Thread: Fork for ST

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Fork for ST

Has anybody got an opinion on what would be the best fork to use with the Helius ST? My dealer has recommended the Totem coil but I have also read some reviews that indicate some reliability problems with this fork. The Totem Solo Airs seem to be more reliable according to the reviews? I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with either of these and also how they are compared to the new Marzocchi 66's? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I can't find fault if you decide on a Totem Soloair or Coil. Any problems I heard about we're with seals and for 08 those problems seem to be solved. I don't know about the 2-steps though... My friend has a 07 coil and hasn't had any issues. It feels amazing!

I think the jury's still out on the 08 Marzocchi 66's. I've felt a couple and they're nice, but the axel retention system doesn't seem so good. I've read on these threads about a couple issues of the front wheel being loose inside the dropouts and the axel system won't let you get it any tighter. If you decide agains the Totem and can get a new 07 66 RC2X, I'd go for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

a tight kick sound
    Seems all these high end forks all have a few small things about them that are not perfect!
    Damn it.

Anyway. I would think the first ? one should ask is what you wanna do with this bike. If you are gonna be hitting DH runs with lift access most of the time then full coil with no travel adjust mech.
    If you are gonna be doing some climbing here and there or you need to ride to the goods then some form of travel adjust would be nice and maybe even a little less weight.

That said I think even most of the full coil options at least have a drop it and forget option for climbing.

I agree with Cliffy that the 07 66rc2x is prolly the best bet for reliability and least needing of service. I don;t have one fo these though so...

My 07 66 sl has been pretty nice. It has the wind down problem and I do lose a little bit of travel for some reason (not full compression?). I has been a pretty solid fork though.

"Its All Good"
    I would go with the lads thoughts, go a Totom Coil..... I myself never had any issues with my 07 Totem 2 Step, seems I was a lucky one...

But very much so think what your bike is going to be used for. This will help dictate things.

Here is a shot of Falco's bike the Marketing Managers ST from Nicolai,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

a tight kick sound
    MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I bet that thing is Heeellla fast, hella fast, hellas fast!!
    Soooo hot!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Probably will be Totems for me. Whafe, nice photo, much appreciated.

"Its All Good"
    It is and was a beast. How I feel about my Helius FR and the way it handles, the ST can be nothing but pure adulterated beast.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Totem Solo Air is a solid choice. I just threw one on my Highline after riding one for a few weeks last season. Light, strong, reliable.