Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

The FR in many places

Have been travelling loads lately and had the chance to ride in some very different areas.

One weekend was in Woodhill in Auckland, the next in Queenstown at the Super D, the following weekend in San Diego to ride with some friends there.

A few shots, helps me show the versatility of the FR, it has been on epics, quick bursts, a shuttle Super D of 6 hours.... Here there and everywhere and man alive, it doesnt cease to raise a HUGE smile when riding...

Ist batch from the Brake Burner Super D in Queenstown, New Zealand... Saw a few Hobbits..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    This batch from Woodhill, just north of Auckland in New Zealand.... Sand based area, great for the amount of rain that Auckland gets....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    You are a lucky man Whafe, getting to ride in such beautiful conditions. Here in UK we have been blessed with sunshine this weekend, so have made the most of it as it won't last.

How are you rating the Big Betty tyres on your FR? Thinking of getting some, or the F Albert UST, your experience would be appriciated.

"Its All Good"
    A few from the ride in San Diego, US of A

Totally different terrain, had a blast...

"Its All Good"
    Yes Lorni, landed in Heathrow last night on the way to Barcelona... The sun was indeed shining at 4PM, looked a good day... A digression, Britsh Airways lost my baggage again, so cant ride today... FOCK FOCK..... That is 6 out of 6 losses for me last 6 BA flights...

The Big Betty for me rocks. It is for sure my tyre of choice. I am odd, well everyone knows that, but my main concern is the front tyre more than the rear, if the front is good, the rear will follow..... I have not tried the Fat Albert though. Have the Big Sch tyres on all mtb bikes apart from the Jones......

As form the pictures, the terrain and conditions varried hugely... I am not a tyre guru like many though, I get pretty used to things and just ride... But the Big B has not let me down..

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    my gawd, sure looks like tonnes of fun...
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

http://www.mtbcut.tv

steep fast and loose :)
    big betty's rule on dry hardpack terrain. loads of grip, and progressive break-away and drift without total washout. not bad at clearing debris either - think full 2.$" volume Nobby Nic with increased puncture protection.
    the FR however is numb, dull and slow to steer , dont you think whafe ?
    i've been riding dipper's back to back with my 6 pack, and why the FR is so slow to turn (although stable throughout) is proving a mystery.
    in a nutshell, the FR feels like a barge to the 6 packs battleship.
    comments welcomed, solution still unclear ! ? !

simon.

mtbr member
    Wooo Whafe u in the UK now.. just remembered I never got back on your kind Totem offer.. apologies for that. Im getting myself sorted out anyway but once again thanks for offering to help out amigo. Awesome pics BTW... seriously jealous of all those varied places you have been riding Got the bike here in the uk?

rolling Fat Alberts right now.. best tyre I have used.. bit more pricey but well worth it.. massive light and grippy

Drag a bit of the fire roads but otherwise fab

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Killer Whafe! Good to see you putting that beast to good use in all kinds of terrain.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Just stunning...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    big betty's rule on dry hardpack terrain. loads of grip, and progressive break-away and drift without total washout. not bad at clearing debris either - think full 2.$" volume Nobby Nic with increased puncture protection.
    the FR however is numb, dull and slow to steer , dont you think whafe ?
    i've been riding dipper's back to back with my 6 pack, and why the FR is so slow to turn (although stable throughout) is proving a mystery.
    in a nutshell, the FR feels like a barge to the 6 packs battleship.
    comments welcomed, solution still unclear ! ? !

simon.
    Hi Simon, couldnt quite follow your comments, they are for sure worth while as are most comments, but I need more explanation so to speak..

In your opinion are you saying the Helius FR is Numb, Dull and slow to steer... Start a thread and lets discuss this, because I am finding it quite the opposite... Am intrigued on this ..

Thanks for all the comments, wasnt blowing arse, just wanted to show the many terrains etc the FR is proving to me that we built an absolute beast of a bike... I rate it highly....

whafe - dipper's helius FR is basically the same spec as my pack. 2008 Van RC2's, similar finishing kit, he runs a ROCO and I run a CCDB now. similar wheelsets too. come in around the same weights, thereabouts.
    we should start a new thread.
    basically, his FR feels 'long' , slow to steer but relatively stable, although peculiarly numb, which i had previously attributed to good damping control. can anyone highlight the geometrical differences between the 2 bikes ?
    riding them both back to back, the 6 Pack seems to have a much slacker seat angle, but that's about the only physiCAL DIFFERENCE i can feel.
    the 6 pack in comparison feels lightening quick in steering response, fast to turn, more chuckable (and it has a longer top tube !) and with the CCDB, equally as well damped and controlled as the FR, if in fact better controlled as the CCDB allows you to soak into plush sag, unlike the ROCO on the FR.

comments welcome - we're both unsure as to why there's a disparity in feel between both bikes considering the build similarities. is it leverage ratio . leverage action, rear wheel path ? what ? lets discuss,

simon.

mtbr member
    Does dipper's helius FR have custom geo.. ie medium rear large front or anything else which could contribute to that kind of funkiness?

no - standard Large geometry. forks and shock all run in too.

"Its All Good"
    Interesting points. Hard for me too comment, because I am not finding the same feeling with my FR... Is dippers an 08, cant remember?

When I rode up in Glouster area above Boston, I rode a 6 pack for the day and then an 07 Helius FR. I really enjoyed riding the 6 pack, I also really enjoyed the Helius the day previous, I didnt note that one was better than the other.

And I assure you am not tryign to protect my bike so to speak. These are interesitng comments.... I am lovign the quickness and handling when shifting the weight forward in the corners, I feel it nails it.. I too may not be as advanced a rider as you both, not too sure.... But you having both bike available to try side by side will give a very good comparison for sure....

mmmm, thoughts anyone?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Maybe it's just a stem size difference? or even stem and handlebar combo...

bye

Meduix

"Its All Good"
    Good point mediux, one that didnt come to mind for me.... I run a 65mm Sunline stem.

What are you running and what is dipper running stem length wise?

we both ran a 70mm thomson during one of the comparison tests. made little or no difference to the performance.
    additionally, he's now running a 50mm RF D2 and it's still lifeless in comparison,

simon.

we both ran a 70mm stem during one of the comparison tests.
    also, he's now running a 50mm RF D2, to no performance improvement. it's still slow to steer.

simon.

"Its All Good"
    Maybe the 65mm stem is the answer, that 5 mm is a lot ya know...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The two shocks on those frames are worlds apart, the CCDB being much better. I've ridden both...

I suspect that the differences are mainly in suspension tuning and geometry. Measure all of the actual geo as the bikes are configured and your answers will likely be revealed. Tire selection can also have a massive impact on handling feel.

i can't type the letter s
    Dude, now you've got me on the Nicolai forum, boy-beeyatch!

By the time you make it back to SD I should be up and ready to rip with you and the boys

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Dude, now you've got me on the Nicolai forum, boy-beeyatch!

By the time you make it back to SD I should be up and ready to rip with you and the boys
    look forward to that big time

both the riding and you fully healed up....

'All over it!'
    Hey The_Lecht_Rocks, just out of pure interest, I personally have not ridden a 6, but am a FR owner and loving it. I am quite a big lad at nearly 6ft 4 and 240lb and I can say that the Nicolai is by far the stiffest bike I have ever ridden, I would almost go so far as to say the only bike (for me and purely a personal opinion), that comes close to fullfilling the AM/FR divide.

Although this is my own personal bias view, I am really interested to hear your thoughts on the 6 in comparrison to the FR. I know I could hit the Homer forum and read many reviews, but this would be in direct comparrison to the FR.

lornibear - the FR is definitely perceived stiffer (laterally around the pivots and HT) than the 6 Pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast