mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Front Mech issues on 2013 Helius AC

I ordered the direct mount option on my Helius AC 2013 and a Nicolai adapted SRAM mech. Unfortunately the mech is for 2X10 only but I run 3X10 (inner/middle/bash guard). This means the mech I have cannot be setup to work with my 3X10 without it catching the chain.

So I tried a normal clamp on mech but the direct mount tabs get in the way in the lowest gears.

Is there any other direct mount mech that will work with 3X10?

Is there any normal mech that will give better clearance from the AC direct mount tabs?

"El Whatever"
    Shimano 3X10 XT? Cable throw is the same. No compatibility issues like with the rear mech.

Actually, Shimano front mechs are 2X10 and 3X10 with the flick of a switch on the shifter itself.

I'll double check my bike. I can't remember which mech do I have. I know I have a Shimano 2X10 drivetrain and that the shifter has the 2 or 3 X10 option built in.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The problem with a non direct mount mech is the seat tube offset.

There is a 3x10 Sram x9 version but I think you would either have to modify it yourself or ask Nicolai to do it for you.
    Alternatively remove the crank mounted bashguard and fit a chain device with a taco bashguard but remove the top guide and the bottom roller.
    You could get any competent machine shop (or do it yourself if you are happy to) to remove the surplus material of the ISCG mount from the chain device since you only want the bash. That would be elegant and functional.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have a conventional Shimano 3X10 front mech but it snags the direct mount tabs in the lowest range.

Do Shimano make a direct mount front mech that will fit onto the Nicolai direct mount tabs?

Front Mech issues on 2013 Helius AC-large_ac29rawrahmen4.jpg.jpg

mtbr member
    your inner/middle and bash set up should work with the sram mech. sure I've done that before. what shifter are you using?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi Dipper. Using a Shimano XT 3X10 shifter.

My problem is only in the middle ring. If I setup the mech so it doesn't rub the mech in the lowest gear it then rubs in the highest gear and conversely if I make the top gear not rub the lowest gear rubs.

Maybe the problem is the Nicolai/SRAM mech's are for 36T-39T and I have a 32t ring. Perhaps the extra height of the 36T will lift the chain into a part of the mech that will not rub?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
    Hi Dipper. Using a Shimano XT 3X10 shifter.

My problem is only in the middle ring. If I setup the mech so it doesn't rub the mech in the lowest gear it then rubs in the highest gear and conversely if I make the top gear not rub the lowest gear rubs.

Maybe the problem is the Nicolai/SRAM mech's are for 36T-39T and I have a 32t ring. Perhaps the extra height of the 36T will lift the chain into a part of the mech that will not rub?
    Where does it rub, mate?
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    In the largest cog rear and middle front. So the lowest gear available in middle. I can set it up to to not rub there but then the other side rubs ie the smallest cog rear and middle front.

There is no reason I can see for the chain to rub on the mech. Maybe the 2x10 mech just doesn't work with a 3x10 chainset even though I only use inner and middle rings?
    Last edited by scarlet; 12-18-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Front Mech issues on 2013 Helius AC

I do not have a direct mount, but I had to dremel off corner of the cage to clear main pivot for a Shimano derailler. Dremel works wonders. You do not really need all of the cage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Tried the 36tooth ring and the 2X flick switch on the XT mech but nothing works.

I think the problem is to use a 3X10 crank (even though only using 24/32/bash) you need a 3X10 direct mount mech mech. The width of the mech cage on the 2X10 is less than the 3X10. I have managed to source one and will try to get it machined like the nicolai ones.