Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Forum very quiet?

Just a thought really from when I first became involved about 3 years ago..

Is it a symptom of less Nicolai's? Less awareness? Everyone is riding more? Circumstances change? The march of the big brand and the wünder carbon?
    Just wondered, some of the old guard like Whafe not been seen or heard for long time..riding picture threads stagnated etc...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Maybe the hard winter in the USA has sidelined a lot of us from the middle of the country to the east coast.
    Planning to post my ION16 build once I get my Pike back.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Been riding the snow 3 times a week here in Michigan. Great winter for the fatbikes! All other bikes are asleep.

mtbr member
    I'm here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi there.

I can't believe that it's been almost 3 years since my last post. I'm still into riding and Nicolai, but I'm much less of a fanboy than some years ago.

I kind of digg the innovations of recent years, like the Pinion box, 29er througout the range, even the hardcore-electric-downhill-tanks, but it feels to me, they shifted much more into the gravity direction, than ever before, although always been a gravity kind of company at heart. Being more of cc/tour kind of rider myself, I find it sad they discontinued frames like the Argon CC, Helius RC etc. Maybe they lost sales in that category over the years, that it didn't made sense anymore, but I would really like to see a Helius RC 29er, but that's just my very humble opinion.

Hope you all are doing well, take care!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey Testmaen. The TB 29 is basically the RC 29.
    If you use a 1x11 or light 2x11 with that bike, a German:A 120mm fork and something like DTSwiss 240 hubs with Derby or Light Bicycle carbon rims, a Light stem/bar/brake combo and some light 2.2s you'll have a 24lb 29er tourer/cx/trail bike.

It's hard to compete with the carbon xc frames whereas at trail bike/tour Aluminium makes sense. The market has moved like that.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Hey Testmaen. The TB 29 is basically the RC 29.
    If you use a 1x11 or light 2x11 with that bike, a German:A 120mm fork and something like DTSwiss 240 hubs with Derby or Light Bicycle carbon rims, a Light stem/bar/brake combo and some light 2.2s you'll have a 24lb 29er tourer/cx/trail bike.

It's hard to compete with the carbon xc frames whereas at trail bike/tour Aluminium makes sense. The market has moved like that.
    I feel like the TB is more of a successor to the old 26er helius CC. Maybe even a mix of the first AC. But i could be wrong. Haven't Seen that many builds yet.

mtbr member
    I often check this forum even though I'm not a Nicolai owner and noticed the same thing. I like to think it's because you guys are all out riding instead of posting :P
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    I'm still around, and still riding a Nicolai (AC 29er), but life is busy and I don't spend as much time as I used to posting on forums.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Everyone could just be really happy with their bike!

I've become a bit more involved with a Nicolai themselves which is nice. Lots of new/refined bikes still being produced.

I also don't get some much time top post and am trying to be out riding...a couple of new shiny things in the wings so maybe post something soon.
    Aka chainline...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Not much to discuss. Happy with my Helius AM and will keep riding it for a while.

mtbr member

I've become a bit more involved with a Nicolai themselves which is nice. Lots of new/refined bikes still being produced.

I also don't get some much time top post and am trying to be out riding...a couple of new shiny things in the wings so maybe post something soon.
    Sounds interesting... looking forward to updates... when you can...

mtbr member
    That certainly is the case with me. I could only discuss the possibility of getting lighter wheels for my Argon CC* - not really a "Nicolai" topic...

*DT Spline One XM1501 or XR1501 or DT 240s/CX Ray/Notubes Arch EX (Crest front?) @ 86kg / 190lb; now: Hope Pro II Evo, Sapim Race, Mavic TN719d - bomb proof but heavy
    I would love carbon wheels and tubular tires, but I am afraid that is too expensive...

steep fast and loose :)
    still riding mine in between returning home from the Alps this Winter

"El Whatever"
    I've jumped ships... off the High end market until further notice.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am still about, Now have the Ion 16 650b which i am thrashing at every available spare hour i have.....Loving the bike, Did a mini Enduro earlier in the month on the AC,Have one next month aswell,so will be on the Ion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam View Post
    I am still about, Now have the Ion 16 650b which i am thrashing at every available spare hour i have.....Loving the bike, Did a mini Enduro earlier in the month on the AC,Have one next month aswell,so will be on the Ion.
    Throw a pic up of your ION 16 650b...the ones I've seen look great!

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

"Its All Good"

Forum very quiet?

Hi All

Sorry I have been so slack. Been busy as, as we all have. Not so much time to spend blogging etc.

Still going hard on my Nicolai's, pretty much always ride the Monster Truck, have maybe ridden the AC once in a year... Geo wise it is out of spec big time if that makes sense...

At that point of considering a new frame, bike.... A hard one. A few in my crew have jumped onto 650b and loving it. They are not fan boys, just truly feel there is some benefits of the new norm.. Lol

Still loving the Nicolai's.. The crew are moving over to carbon though, no doubt about that. One Mach 6, a new GT. Very light fast bikes....

I should make an effort, will see how I go, can't make any promises

Sincerely hope you are all well. Shocked to read re pimp, gave me a fright. Shared many emails with him as a good many here have...

Take care and be well all you Nicolai buddies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey Whafe, many are hopping to carbon but it isn't for me, as much because I've yet to find a FS that is exactly what I want. I also find it soul less, there is something about the welding and fabrication skills that go into a metal bike that stirs my soul, not to mention that the frames generally make a Nicolai look cheap even with all the extras!
    Aka chainline...

Axe
    Custom User Title

Forum very quiet?

At most carbon will save me a couple pound, but I have not found one that rides and tracks and last as well as my Helius. Maybe lesser aluminum bikes have a disadvantage in stiffness. And plastic ones cost more. No thanks. I hope my next bike will be welded by same people, not laid up by some anonymous lady in Asia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree Axe, about 20% usually. Better to save it in the wheels..of course all other things being equal and money no object carbon is lighter, but I'll take a Nicolai after a crash any day of the week!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Im still knocking around.... who remembers this from the good old days

Nicolais in Dorking: the pics

Was riding the N Downs last weekend and was reminded of it. I think I saw 4 or 5 nics over the course of the day. Still seem popular down there.
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

"Its All Good"
    Remember that day like it was yesterday.... That FR is still my favorite bike, miss that bike hugely.....

Awesome work re finding that thread
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Drink...sleep
    Ha yes, those were good times! Still occasionally on the FR here, Winterberg and Willingen coming weekend, and taking it to ride the Pass'portes du Soleil in the summer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast