'All over it!'

FR 08 mated with RX Totem Coil.....

Hi all, what are your thoughts on the above combo? Can the FR with a 11/8 headtube take a totem for a trip to the Alps? Not too worried about the weight issue as it's all gravity assisted. Your thoughts please

"Its All Good"
    Mmmm Lorni, a hard one for sure. Part of me thinks it may well be fine taking into account the fact that a new Helius AM is coming in the future, that out FR's are far stronger....

My mind then says that once we accept a Totem going on a build, that bad boy will then take anything.....

What are the big drops that you can expect in the Alps? I like to think I have given the FR a fairly good work out on jumps, drops etc etc... Of which I dont think has been out of the league of the FR...

I have a Totem 2 Step Air I could have lent you, but it is 1.5, so no good to you....

Am sure some of the peeps far more knowledgeble than myself will tune in on this one...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    Fair point Whafe, just how much stick could you give a 160mm fork? That may be the question I should be asking? I am happy with the performance of the Lyrik up till now, but I am thinking of using my FR for long descents and a little bike park playing. I personally think perhaps an air totem spaced to 170mm perhaps? Not as nice as the coil, but the same weight.

"Its All Good"
    Another good point on how much stick can you give a 160mm fork ??? From what I have read and seen, the Talas 36 is getting a beating from many people.... I know for a fact I have ridden with Aqua in San Diego and his RFX has a Lyric and I would like to say what he is hitting would be giving a Lyric some beans....

It is a hard one for sure. I do know that the FR with a 160mm is satisfying me big time. If I went to Whistler again for a week, I would struggle to decide on the Helius or TFR. I know too that I would still have a hugely good time at Whistler on the Helius FR at 160mm.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    I agree, I am in love with the Helius, it fills gaps that other 6.5 inch travel bikes can't match. I am not in the business of flaming other brands but a friend who has a Nomad rode my FR and loved that much, he is thinking of switching.
    I now have the 50mm stem fitted but still awaiting my new carbon handlebars as the others developed a small crack after the accident. All that is now needed on my return from work is a set of "the one" brakes and a set of Mavic 823 with Maxxis Minion 2.5 for freeride/mild downhill duties and I will be one happy chappy! Glad to hear you are getting on well with yours Whafe.

BTW, next year might be a new frame with the 1.5 headset and ISCG mounts for a true all rounder. Watch this space!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    I personally think perhaps an air totem spaced to 170mm perhaps? Not as nice as the coil, but the same weight.
    Ill be able to tell you in 2-3 weeks how that feels as that is exactly what i am doing... Just waiting on the fork to get shipped

The Totem Solo Air is actually quote a light fork only 80g more than the lyric coil and about 350 more than a 36 RC2... Ill lower it to 165 for Uk then pull it out to 180 for the Alps. Im happy to have the extra 1/2 to 3/4 of pound up front in the knowledge that there is not much that it wouldn't handle.

The coil is defiantly better than the air but i cant stomach the extra weight or lack of adjustability.

The 180mm upfront with 167mm rear running through a CCDB should give fantastic Alps ripping machine

'All over it!'

Hey Karve

Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Ill be able to tell you in 2-3 weeks how that feels as that is exactly what i am doing... Just waiting on the fork to get shipped

The Totem Solo Air is actually quote a light fork only 80g more than the lyric coil and about 350 more than a 36 RC2... Ill lower it to 165 for Uk then pull it out to 180 for the Alps. Im happy to have the extra 1/2 to 3/4 of pound up front in the knowledge that there is not much that it wouldn't handle.

The coil is defiantly better than the air but i cant stomach the extra weight or lack of adjustability.

The 180mm upfront with 167mm rear running through a CCDB should give fantastic Alps ripping machine
    Sounds good buddy, I am planning to keep the Lyrik for normal UK trail centre riding as I believe 160mm forks are the best compromise for us in UK. As a pure desending fork, the extra weight would not really be a burden, as I am also planning a heavy duty wheelset which would make my FR in the Alp Munching region of 38lb - thank god for lift services. Do you think the 180mm would alter the geometry of the free ride. I haven't a clue of the A-C difference between the two forks but if 170mm is upper limit, whats 10mm more

"Its All Good"
    Glad we will have Karve to be the demo cat for the Totem...

I love the 823 rims, have trashed mine on bikes and they have held up great. Very good rim in my book, mounted on Hadleys and with Minion's, nice...

Thinking your FR with a 50 mm stem will be near my Large FR with a 65mm stem.... Yeah baby

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    umm...Totem....

that's a fork for real men

I would love one if I actually had the skills....umm.. FR + Totem...yummy...