Thread: Getting old

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Getting old

Have been thinking recently about the,Dh and freeride,i dont seem to do any of it now.
    I only ride my Xc/trail bike (AC),The Fr just sits there.
    Any body else the same?
    Am i getting to old? 37
    Is it because i pay a mortgage and i have kids and hundreds of bills to pay,and i am worried about hurting myself and wont be able to pay it all?

mtbr member
    I've got four years on you and I have no plans to slow down... I blame the bike... your selling the wrong one... KEEP THE FR!

mtbr member
    I'm 37 as well and have still to peak. Keep getting held back with daft old man injuries
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    I'm 37 as well and have still to peak. Keep getting held back with daft old man injuries
    daft old man injuries,seems to involve going over the bars usually

"Its All Good"
    I hear you bro......

Best medicine is a trip to Whistler.....

A group from NZ will be there in early September 2012 for 10 days... (Whistler, Squarmish, North Shore etc etc) YEAH HA
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    I hear you bro......

Best medicine is a trip to Whistler.....

A group from NZ will be there in early September 2012 for 10 days... (Whistler, Squarmish, North Shore etc etc) YEAH HA
    That would bring back the riding stoke.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Crikey, a bunch of young pups on here!! Now I feel properly old!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Gawd, never realised this forum was populated by a load of old codgers.

And no Sam, I don't need an FR as well!

mtbr member
    It takes time and experience to become a connoisseur hence nic owners tend to be a bit more mature
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm 38 and yesterday, whilst attempting a 15ft gap jump, I overshot the landing by quite some margin and spent the night in hospital. Currently nursing a broken clavicle!

This thread could not have come at a more timely moment!

mtbr member
    Would it not have hurt/broke if you were 20? Chances are you'd have been going even faster at 20 as well!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    Would it not have hurt/broke if you were 20? Chances are you'd have been going even faster at 20 as well!
    I am a faster rider now than when i was 20.
    It just hurts for longer and in more places now when it does go wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    I'm 38 and yesterday, whilst attempting a 15ft gap jump, I overshot the landing by quite some margin and spent the night in hospital. Currently nursing a broken clavicle!

This thread could not have come at a more timely moment!
    That sucks mate.
    Hope it heals quickly.

"Its All Good"
    geetee - healing vibes to you bro...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    healing vibes geetee dude...I am too old and not bouncy enough any more for that malarchy (Well and not skillful enough either!)
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have you all beat i'm 47 and starting to slow down a liitle bit my thing is I don't want to push a 34 35 pound bike so will probally order my self a AM so I can still ride in those crazy places

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the positive vibes guys. Greatly appreciated.

Dipper I am so much faster now than I ever was at 20, I think because I was doing other things in my 20s and not riding so much nor riding a bike that was as capable as the Nic is. I can handle the pain and discomfort, but the real issue is that I have a two year old and both my wife and I work.

Our routine is that she works early shifts while I work regular 9-5. That means I'm the one that has to get him up, fed, changed and then dropped off at the child minder for 8am. That's now impossible and means we're a bit stuck.

We'll get parents to help, but this is going to be very tricky for 3 months and I think that's what Norcosam was referencing in his original post. It's really hard making it work and I have to say that I think my days of pushing the envelop jump wise have to come to an end. Ultimately, it's just not fair on everyone else around me even if I can handle three months of discomfort.

mtbr member
    As you know Greg happy to help any time possible. Only a few min's away if needed just text or call. (Please note I'm not helping with bum wiping or bath time stuff.)
    Sorry you had gone to bed last night when we rocked up with you car and bike but James requested we play a game of snooker before the return trip !
    Ruth even allowed the bike in the house :-) rather than asking me or James to sell it on E-Bay as you would not be needing it any more.
    All the best and hope you have a speedy recovery the trails will not be the same without you... Even though you were grumpy last ride due to missing your Reverb !
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

mtbr member
    Know what you mean Geetee. I'm possibly faster now as well (mainly thanks to technology progress!) but I rarely crash these days as I dont push my limits the same. It's the length if time it takes to recover that does my head in! A mate of mine broke both his arms a couple years back. His wife had not long had a baby as well. You can imagine the carry on
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    [QUOTE=You can imagine the carry on[/QUOTE]

Or not

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Greg - to echo 5c0tty, if there's anything I can do to help let me know.

He is fast by the way. Or I am very slow...
    OK, I am very slow !

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You see for me, in many ways this thread really highlights just what this game is all about - people.

Scotty and FFTS, you guys are awesome and I'm really lucky to have you as mates! Big thanks for the offers of help (Scotty only lives around the corner from me and along with our other riding buddy, he helped repatriate my car from where we had started the ride from on Sunday).

Here are the x-rays, a pretty straightforward break really and although I have medical insurance, it may just get left to heal. The NHS hardly ever operate to plate broken clavicles. The other one was also done privately although that was broken in two places and really needed sorting out.

mtbr member
    id be a bit concerned with that small gap between the broken parts. if they dont touch they wont start to fuse. my bro in law had exactly the same break a year ago and was off the bike for well over 10 weeks as the 2 parts wouldnt meet in order for healing to start. if he'd had it plated he'd have been operational far quicker.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam View Post
    Have been thinking recently about the,Dh and freeride,i dont seem to do any of it now.
    I only ride my Xc/trail bike (AC),The Fr just sits there.
    Any body else the same?
    Am i getting to old? 37
    Is it because i pay a mortgage and i have kids and hundreds of bills to pay,and i am worried about hurting myself and wont be able to pay it all?
    Im 38 now, 39 soon and the big 40 next year

Time for a 29 i reckon
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Im 38 now, 39 soon and the big 40 next year

Time for a 29 i reckon
    LOL dont let Whafe see this