of running a 68 mm BB shell, rather than the 73 mm option apparently required to fit the Hammerschmidt.

Seeing as it is not really proven yet 'in the field' so to speak, I'd still like to have the option of initially running a front mech on a double chainring set-up and then trying the Hammerschmidt later on. But the above suggests this might be a bit of a non-starter if the 73 mm is required. I must admit, I've not given much thought to why this would be case.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    A 73mm Bottom bracket will not stop any funciton of a conventional front mech, even my old VP-Free (83mm B/B) could run a standard XT front mech, altho the saint 83mm specific front mech is better and what i used in the end, so i wouldnt worry about that side of things you'll be safe i'm sure! Check out the new SLX front mech for dual ring setup, it works well on other 73mm B/B frames, i think they are FD-M665 and FD-M667 models.

Do Nicolai list the chainline for an AM with 73mm Bottom Bracket with ISCG vs 68mm Bottom Bracket without?

As for the Hammerschmidt, i'd like to see it fully tested and proven to be worthwhile as imho it looks very cheap and nasty but i am no fan of their conventional cranks anyway.

I also dislike the size of the setup, it says its like running a single ring but it seems to be quite wide and strange looking.

I guess time will tell and i do hope i am wrong as it seems a very interesting and worthwhile idea. Will be great if it becomes a success and turns out as strong and reliable as what we have at the moment, but tbh a properly setup drivetrain in conventional terms is pretty flawless so as they say "If its not broken!"

Derek

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Derek,

Thanks for that - I'll take a look at those options when the time comes, hopefully in a few months time.

I agree with you - nowt wrong really with a properly set-up and maintained drivetrain, but it is an intriguing idea, and it'd be nice to have the option to give it a go at some point. As you say, time will tell how it performs.